Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #2506
52b
Forum Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm a bit nervous to try a dis-assembly after having a bad experience with my 52B. (chipping one of the lens elements when trying to clean off some debris stuck on one of the inner elements).

10-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #2507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is easy - just three screws to remove the front shade and barrel. This allows more careful scrutiny of the mechanics and whether there is any evidence of damage. You can also see the top end of the helicoid - a wee scraping of good looking grease present on mine.
As far as proceeding from here, the screws hidden under the rubber grip are clearly key, however it is not clear to me at the mo whether to just go ahead and undo these, or the one inset (stop?) screw, or what the consequences might be...in these circumstances if inspection doesn't provide an answer or at least a clue, then its usually a case of judiciously sucking and seeing: take the screws out, see what now moves.... think again...
But in principle I think this is indeed a relatively simple lens.
Addendum: so if you want to apply some silicone etc then this is the way to go.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
10-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #2508
52b
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
This is easy - just three screws to remove the front shade and barrel. This allows more careful scrutiny of the mechanics and whether there is any evidence of damage. You can also see the top end of the helicoid - a wee scraping of good looking grease present on mine.
As far as proceeding from here, the screws hidden under the rubber grip are clearly key, however it is not clear to me at the mo whether to just go ahead and undo these, or the one inset (stop?) screw, or what the consequences might be...in these circumstances if inspection doesn't provide an answer or at least a clue, then its usually a case of judiciously sucking and seeing: take the screws out, see what now moves.... think again...
But in principle I think this is indeed a relatively simple lens.
Addendum: so if you want to apply some silicone etc then this is the way to go.
Thanks! That's a good start. How did you remove the rubber grib? Does it go back in place properly without stretching it out?
10-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #2509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 52b Quote
How did you remove the rubber grib?
Use something small to get under the edge, get a grip and ease it off without over stretching it - easy.

10-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #2510
52b
Forum Member

Still haven't found the right grease to use.

I'm thing this product will be best as its designed for helicoids: MicroLubrol? HELIMAX-XP? Camera Lens Telescope Optical Instrument Focusing Helicoid Grease w/ PTFE 1oz 28g

Or do you think its ok to use the black lithium RC car bearing grease: New Traxxas Part 2717 Thrust Bearing Lube Black Lithium | eBay
10-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #2511
52b
Forum Member

I bought the HELIMAX-XP grease off ebay. Came in a 1 oz container. (seems like enough grease to last a long long)

I put some grease along inside threads of the helicoid on my 03B. Seems to have made it a bit smoother, especially at the far end of the focus throw where it would take a bit more strength to get it moving.

I'm wondering if i removed enough of the old grease with the lighter fluid for the new grease to be effective.

I'm guessing the proper way would be to remove the entire helicoid completely remove the old grease and then re-grease
10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #2512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 52b Quote
I'm guessing the proper way would be to remove the entire helicoid completely remove the old grease and then re-grease
+1
Thats what I had to do with my tamron nestar - a really diligent clean of the old grease.

10-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #2513
52b
Forum Member

I'll have to add that to my project list. For now it's focusing smoother then before so its more useable.
11-04-2014, 02:48 AM   #2514
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have accumulated some fine Adaptall lenses thanks to this thread. Amongst my favorite ones are:

• SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 01A – very good IQ, but not that good for infinity shots,
• Adaptall – 2 28mm F/2.5 (02B) – renders good wide open with some slight glow, but details are there; also nothing special for landscape,
• Adaptall – 2 35-70mm F/3.5 (17A) – not so sharp as 01A for “macro” but also capable, it is much better for infinity shots compared to 01A; it is not a SMC lens, so not especially flare resistant; I got my very cheap and won’t let it go even if I have probably too many overlapping lenses.

Example from my 01A

… and this from Adaptall-2 35-70 (17A)

Adaptall-2 200/3,5 04B
11-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #2515
Pentaxian

One more disassembly question

I want to clean my SP 28 – 80 (27A) which has some (not growing) fungus on the first lens (outer glass). However fungus is not growing and has not especially big impact on IQ, so I didn’t done it until now. Has someone experience opening this particular lens?
11-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #2516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good pics Piotrek.
Removal of the first element should be straightforward with a lens spanner - undo the ring with notches in. But IMO if the fungus is very light, very small or only at the edge, and you are keeping the lens, I wouldn't bother.
11-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #2517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Good pics Piotrek.
Removal of the first element should be straightforward with a lens spanner - undo the ring with notches in. But IMO if the fungus is very light, very small or only at the edge, and you are keeping the lens, I wouldn't bother.
I would second marcus' suggestion. If it doesn't show up in IQ, it's probably not going to be worth the effort. You may end up doing more "harm" than "good".

As to old saying goes, "If it works, don't fix it !" Nice images & good luck, J
11-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #2518
Pentaxian

Thanks for the the replies . This is exactly what I done after getting this lens, maybe I can try to resist now and in the future!

Last edited by Piotrek K; 11-04-2014 at 09:30 AM.
11-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #2519
Pentaxian

Some other examples from Adaptall-2 200/3,5 (04B) lens used as a long range lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
11-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #2520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Some other examples from Adaptall-2 200/3,5 (04B) lens used as a long range lens.
I like the first one ... TFS, J