Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #2896
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,477
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, sort of, but better than being stuck in M mode, yes. No doubt the slow f/6.9 max aperture is the reason -- probably none of the brands could deal with that as an automatic setting. (Isn't it just bending your mount if the ear has no where to go?)
(no doesn't bend the mount the tab just sits on the barrel). Well that's why I'm asking about the earlier versions.
My 31A has two slots and works normally with PKA mounts, apart from showing f4 on camera rather than f5.6.
When 06A appeared the PKA mount hadn't been introduced at that point (1979), so what ever the reason they made it like this it wasn't because "PKA couldn't deal with f6.9"

The point is that several mounts had two tabs inc the PK-M adaptall-2 (though the PK-M adaptall-1 only had one), so it is strange that this AD-2 lens was designed in this manner


Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-07-2016 at 01:21 PM.
02-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #2897
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,001
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
(no doesn't bend the mount the tab just sits on the barrel). Well that's why I'm asking about the earlier versions.
My 31A has two slots and works normally with PKA mounts, apart from showing f4 on camera rather than f5.6.
When 06A appeared the PKA mount hadn't been introduced at that point (1979), so what ever the reason they made it like this it wasn't because "PKA couldn't deal with f6.9"
I'm not talking about their own mounts, but the bodies they are mounted to. That lens doesn't have the AE setting there at all on the lens, so it is going to be non-automatic on not just Pentax, but Canon and Nikon and Olympus, etc etc -- all the mounts they made. I'm not sure which ones took advantage of the AE setting, but it is likely that is too slow for all of them. They probably figured why put a setting on there that will not work properly with any camera body? (Or it was just matter of timing if that was one of the first adaptall-2 models, although I know some of the others from the same year do have double-tabs so I suspect the slow aperture as the primary reason.)
02-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #2898
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,477
Well your hypothesis might well be right. I am still curious to know if this lens' predecessors were the same.
02-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #2899
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
(no doesn't bend the mount the tab just sits on the barrel). Well that's why I'm asking about the earlier versions.
My 31A has two slots and works normally with PKA mounts, apart from showing f4 on camera rather than f5.6.
When 06A appeared the PKA mount hadn't been introduced at that point (1979), so what ever the reason they made it like this it wasn't because "PKA couldn't deal with f6.9"

The point is that several mounts had two tabs inc the PK-M adaptall-2 (though the PK-M adaptall-1 only had one), so it is strange that this AD-2 lens was designed in this manner
The reason for 06A being made with only one tab slot instead of two may very well have been was because of "PKA cannot deal with f6.9". On my Z-500, there is only one slot and the aperture ring only goes up to f22, therefore no hope of PK/A automation possible. On the other hand, my Adaptall CW-28 and CT-105 both introduced in 1976 have 2 slots, an AE mark on the aperture ring with a A or M switch on the lens barrel. PK/A mount adapter works properly with both of these lenses with the aperture ring locked in AE setting, with the switch set to A.

On my Adaptall-2 54B, 300/5.6, insulating the chrome body of the adapter between two contacts near the bottom makes my k-5 read the maximum aperture as f5.6 instead of f4.0. I am using a small piece of Scotch brand tape as the insulator.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #2900
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,477
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
On my Adaptall-2 54B, 300/5.6, insulating the chrome body of the adapter between two contacts near the bottom makes my k-5 read the maximum aperture as f5.6 instead of f4.0. I am using a small piece of Scotch brand tape as the insulator.
That's good info I had been meaning to look up the contact pattern to achieve that. Thanks.

But your PKA theory isn't right, can't be, because as already mentioned the PKA mount wasn't introduced until 1983 - well after the introduction of the 06A (1979) and it's predecessors.
02-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #2901
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,884
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
well after the introduction of the 06A (1979) and it's predecessors.
Certainly true -- but we can't account for the pre-production R&D that went into photo decisions in that transitory era. It would be great if we had the historical insight into the Adaptall lenses history like the Leica's for example. That was a time of great turbulence in the industry, both for computer design, re-tooling and use of modern (plastic?) materials.

The Adaptall (and T-mount) path was wonderfully effective and economically marketable until the beginning of the AE/AF trend in cameras negated a common mechanical design suitable to a universal optical solution with simple adapters.

