Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #2401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"Ta-da" ... it's like new. I do not think that it's ever been used ... happy camper, J
Thats a nice one ...felicitations.

03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #2402
52b
Forum Member

03B vs 04B for Portraits

Recently picked up the 04B, and on my APS-C NEX makes a great 300mm (in 35mm equivalent)

I can also use it with my focal reducer to get a 1.089 crop factor and use it as a 200mm ( works out to about 217mm), which can be nice for tight portrait shots.

The 03B has an 8 bladed aperture vs the 6 bladed aperture on the 04B. Was the 03B target towards portrait use hence the 8 bladed aperture?

The 52B has an 8 bladed aperture and on APS-C NEX nex is 135mm, or with focal reducer 98mm

The 03B on NEX would be 202mm, and with focal reducer 147mm

So the question: Is the 03B better suited for portraits when uses as a 200mm, than the 04B used a near it intended focal length.

The 52B used as a 135mm in 35mm equivalent I would think be better than the 03B on focal reducer at 147mm. Only difference really would be DOF, as focal length is pretty close. The 03B on focal reducer would give a max aperture close to f/2.8 vs f/3.8 with 52B

Anyone have some example of the 03B used on Full frame vs APS-C for portraits.

Trying to determine if I made the right decision in going after the 04B instead of the 03B
03-23-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #2403
Pentaxian

Bonjour,

A couple of quickly made test snaps made in the garden this afternoon with the 52BB + (new)18F + PKA + K-5 combo ... First, MFD @ f8, 1/400's (wind), ISO 160 ... second, MFD @ f16, 1/400's, ISO 160 ... both SOOC. Salut, J

04-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #2404
Pentaxian

Arrived in yesterday's mail ... more "AD-2" (edit: should have said just AD) addiction here, just had to try it out and was the only bidder on French fleabay for it ... not bad from a few test shots; like the one touch focus/zoom and the 1:2 macro with dedicated button is nice ... 35-80/2.8-3.5 - Google Translate
(x-post)

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-05-2014 at 10:45 AM.
04-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #2405
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jean, the 35-80 f2.8-3.5 1 touch is not a lens I was aware of. What is the model number? And what is/are your impression(s) beyond "not bad" if you have. Thanks.

P.S., I see it's a QZ 35M and regular adaptall (not Ad.2)--does the regular adaptall 2 lens adapter work?

Last edited by dms; 04-05-2014 at 10:35 AM.
04-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #2406
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Jean, the 35-80 f2.8-3.5 1 touch is not a lens I was aware of. What is the model number? And what is/are your impression(s) beyond "not bad" if you have. Thanks.

P.S., I see it's a QZ 35M and regular adaptall (not Ad.2)--does the regular adaptall 2 lens adapter work?
Bonjour,

It's the QZ-35M ... see adaptall-2.org (Adaptall Lenses subsection)

I put a regular AD-2 PK-M on it (the reallt thick one), but not a PK-A yet.

Forerunner of the 01A ... (?); except 01A is not push/pull and a lesser macro. Here's a good write up ... Tamron Adaptall 35-80mm f2.8-3.5 (QZ-35M) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I will try to evaluate more and post some shots and an opinion later on ... Salut, J
04-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #2407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

06B gotcha

Got one.

I took a chance on this auction.
tamron sp 1:5,6 350mm tele macro 7.3 bbar mc lense. 0500. | eBay
Blenched when I saw how dirty the front element was, but set to work and it cleaned up nicely. Hood is slightly bent, there are specks of dust, a rainbow effect on the rear doublet indicates incipient separation, but NO FUNGUS.
Had to make an immediate sortie to test:
(jpg's cropped and resized, I did some tweaking of contrast etc in Faststone)

Focussing is ticklish, I found my Seaull 2x VF mag beneficial. Howeveer the main problem with these birds was how fast they were scampering around.

This amused me, read on to see what the pink donut is.

And the castle.

So far I am pretty satisfied.

04-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #2408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Got one. ...

So far I am pretty satisfied.
Wow ... a big "congratz" there, marcus !!! Please post us some more captures and evaluations! I am very interested and still on the "hunt" for one at reasonable (read "cheap") price ... dream on! Salut, J
04-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #2409
Pentaxian

I took a chance on this auction. tamron sp 1:5,6 350mm tele macro 7.3 bbar mc lense. 0500. | eBay
Blenched when I saw how dirty the front element was, but set to work and it cleaned up nicely.
Glad to see this pretty "little" lens found a new, good home after so many years of neglect and lack of proper care. Congratulations!

