Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #1456
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As soon as I have a D700 in hand or D800 on order I will gladly move the P/KA a few more things to hammer out here before I can drop on a new camera (need all the paperwork crossed/dotted and signed off on etc.) unfortunately. Good news is there is a local looking at a D800, and I might pick up his D700+grip depending on his asking price.. or what he'll take more like it.. I'm already looking at the D800 as well, so his D700 price would have to be pretty decent.

03-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #1457
Veteran Member

Here are today's rejects from my Singles In. The saturation of colour in low light is amazing. At one stage I even turned down saturation in PP. unheard of!!!

Really happy with this lens.

And one of Elsie for luck..

kx, tamron adaptall 35-80 01a. click on images for exif data
03-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #1458
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Here are today's rejects from my Singles In. The saturation of colour in low light is amazing. At one stage I even turned down saturation in PP. unheard of!!!
And one of Elsie for luck..
Bonjour wolfiegirl,

Nice pics ... and looks like I'll be putting an 01A on my radar screen/shopping list.

Allez et bonnes photos, J Frog
03-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #1459
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
If you can just overcome the weight and bulk of the 30A you're gonna love it.
H2
I love it already. It IS heavy (my copy weighs 1536 grams with tripod mount, PK/A adapter, lens hood and lens covers included), but results so far are surely promising:

Picture taken at 5 meters distance:

Crop of the above:

200mm around closest focusing distance:

200mm at about 25 meters distance:

Approx. 120mm @f/2.8

All hand held except for the first image and all images are unprocessed JPEG straight out of the camera (other than resizing and cropping). I think this lens is a keeper!

Last edited by Stone G.; 03-04-2012 at 03:37 PM.
03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote

"Small but Mighty" as the Tamron 01A brochure said.Your pictures highlight what has been a puzzle to me: That this lens was very much overlooked and under-priced even in recent years. Well, with all the publicity we are giving it, prices are sure to increase........?
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #1461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Nice pics ... and looks like I'll be putting an 01A on my radar screen/shopping list.
Thanks John You won't regret this purchase! I'm super happy with it. In low light it's amazing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I love it already. It IS heavy (my copy weighs 1536 grams with tripod mount, PK/A adapter, lens hood and lens covers included), but results so far are surely promising:
What a great crop! You can't see any jaggies at all! Maybe I should add this to my watch list. Although... after yesterday's haul (mostly non adaptall lenses) I'm not sure I can justify much more...

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
"Small but Mighty" as the Tamron 01A brochure said.Your pictures highlight what has been a puzzle to me: That this lens was very much overlooked and under-priced even in recent years. Well, with all the publicity we are giving it, prices are sure to increase........?
Under-priced? mmm... from what I've seen on average they go for about $80 or so. In England I've missed out a few lucky ones for about 20-30 pounds. I got really lucky with my copy and managed to get a very good price on mine.

Also, don't get confused with its predecessor with the same spec (35-80/2.8) code: QZ-35M

I actually have both (got the QZ for under $50) but have yet to test it out properly in comparison to the 01a. The main difference I see so far other than the build is that the QZ has a dedicated macro switch ring, if that makes sense. Whereas on the 01a you simply push the focal length ring over to 80mm/aka macro
03-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #1462
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl:
The main difference I see so far other than the build is that the QZ has a dedicated macro switch ring,
The QZ is from an early '70's optical design and has 13 elements in 13 groups to accommodate zooming and macro -- lots of glass surfaces to only have basic coatings and all that glass causes it to weight about 520 g.

In comparison, the 01A benefits greatly from modern design with only 9 elements in 8 groups -- consequently it weighs about a third less, and should have much better flare resistance and contrast. The more complex continuous macro focusing arrangement (CF) allows for elimination of the "macro switch".

Give us some comparison pix please. They'd be a useful reference for lenses and coatings of that era.

H2

03-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #1463
Veteran Member

I didn't realise the QZ had 13 elements. *whistles* I only got it because it was going cheap and had a PK adapter attached....

Well, that and I figure it wouldn't hurt to compare, right? *snarf*

I'll see what I can do about giving you some comparison piccies sometime this week
03-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #1464
Pentaxian

Ricoh "R I" mount compatability - Olympus OM, as well

Bonjour,

This is probably a "newbie" type question, but does anyone know about and/or have used a Ricoh "RI" mount for Adaptall-2 on a K mount. Is it advisable, possible, etc.? I have a chance to maybe pick one up with a SP lens.