I/We value Pentax's adherence to the dimensions of the M42/K-mount lenses for maintaining legacy lens compatibility but it's cost us the flexibility of using 2nd-party lenses which required a larger mount diameter to accommodate ALL brand's solutions to AE/AF. For instance, we see that today in the lack of modern lenses from Tamron/Sigma -- a function of the relative size of the Pentax market and R&D costs/ROI.

Until a recent minor spinal injury affected my ability to use heavy, manual focus lenses I've always valued the utility and IQ of my Adaptall lenses which I've used since the 'mid-70's -- now I'm transitioning to 3rd-generation Tamron AF lenses as a practical solution.
02-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #2902
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
That's good info I had been meaning to look up the contact pattern to achieve that. Thanks.

But your PKA theory isn't right, can't be, because as already mentioned the PKA mount wasn't introduced until 1983 - well after the introduction of the 06A (1979) and it's predecessors.
I wouldn't call it a theory but nevertheless, my 2 Adaptall lenses with faster maximum aperture (f2,8 and f2.5) has 2 slots while the Z-500 with slow maximum aperture has only 1 slot. Fast forward to the introduction of Adaptall-2 (1979); all AD-2 lenses seem to have 2 tab slots, the exception being your 06A (f6.9) with 1 tab slot. The next slowest lens (f5.6) is my AD-2 SP 54B 300/5.6, which has two slots. All of the 2 slotted lenses work well with PK/A adapter, the Z-500 with 1 slot do not. It's only empirical evidence but the demarcation point where PK/A function is no longer possible is f6.9 and even though your 06A is an Adaptall-2 lens, it retained the original Adaptall mount (maybe?).

According to adaptall-2.org, AE is possible with 06A and I have seen the lens being sold with PK/A adapter (used). Presumably, the person that traded the lens in to the local camera store was able to get AE function from the 06A and the PK/A adapter combination - I wasn't able to when I tried the lens in the store and I did not bother getting it, at the time I was eyeing either 31A or 60B instead.
02-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #2903
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,477
Yes all my early adaptall lenses have 2 slots and work by and large with my PKA mounts, that includes an early version 135mm and an early version 28mm, they date from possibly as early as c. 1973 ie predating the K mount itself. The exception has proved to be these f6.9's, which is why I remarked upon it. Adaptall-2.org is incorrect in suggesting that the 06A can work with PKA mounts, it's clear the lens has not been designed like that*. The review by T. Gade linked to on the 06A review page mentions this too. I can add that the first gen PK mount had only one tab, the second tab came in on the ad-2 mount to provide f-stop reading in the window on eg MX and other models.
If the reason tamron did not design in auto aperture with these lenses is because of incompatibilities due to the slow aperture (which seems the likely explanation), those incompatibilities are not specifically with pentax IMO but other cameras.

*or is it possible that late versions had been modified/updated?

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2016 at 20:46 ----------

Anyway here's a couple of 06A pics. I haven't found this to be an easy lens to use, focus is more tricksy/difficult to nail, even in LV, than with my 31A and good sharpness has been a struggle. Both at f11, #2 with flash, K5.






Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-10-2016 at 01:38 PM.
02-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #2904
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Certainly true -- but we can't account for the pre-production R&D that went into photo decisions in that transitory era. It would be great if we had the historical insight into the Adaptall lenses history like the Leica's for example. That was a time of great turbulence in the industry, both for computer design, re-tooling and use of modern (plastic?) materials.

The Adaptall (and T-mount) path was wonderfully effective and economically marketable until the beginning of the AE/AF trend in cameras negated a common mechanical design suitable to a universal optical solution with simple adapters.

I/We value Pentax's adherence to the dimensions of the M42/K-mount lenses for maintaining legacy lens compatibility but it's cost us the flexibility of using 2nd-party lenses which required a larger mount diameter to accommodate ALL brand's solutions to AE/AF. For instance, we see that today in the lack of modern lenses from Tamron/Sigma -- a function of the relative size of the Pentax market and R&D costs/ROI.

Until a recent minor spinal injury affected my ability to use heavy, manual focus lenses I've always valued the utility and IQ of my Adaptall lenses which I've used since the 'mid-70's -- now I'm transitioning to 3rd-generation Tamron AF lenses as a practical solution.
Very sorry to learn about your spinal injury, I hope it wasn't too serious.

Afaik, only Canon made the switch to a new mount (orphaning my camera of choice at the time), Nikon I am told has some utility for their MF lenses for some select bodies. Pentax, as you've described it was a blessing for me, or it could be considered a curse - if the downgrade path wasn't so damn limitless, I probably wouldn't have indulged in LBA so much.

