Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Soap bubbles?

02-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #2927
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Soap bubbles?
Fun with flare ... maybe it was due to the Hoya UV HMC. Odd, fun result.
02-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #2928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
fun result.
Agree.
02-21-2016, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #2929

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Few days ago I got Adaptall - 2 104 A lens (70 - 250 3.8 - 4.5) and I'm rather impressed with the results. According to my limited testing the lens seems usable wide open at 250 mm and really good when stopped down to 5.6. It is not that easy to focus at longer distances (no "infinity hard stop" when zoomed to 250 mm, at least in my copy, so live view with magnification seems to be best method).

It also seems it should be usable with Adaptall 2x teleconverter. The weather is bad here, so I cannot judge but my tests look promising. I cannot really compare results with the previous ones without the TC (much slower speeds even with higher ISO and rain which most probably wipes much detail away - +/- 100 m to the usual target) but it seems quite sharp. Moreover the lens has very simmilar design to the 103A model which I once tested just for fun with the TC and it was not that bad combo.
After your post I had spent more time on examination those two adapters. And I got to conclusion that you are right. Yes those two are different but it look like two different series. There is no twist. difference come from same project changes. But as I don't have time, I do nothing with f/4 model. But last saturday, I had some time to walk and do some more tests. After whole day, miracle happens. It started to work properly.

before that moment it show +1EV but I have to make +2 EV compesation for ETTR.
// Tamron 90mm at this photos show +1EV aslo with AF adapter
// All photos with PS in LR

More examples:
Adaptall and AF Adapter - krochmal

02-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #2930

Brief introduction

Hi there fellow photographers. After a couple of years of constantly stumbling upon then going to this forum each and every time I happen to be looking for info about Adaptall lenses, I figured, what the hell, let's subscribe, so here I am. Salutations to you all.

If I can work it out, I'd like to help getting out from morosity and bad weather with a couple of pics from last summer taken with 23a 60-300mm.
Cheers !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
02-24-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #2931

I've got one of those 23a lenses as well. LeCat, your pictures just reminded me to dig it out and give it some attention since I haven't used it for some time. That's because the 65B 400mm is sort of "permanently" on the K-5.

Here's a shot taken with the 65B & flash - that's dental hygiene for you!

02-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #2932
52b
Forum Member

I recently switched from an APS-C (NEX-5) camera to Full-Frame (A7II). I used my 03B quite a bit on my NEX-5 and got some really great shots. On my A7II the 03B seems quite a bit different. Don't recall it having such swirly bokeh (see attached images). Anyone else's boken on the 03B look like mine. I did take this lens apart a few months back to grease the focusing helicoids and take out some dust. Maybe it didn't quite go back to together or there is a fingerprint or something on the internal elements.

Last edited by 52b; 03-17-2016 at 08:29 AM.
02-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #2933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect the relative magnification and apparent DOF plays a part here. Try comparing actual image sizes vs. subject on the sensors of APS-C and FF bodies?
02-25-2016, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #2934

Something from last saturday:
K5 + 52B + AF Converter
02-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #2935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great 3D effect Piotr. Do you think changing position to one side or the other to just have smooth wall in the background is possible?
02-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #2936

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Great 3D effect Piotr. Do you think changing position to one side or the other to just have smooth wall in the background is possible?
not fully sure what do you mean. But idea was to make head frame from facade backround.
02-27-2016, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #2937

QuoteOriginally posted by Rooihennie Quote
I've got one of those 23a lenses as well. LeCat, your pictures just reminded me to dig it out and give it some attention since I haven't used it for some time.
So I dug out the 23A and took it to task . . . its late summer here in South Africa now which makes for lots of cloudy sunsets. Here from my home I can't see the sunset directly, but only the reflection off the clouds.

Tamron Adaptall 23A:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D750  Photo 
02-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #2938
Pentaxian

Here's some older wide open 01A images that I uploaded to filckr ... I really need to use this lens more often.

02-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #2939
52b
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I suspect the relative magnification and apparent DOF plays a part here. Try comparing actual image sizes vs. subject on the sensors of APS-C and FF bodies?
Thanks pacerr! I don't have the APS-C camera anymore. But I suppose I can put the FF camera in crop mode to accomplish the same thing. I cleaned the lens once again. Cleaned the inner elements and was sure not to leave any traces of eclipse cleaner or cleaning marks. I cleaned both sides of the rear element. I may have made a mistake a put the element in backwards. As when i was cleaning it I almost dropped it and lost track of which side was up/down. Then I noticed that one side had a slight hairline circular mark that was left by the retaining ring. So I knew that was the side that should face the sensor. I took some pictures with it both ways and didn't notice must of a difference. The diagram on adapatall-2.org show the rear element looks almost the same on both sides.

I think this may have solved my issue. I'll have to take the lens out again to try and recreate the bokeh to see if looks as swirly
02-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #2940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wishin' ya good luck.

I quit comparing lenses years ago unless I had good reason to consider a significant upgrade. And then only if I could directly compare images i hand. A lens is either satisfactory or not -- excluding operator error!

I get as good PRACTICAL results from 30+ year old Adaptall-2's as I do from current Tamron lenses*,with due regard to modern coatings which I've learned to accommodate. (A recent spinal trauma has caused me to 'advance' to to AF lenses, not because they produce better focus but because technology has made it possible and necessary for me.)

Truth be told, my day-to-day attention to detail has affected my image results (film or digital) more than any $$ expenditure I've ever made chasing better images -- an' I've put up with suppressing LBA for half a century for economic reasons.