Second and maybe dumber question ... I have read that OM mounts can be modified for K mount (along with Contax/Yashica), thus what about Adaptall-2 mounts ... just bought a new dremel tool and dying to try this (these) possible mod's, i.e. an OM lmount => PK/M, etc. It's probably not worth the hassle, but curiousity has gotten the better of me ...

After you stop giggling, please send me message if you got any info ... Merci d'avance, J Frog
03-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1465
Veteran Member

Olympus and C/Y to K conversions generally involve removing the old mount and replacing it with a K mount with the same screw pattern cut into it plus a shim of the appropriate thickness. The end result is similar to what you get by just changing mounts with adaptall lenses, minus automation and with a whole lot more work. The plain K mounts are cheap enough that it is easier to buy them for adaptall lenses.

I think the Ricoh RI mounts are the same as a plain K mount (value ~$20) but I would have to see a picture of it to tell for sure.
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #1466
Pentaxian

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Olympus and C/Y to K conversions generally involve removing the old mount and replacing it with a K mount with the same screw pattern cut into it plus a shim of the appropriate thickness. The end result is similar to what you get by just changing mounts with adaptall lenses, minus automation and with a whole lot more work. The plain K mounts are cheap enough that it is easier to buy them for adaptall lenses.

I think the Ricoh RI mounts are the same as a plain K mount (value ~$20) but I would have to see a picture of it to tell for sure.
Bonsoir Steinback,

What I read was Rio Rico's postings about cutting down the flanges on the OM & C/Y mounts so that they would fit on a K mount ... my thinking was whether the same dremel "operation" would be applicable to Adaptall-2's ...

The photo of the RI mount looks very like a K mount ... I'm going to call the used UK dealer and see if they know or not.

Thanks for your input, John
03-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #1467
Veteran Member

I always assumed the ricoh adaptall mount would have a ricoh pin in it. But i've never seen one so couldn't say. Like someone else mentioned, pk mounts (depending on which ones you want) go for between $10-$40 each. There's some cheapy ones made in China that are in the $10 mark, then there's the genuine pk adaptall ones which are the ones I have, and every one i've got, I bought alongside a lens. On average the lenses have cost me $20-$40, so in my mind I always split the difference. So for a $20 lens, it becomes $10 for the mount and $10 for the lens, and so forth up to the $40 ones.

Here are some more rejects from yesterday. Although rejects is such a harsh word...

These are drive by shots (so taken handheld, while driving, eyes on the road, one hand on the wheel, the other aimed at whatever i want to take and just pressing down the shutter). In some ways it's like shooting blind because I can't look through the viewfinder while driving (very dangerous!)

Am super impressed with the colours. Sure the lighting was good, but I didn't have the hood on and the saturation's just lovely!

I'll put the full set on my Drive By Shooting thread later today.

And here's some of my purple king beans - the first of the season! Taken in super low light (around 7pm with only some faint light from the kitchen to the right).

kx, tamron 35-80 01a. click on images for exif data
03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #1468
Pentaxian

Olympus OM lens for Pentax cameras
03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #1469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
What I read was Rio Rico's postings about cutting down the flanges on the OM & C/Y mounts so that they would fit on a K mount
The Olympus and C/Y adaptall mounts aren't worth much, so you might as well give it a try. They should work just as well or poorly as Rio's hacked lenses. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the next camera show, there's usually a table of Adaptall mounts where anything other than Nikon and Pentax goes for under $10.
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #1470
Veteran Member

Trying out the o1a in any number conditions am learning its strengths and foibles.

The 01a can provide lovely starburts (!)

but beware the purple/blue internal reflections.

the first shot was taken with a filter on but no hood, and the second just the lens, sans filter and hood.

I originally thought this lens was going to have a purple spot like the tammy 90mm/2.8 macro at f8-f11 odd, but that second shot tells me otherwise as i've never gotten a string of reflections like that before with the 90mm macro!

next step is to try taking similar shots with hood and no filter

handheld, kx, tamron 35-80 01a. click on images for exif data