I went over the pictures from the auction and cannot resist sharing one of those........

......... Well, you did take a chance - but judging from your pictures, it was well worth it.
Attached Images

04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #2410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always good to see gear restored to working condition whenever practicable.
04-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #2411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

06B more pics

Thank you Steen, Jean, Pacerr.

I used the vaccuum cleaner to clean the flocking inside the hood! 82mm cap now on order from HK.

More pics.

The cockeral on the church spire serves as one of my regular points of comparison. 06B is not lagging on this one. 100% crop OtC.

The noticeboard looks nice and sharp, but thats resized and I really bumped contrast +35, and sharpened 0.7px +25. I wasn't quite so impressed at 100% (below). I was hopeful that clean rendering from the mirror would produce really sharp edges with little of the coma I tend to observe at the black to white transitions when I photograph this. Diagnosis: it's the camera sensor?

Just a backlit branches shot to show the almost complete lack of PF.

The stone cat also is a regular "portrait" subject (see eg my review of Jupiter 11A). No sharpening, but levels adjusted and contrast +25 ish. Pleased with the definition on the 100% (bearing in mind it was handheld).

Finally another regular point of comparison- the estuary marker. Again 06B is comfortably up there, nice sharp rendering.

I can remark that these mirror lenses are probably better on digital than film because of the ability to bump the contrast in PP.

Off to the bird reserve with lens + TC's when I can....
04-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #2412
Pentaxian

... I can remark that these mirror lenses are probably better on digital than film because of the ability to bump the contrast in PP.

Off to the bird reserve with lens + TC's when I can....
Thanks for your images and input, marcus ! Looking forward to more ... Salut, J
04-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #2413

350/5.6 mirror

To
marcusBMG

"......... there are specks of dust, a rainbow effect on the rear doublet indicates incipient separation, but NO FUNGUS...."

Same of the mine !
Pinkish separation rainbow effect on the rear doublet, but no other issues.
Like as for your one, pictures shooted with this lens requires usually a contrast increment in PP, but are good, expecially with APSC sensors, that crop the outer part of the field.
Focousing is a bit trickly, as for all long focal lenses.
I own two other mirrors, the sibling tamron Adaptall-2 500/8 (B, not BB) and a big MTO 1100/10.5, plus a Sigma 600/8 (in Alpha mount, but this is another story...) and I found the 350/5.6 the easiest to focousing of the group.
Have anyone tried to mount a MF mirror lens with an autofocus teleconverter, one of those that focus moving a lens group inside the teleconverter, making a MF lens an AF one ?

Bye!
04-10-2014, 04:31 AM   #2414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by velocina Quote
Have anyone tried to mount a MF mirror lens with an autofocus teleconverter, one of those that focus moving a lens group inside the teleconverter, making a MF lens an AF one ?
I cannot answer directly to that, but I have made an interesting observation with my copy of the Tamron 350mm f/5.6 Model 06B on any of my Pentax DSLRs:

• Without a TC I cannot have Catch-in-Focus (CIF) and even barely ever focus confirmation (beep and green hexagon).
  • As soon as I use the lens with a 1.4X or 2X teleconverter, I can readliy use CIF, even under less than perfect lightening conditions
Now, CIF is a kind of (manually driven) Autofocus and thus, I believe that the Pentax 1.7X AF converter 'should' work - but it will probably not turn the 06B into anything near to a good birding lens.

(I believe that the reason that the 06B benefits from teleconverters is the fact that in a catadioptric lens, it is the light rays from the outer rim of the lens that are used to form the image. That is also why focusing is more trick than with normal telephoto lenses of comparable focal lengths).
04-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #2415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by velocina Quote
I own two other mirrors, the sibling tamron Adaptall-2 500/8 (B, not BB) and a big MTO 1100/10.5, plus a Sigma 600/8 (in Alpha mount, but this is another story...) and I found the 350/5.6 the easiest to focousing of the group.
All of the mirror lenses are too slow for it to AF with the adapter -- all but the 350/5.6 would be even be too slow too AF without the adapter (if they were AF). The newer models with more sensitivity (K-3, K5ii) may be better with this somewhat, but K-5 etc are hopeless with autofocus if slower then an effective f/6.3, just not enough light.