Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #1516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ Stan

Wish I could comment on the 60B but I've never had the opportunity to shoot with one in the digital era. It's my impression that the advantage the 360B has over the 60B has more to do with tweaking the mechanical design a bit using the floating focus element to help with off-axis CA (and a more "modern" look). It seems to be the same 7/10 optical design so inherent sharpness should be comparable.

I've got a very pragmatic approach to the TC issues though. There's a basket full'a variables involved in IQ an' I feel I can make up for certain perceived "deficiencies" in the TC optics by optimizing other factors such as best exposure choices, steady rests, fast shutters, MTF aperture, good hoods, realistic cropping, etc.

When the TC is the best choice of all the options I have at hand it seems silly not to use it. And I can almost always PP an image to the point that short, of direct, side-by-side comparison with the very best longer lens options (the ones I DON'T have) I can't tell the difference anyway. Given good lenses like the SP Adaptall-2's, the OOF area (bokeh) is typically the most noticeable difference between TCs and cropping for my uses.

I'd certainly like to compare the two some day just to see if I'm right but in the mean time I'd be happy with the 60B for the uses I'd put 'em too knowing that either one is gonna be the best fast-300-400mm lens, I'll ever own.

The Pz-AF 1.4x prices have gone outta sight recently and the 140F is hard to find. I'd prefer the Pz- because swapping out the 140F is such a PITA and the Pz- plays well with other AF lenses too. I can't find a consistent IQ difference between 'em either.

At risk of heresy, I'll note that I didn't find the AF 1.7 to be optically preferable to the Tamron 1.4x options I have, and auto-focus offered no advantages for my own uses, so the decision to sell the AF 1.7 was easy.

At the moment, the 140F lives full time on the 360B because it seems to be as good as my CZ 200-500 at 450mm. I've never seen much point in using a TC on anything but the longest GOOD lens available.

H2

04-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #1517
Veteran Member

As always thank you for your valued input H2.

Once again my combination of LBA and my lack of decision making skills are getting the best of me.

I am considering 2 lenses right now - the 60B and the A-400 5.6. I am leaning in the favor of the 60B in favor of the speed vs. the extra reach of the 400. Actually I am trying to stay away from the use of any TC at all since I've found in the past that cropping a super sharp image sometimes has an advantage over the straight TC image. And, coupled with the fact that I already own and love my FA*300 4.5 also has me leaning toward the 60B again for the speed. I,ve found that a lot of my wildlife shooting here at home happens a lot in the early morning and late evening. The mountains around where I live are tall enough to only have direct sunlight from 10am to 6pm even in the height of summer.

Faster or longer than the FA* 300 4.5 - that's what this all comes down to for me.
04-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #1518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I'm still so entranced by the immediate, shot-to-shot access to useable ISO's above "ASA 100" in the DSLR era that loosin' an f-stop or two to get reasonable results with a TC hasn't seemed too restrictive yet.

H2
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #1519
Pentaxian

I face the same issue with light where I live. The 300 2.8 wide open this winter was giving me 1/100 at 400 iso much of the time. A TC didn't work in those conditions. It is brighter now with spring, and I can get some advantage from my 140F.

Depends on what you shoot. For birds, autofocus is nice for BIF but otherwise you need to do fine manual focussing to get decent results.

04-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #1520
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I face the same issue with light where I live. The 300 2.8 wide open this winter was giving me 1/100 at 400 iso much of the time. A TC didn't work in those conditions. It is brighter now with spring, and I can get some advantage from my 140F.

Depends on what you shoot. For birds, autofocus is nice for BIF but otherwise you need to do fine manual focussing to get decent results.
Good points - thanks for your input!
04-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #1521
Veteran Member

FWIW, I had a great summer last year with the 60b+1.7xAFA! Its a shame I didn't have the tripod set-up I have now when I had those optics, my keeper ratio would have been off the charts.

04-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #1522

i had tamron 90/2.5 adaptall and waiting for the tele converter and the macro ext, i wonder if the tele con can be use wwith other adaptall tamron lenses?

04-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #1523
Veteran Member

If it is the 01f model converter it should be compatible with several other lenses. I had it also and it was really heavy on my 90mm to the point where I didn't like to use it so I opted for finding some extension tubes.
04-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #1524

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
If it is the 01f model converter it should be compatible with several other lenses. I had it also and it was really heavy on my 90mm to the point where I didn't like to use it so I opted for finding some extension tubes.
Yes, it is the 01F model converter, and so how many magnifying if it comes with other adaptall lenses? i.e it will get 1:1 when it attached with 90/2.5, you got the point about really heavy, i did feel the same using with mirrorless and cant wait using with DSLR. thanks for respond
04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #1525
Pentaxian

First day of Spring with my "new" Model 30A

In a recent post, pacerr promised me that I would love my newly acquired Model 30A if I could just bear the weight,

Well, today was my first vaccation day in ages and actually also the first day with a bit of sunshine for ages so, I went for a walk with my 3 pound lens for some handheld shooting:

Click on thumbnails to see large images:

Slightly cropped

Un-cropped original and crop of same

Slightly cropped

- - - - - I think pacerr was right (again)!

By the way and reference the discussion about teleconverters above: I can report that my 30A responds well to as well the Pz-Af SHQ 1.5X (which is actually also only 1.4X), the SP F(ixed) series 2X as the SP 01F Adaptall-2 teleconverters.

Last edited by Stone G.; 04-03-2012 at 01:27 PM.
04-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #1526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Told ya!

And if you're going to hand-hold, a palm rest on the tripod mount such that it frees your fingers for focusing will make a great difference in handling too.

H2
04-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #1527
Veteran Member

A thought occurred to me today and I can't seem to make sense of it.

How come these insensitive adaptall makers didn't include a 50mm f1.2 or f1.4 in their line-up? I can imagine that they would have made a nice one.
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #1528

Damn its really delivered a sharped detail, what exactly 30a?
04-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #1529
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Declan79 Quote
Damn its really delivered a sharped detail, what exactly 30a?
This one: Tamron SP Adaptall-2 80-200mm F/2.8 LD Model 30A
04-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #1530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Declan79 Quote
what exactly 30a?
I think it really would help those of us not fully immersed in Adaptall-nalia if lenses were identified by focal length & max aperture as well as the cryptic model number.