Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 01:05 PM - 6 Likes   #3841
Pentaxian

51A Soft not Soft

51A 70-150/2.8 is very sharp when you don't engage the soft focus mechanism.

07-10-2019, 01:26 PM - 3 Likes   #3842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some pics with a minty 52B 90mm macro. Pentax K3, mostly using a tripod as a monopod, to-and-fro movement to focus. The breeze made things difficult.... Click on the images to see full size.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-10-2019 at 01:41 PM.
07-10-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #3843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SP 200 teleconverter

Just a personal experience with this item.

The practical advantage of the SP 200 over the SP 01F appears to be in its intended use for photographing flat, 2-dimentional subjects such as paintings and copy material -- i.e., flat-field material.

In the years I was fortunate to have both I could find no practical advantage for the SP 200 for the use I had for them.

In the digital era I found the SP1.4x to be far more useful, and to reflect the capabilities of the lens paired with either of them, than the TC itself. Admittedly, I did very little flat sheet copy work and never put it to a true test.

One of my favorite pairings was (and still is) the SP 80-200 zoom with the 140F when a little more reach was needed -- generally in close-up applications but it was useful as a pseudo-400mm also.
07-10-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #3844
Forum Member

ok, even tho i prefer my 40a, the 22a is capable also ... handheld, soc.

Attached Images

07-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #3845

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I have had a similar issue with an 01A and a 22A. The mechanics become worn and slack, resulting is the possibility of a slight movement like pressing the shutter nudging things out of focus. Is there play in the mechanics (focus, zoom)? Or a loose element (shake the lens)?
The movement does seem to have gotten slack, I can hold the lens vertically (front element top) and it will slightly extend under its own weight. Nothing loose or falling apart however, no weird noises or rattles, still feels solid as a rock except for this focus problem. Can it be fixed? Or should i just keep it for macro and find another one of these wonderful adaptalls?
Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-11-19 at 08:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Zoom-focus coupling is shot, maybe. I'd think that getting the lens repaired would be more expensive than buying another 17A (or 01A).

If @marcusBMG sees this perhaps he could offer some insight.
Thanks!
07-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #3846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim_RichertImages Quote
Can it be fixed?
If you peel off the rubber grips you shall see some screws and maybe some cams, which you can try tightening. Otherwise it's likely to be a full disassembly and replacement of worn parts, which with this lens is not worth the effort - a better one is easily acquired cheaply (here in UK anyway).
07-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #3847

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
- a better one is easily acquired cheaply (here in UK anyway).
Decently cheap here as well $20-40 US seems to be the average. Biggest problems at least here in my area (FL) is the lack of camera shops so unless buying current lenses its all trusting online descriptions.
Thanks for the help, gonna go see what I can find since I've got a keys trip coming up next week.

07-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #3848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two versions of 500mm mirror 55B

I hadn't realised there are two versions of 55B, an early one with an integral sliding hood and a later one with a screw in hood. Pics here:

Tamron Adaptall 500mm f/8 SP Mirror (55B) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
07-20-2019, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

19AH

19AH + Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S... works a little better than I expected, I cropped away 75% of the frame

08-03-2019, 07:12 PM - 6 Likes   #3850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took the 19AH to a local pond today, twice.

08-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #3851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Just a personal experience with this item.

The practical advantage of the SP 200 over the SP 01F appears to be in its intended use for photographing flat, 2-dimentional subjects such as paintings and copy material -- i.e., flat-field material.

In the years I was fortunate to have both I could find no practical advantage for the SP 200 for the use I had for them.

In the digital era I found the SP1.4x to be far more useful, and to reflect the capabilities of the lens paired with either of them, than the TC itself. Admittedly, I did very little flat sheet copy work and never put it to a true test.

One of my favorite pairings was (and still is) the SP 80-200 zoom with the 140F when a little more reach was needed -- generally in close-up applications but it was useful as a pseudo-400mm also.
I appreciate your commentary about the SP200. It's been a worm in the back of my mind for a couple years.
08-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #3852
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I pondered this statement for awhile. I purchased an SP 01F new in 1982 and at the time, it's flat-field design/performance (essential for copy work), particularly with the SP 90/2.8 Macro (52B) was its strong selling point. The SP 200F, despite its storied off-axis sharpness, was (famously) only officially compatible with a limited selection of premium long tele primes and zooms (i.e. of limited value for flat copy work). Does it actually fit the 90mm 52B or other focal length that would be useful for copy work and would have the optical qualities to match the converter? I would imagine that the original intended market was wildlife and bird photographers.

Steve
08-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #3853
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I pondered this statement for awhile. I purchased an SP 01F new in 1982 and at the time, it's flat-field design/performance (essential for copy work), particularly with the SP 90/2.8 Macro (52B) was its strong selling point. The SP 200F, despite its storied off-axis sharpness, was (famously) only officially compatible with a limited selection of premium long tele primes and zooms (i.e. of limited value for flat copy work). Does it actually fit the 90mm 52B or other focal length that would be useful for copy work and would have the optical qualities to match the converter? I would imagine that the original intended market was wildlife and bird photographers.
Similar to the 2x-L TC from Pentax, the only real difference I noticed with the 200F vs the cheaper one is better edge sharpness and aberrations near the edges, but it was fairly subtle. I've only used them on APS-C sensors -- possibly on a full-frame there is a big difference in the edges I can't see. Center sharpness wasn't any better as far as I could tell. Whether this was a field curvature thing or it was just sharper I couldn't say.
08-07-2019, 07:40 PM - 3 Likes   #3854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos from a wet, dreary morning... K-3 II + 31A, tripod-mounted. Not at all anticipating this lovely Eastern Tiger Swallowtail approaching my Rose of Sharon for brunch, the 31A is not my choice for butterflies. Compound that with my sudden desire to photograph the butterfly as it either approached or departed a flower, and I don't exactly have a series of my best-captured photos to display.

But I do like the the action captured. I think I need to practice more.

The butterfly was 20-30 feet away, so fairly heavy cropping was involved - 50-75% - and pushed 1 or 2 stops in PP.

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-07-2019 at 07:46 PM.
08-08-2019, 05:31 AM   #3855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good results with the 31A luftluss. I have tried closer focus with the 31A and I don't think it's a strong point....