Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2119 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #2206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

I just sent the check this morning, so let me get the 24mm in my hands, and I will PM you and send individual photos, if you like ... OK?!

Salut, J

It's here to the far right sitting on its case ...
Sounds good.

10-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2207
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

Just FYI ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/239111-sale-t...-adapters.html
10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #2208

Trying some lightroom. 35-70 01A. Jean, can you tell me the shipping price to Saint-Petersburg, Russia for working one? Regards.
10-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #2209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spamer Quote
... Jean, can you tell me the shipping price to Saint-Petersburg, Russia for working one?
Bonsoir Spamer,

It is not my ad ... I just posted it for everyone to see ... if case someone needed a PKA ... Salut, J

10-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #2210
Pentaxian

Newest addition ... 01B with Fujica mount ... 58€ delivered to my door ... bravo "Le bon coin" = Obj. photo Tamron 24 mm f 2.5 Adaptall 2 Image & Son Gers - leboncoin.fr

10-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #2211
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since I have a Tamron adaptall lens that is manual. Can I add a AF adapter and change to an A lens? Just curious.
10-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #2212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Since I have a Tamron adaptall lens that is manual. Can I add a AF adapter and change to an A lens? Just curious.
If you add Pentax 1.7x AF adapter, it will only be an 'A' lens if you are using a PKA mount on the lens itself rather than just a PK. And for autofocus to work, you're going to want the lens to be f/4 or faster (f/2.8 is better).

10-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #2213
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If you add Pentax 1.7x AF adapter, it will only be an 'A' lens if you are using a PKA mount on the lens itself rather than just a PK. And for autofocus to work, you're going to want the lens to be f/4 or faster (f/2.8 is better).
I don't know which one mine is. I bought it from Adorama and they said I would need the adapter to make it work on my Pentax. But there is no A on the adapter. So, I can check at Adorama and see which adapter they said I needed for it work on my camera.
10-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2214
Pentaxian

Look for a PKA adapter. It gives you automatic aperture control, ie. you set the aperture you want on the camera body and it does it with a mix of magic and mechanical bits on the lens. If you want my opinion, they aren't worth it. Get an inexpensive PK with no mechanism on ebay, around 12 bucks or so.
10-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #2215
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Look for a PKA adapter. It gives you automatic aperture control, ie. you set the aperture you want on the camera body and it does it with a mix of magic and mechanical bits on the lens. If you want my opinion, they aren't worth it. Get an inexpensive PK with no mechanism on ebay, around 12 bucks or so.
Ok, thanks for the information. I looked at adorama and my order history doesn't show where I bought this lens and adapter. The lens was used, and the adapter was new. But it's not showing up in history. I'll leave it as is.
I know about how to use the M lenses. I have several.
10-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #2216
Pentaxian

I have noticed you are very down on the PKA adapters, calling them flimsy and so forth. I do have one that doesn't work right, and another that is a bit flaky, but they were like that when I bought them. I have several others that have always worked correctly, and I have taken the on and off lenses more times than I would like and they are still fine. So while they aren't the most reliable things in the world relatively speaking, they aren't THAT flimsy, and if you take care with them there is no reason that they probably won't keep working fine. (And if they break they more than likely will still work as PK manual adapters.)

Having a fully working 'A' lens does have a lot of advantages, so I'd just thought I would advocate for the position that the PKAs *are* worth it in some circumstances. Using manual bayonet lenses on my K-01 annoys me a bit, for instance, since you can't dial in EV compensation in M mode (with a non-'A' lens) like you can with more full-featured models, seriously compromising the usability of green-button metering. And I find the Adaptalls often need an Ev adjustment. Using a 'A' lens makes using flash much easier also...
10-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #2217
Pentaxian

It depends how many shots you take. For wildlife it is not uncommon for me to take a few hundred in a trek. I found that they simply wore out. The aperture actuator mechanisms would get worn and start seizing, etc. I repaired them as needed, found that having a small screwdriver set with me became a necessity. I got scared a few times when the mechanisms were stressing the body aperture mechanisms.

They work well when they do. But they are fragile.
10-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #2218
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would add my experience w/ two PKA adapters has been good.

One is fine, and one only displays f/4 when a (faster) lens is fully open, but it is linear so if it is an f2.8 lens, f4 displayed is actually f2.8, and f5.6 is really f/4. Not a major problem. And if I had looked (tried it on a faster lens) when I got it I would have noticed it and could have returned it.

So basically they have worked fine for me.
10-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #2219
Pentaxian

It depends how many shots you take. For wildlife it is not uncommon for me to take a few hundred in a trek. I found that they simply wore out. The aperture actuator mechanisms would get worn and start seizing, etc. I repaired them as needed, found that having a small screwdriver set with me became a necessity. I got scared a few times when the mechanisms were stressing the body aperture mechanisms.

They work well when they do. But they are fragile.
Hmmm...I will have to go beat the hell out of them (by taking lots of shots) and see what happens...
10-16-2013, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #2220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO, Adaptall adapters suffer from the same misapplication as do M42 adapters. Neither are used today in the manner in which they were intended. Both were originally intended to be mounted once (on one body or one lens as appropriate) and used more or less permanently in that configuration. (The M42 adapter was intended to bridge the financial hurdle for the pro with a bag full of screw mount lenses transitioning to the new K-mount bodies -- one adapter per body, not per lens. )

Today, both types of adapters are expected to stand up to repeated lens swapping and in the case of the Adaptall unit being swapped freely from lens to lens to avoid the expense of owning multiple adapters. That's like expecting your new automobile to stand up to 100,000 miles in 12 months with no additional concern for maintenance or wear. If out-of-production adapters seem expensive today try finding original replacement parts for classic cars or aircraft. And the market for well made replicas is miniscule.

The whole idea of the Adaptall line was that a single, excellent optical formula could be shared across the full array of available bodies by using inexpensive mount adapters allowing more resources to be devoted to optics, build quality and marketing. The SP family of lenses achieved that goal very well and only became untenable as the various manufacturers adopted electro/mechanical auto focus schemes that couldn't be economically duplicated with a single body design. Many of Tamron's current lenses are direct descendents of Adaptall designs with dedicated mounts to accommodate modern (OEM) functions.

It's useful to acknowledge the age and potential wear modes of the adapters after many years of use but I wouldn't label them inherently fragile or more prone to failure than a comparable lens of the same era. I have six PK/A adapters, one of which is the early f-4 type and two of which date back to my first Adaptall lenses in the '80s; they all still work as designed with only minimal preventive maintenance. I also have way too many Adaptall lenses and none to date have suffered any mechanical faults. (After the reported 100's of snaps per day I'd expect some wear and maintenance regardless of the type or brand of gear. I'd also note that the cost and effort involved in using film certainly placed practical limits on shutter clicks/day compared to today's rapid-fire digital exercises.)

Shooting with Adaptall lenses isn't a necessity today, it's a choice, perhaps even a privilege, that carries the burden of caring for equipment that may be older than the photographer [don't I wish!]. The truth is, an Adaptall lens may not be the best choice for the typical new shooter any more than a stick-shift, '56 MG would be the ideal ride for a new driver.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.