Which AF lenses have you replaced your Adaptalls with, I've been looking at the size and weight of 30A and comparing it to the modern AF counterparts and it's mostly comparable.
02-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #2905
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,884
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Which AF lenses have you replaced your Adaptalls with
The 360B became a DA*300, the 30A became a Tammy AF 70-200/2.8 and the herd of 52B/BB's gave way to the AF 90/2.8. Between older eyes and a weak left hand I'm probably better off now with AF functionality but it's hard to give up a half century of MF habits.

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
. . . the switch to a new mount . . .
The point was that the diversity in new AE/AF functions across all brands exceeded the ability to economically accommodate all the proprietary lens mounts within the constraints of the AD-2-type adapters. The physical location of electronic contacts and, especially the screw drive AF mechanisms, just couldn't be matched to a universal lens barrel design with an adapter that had to meet lens registration dimensions. It might have been barely doable if there had been electric AF drives then rather than mechanical drives.

I wonder what possibilities might exist if all body/lens functions could be a universal, wireless "fly-by-wire" interface design. Think of the potential for a tilt/shift lens with total digital controls.

Last edited by pacerr; 02-11-2016 at 01:00 AM.
02-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #2906
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
The 360B became a DA*300, the 30A became a Tammy AF 70-200/2.8 and the herd of 52B/BB's gave way to the AF 90/2.8. Between older eyes and a weak left hand I'm probably better off now with AF functionality but it's hard to give up a half century of MF habits.
I am sort of doing the same thing myself though I have not reached the stage of replacing the MF lenses, more like acquiring AF lenses in conjunction to MF lenses. I'll probably end up parting with the 30A soon, having recently acquired a Sigma AF 70-200/2.8 HSM. The older gent from whom I acquired the 54B a while back, also had weak left side. He had his 19AH lubed such that there was almost no resistance when the focus sleeve was turned - I couldn't use it because I would end up overshooting the focus point by a big margin then do the same when I tried to correct it but he had no problem focusing with the lens. It may or may not work for you but you might give this a try with one of your spare lenses.
02-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #2907
Site Supporter
Moe49's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 487
I believe this is my 1st Adaptall Club post. Howdy.

I was out last December shutter-bugging with my Tamron 60B hoping to find something interesting to point it at.
I came across this and took a couple of snaps. The sky was really blue that day, and I like how it reflected vividly on the still water pools near the object.



( X-post'd at Pentax Film SLR Discussion/ Lets see those ''film'' shots )

Camera: Pentax K2
Lens: Tamron SP 300mm 60B (thanks Andy !)
Sensor: Kodak Ektar 100
Developing & Scans: Dwayne's Photo
Post Processing: Picasa (WB, ND filter)

Last edited by Moe49; 03-21-2016 at 03:56 PM.
02-12-2016, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #2908
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,884
Wow! Is that an alligator or a crocodile skull?
02-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #2909
Site Supporter
Moe49's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 487
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Wow! Is that an alligator or a crocodile skull?
If that were a skull, it would have belonged to something as large as a T-Rex
Spooky looking, eh?

Last edited by Moe49; 02-12-2016 at 02:58 PM.
02-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #2910
Senior Member
PiotrKrochmal's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Poland -> Kraków
Posts: 186
hi everybody,
So I bought two Adaptall 2 lenses one is 90 macro and second is 300 2.8 60B. I bought also two A adapters but I have problems that one of them shown only aperture @4. So I do some comparisonsand found than it is misaligned twist. But This topic is about lenses so I I have some photos for you.
At first
Pentax K5 + tamron 300 60B 300 2.8 @ 2.8 @ almost minimum distance


and with Pentax x1.7 AF Adaptor

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
04b, 200mm, adaptall, adaptall-2, bb, canon, code, fd, fyi, image, images, information, instant, iso, lens, lenses, list, mount, pentax, pentax lens, photography, pm, post, review, salut, tamron, thanks, thread, website
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 (K mount) and Tamron Adaptall 24mm F2.5 with Tamron P/K ada pxpaulx Sold Items 4 08-27-2010 08:47 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron Adaptall 2 PK-A Mount (US) K10Perry Sold Items 2 04-05-2010 05:37 PM
Tamron Adaptall mount trev99 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 03-01-2010 09:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top