Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2119 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #736
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Umm.. If I had 30 adaptall lenses, I'd be using the original PKA adapter.
I didn't mean to say that the PKA isn't a nice adapter, I have one but I always find changing the lenses onto the adapters just a bit difficult and that I can ruin something if I am not really careful. So I understand why someone with 30 adaptall's might want adapter's for many of the collection. Personally I think he has more dedication and maybe money than I.
Alan.

03-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #737
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I didn't mean to say that the PKA isn't a nice adapter, I have one but I always find changing the lenses onto the adapters just a bit difficult and that I can ruin something if I am not really careful. So I understand why someone with 30 adaptall's might want adapter's for many of the collection. Personally I think he has more dedication and maybe money than I.
Alan.
Naturally there are duplicates in my collection which has grown like "Topsy" over the past 50 yrs and I have triplicate 01A's because I would not ever want to be without this beauty and of course the amazing 63b 180mm f2.5.I have 3 PKA, 2PK a couple of Adaptall M42 and after receiving my Hong Kong $15 dollar adapter I will be using these as 95% of my work is Macro Flora and a lot with bellows and focusing rails.
03-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #738
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Naturally there are duplicates in my collection which has grown like "Topsy" over the past 50 yrs and I have triplicate 01A's because I would not ever want to be without this beauty and of course the amazing 63b 180mm f2.5.I have 3 PKA, 2PK a couple of Adaptall M42 and after receiving my Hong Kong $15 dollar adapter I will be using these as 95% of my work is Macro Flora and a lot with bellows and focusing rails.
LOL!

I have 3 01A's too
Same reason as well.

I dont have any PK/A's yet though. Prices are to high and I know I wont feel content having just one.
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #739

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
I dont have any PK/A's yet though. Prices are to high and I know I wont feel content having just one.
LOL, that's exactly true. I have one and wish I had 3. I'm constantly having to switch my one PKA from lens to lens. I got lucky though and found one attached to a 46A that aparently only one other person wanted. Got it for $55. At the time I looked at it like I was buying the adapter and getting the lens for free. But after using the lens (damn good lens) I think it's a 50/50 split. So I got each for $27.50. Look around, and keep looking. There are deals to be had.

03-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #740
Veteran Member

Finally got round to trying out a 60-300mm (23A) I bought some months ago.

Unfortunately, my photo gear is in two locations so never easy to do meaningful tests. Anyway, having heard good things of this lens I decided to see for myself. First thing was the size/weight shock on my gripped GX-20. This combo is going to take a bit of getting used to and will have to see just how these old shaky hands can cope (plus the fiddling that goes with manual). I have a PK-A which should make using the lens a little easier.

All shots hand held. ISO 200, All exposures f5.6 or f/f8. Some PP work but very little sharpening.

The lens at full stretch (300mm).

Has decent macro/close-up. Don't like the way it kicks in at 60mm though

Both at approx. 150mm

60mm

300mm

PS. Just discovered I failed to compensate/adjust for all f/lengths on the intro menu. How did I miss that ?

Last edited by fotaki; 03-06-2011 at 04:44 AM.
03-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #741
Veteran Member

SP90

03-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #742
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
Finally got round to trying out a 60-300mm (23A) I bought some months ago.

Unfortunately, my photo gear is split and stored in two locations so never easy to do meaningful tests. Anyway, having heard good things of this lens I decided to see for myself. First thing was the size/weight shock mounted on my gripped GX-20. This combo is going to take a bit of getting used to and will have to see just how these old shaky hands can cope (plus the fiddling that goes with manual). I do have a PK-A (not with me, of course) so this should make using the lens a little easier eventually.

All shots hand held. ISO 200, All exposures f5.6 or f/f8. Some PP work on levels, gamma, resizing etc. Very little sharpening.

The lens at full stretch (300mm). OK considering the subject must have been over a mile high

Has decent macro/close-up. Don't like the way it kicks in at 60mm though

Both shot at approx. 150mm

This shot at 60mm

Light aircraft from local flying club. (300mm)

PS. Just discovered I failed to compensate/adjust for all f/lengths on the intro menu. Makes diddly squat of the results. How did I miss that ?
You won't be disappointed with the 60-300 but then again from experience I have never found a bad Tamron SP perhaps that's why they are so addictive,you just have to have them ALL to be sure.Happy shooting.

03-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #743
Banned

LOL!

I have 3 01A's too
Same reason as well.

You just have to keep looking to see one on a lens that is going cheap,however having said that I notice ebay sellers of Tamrons are getting smart and sell the lens now without adapter.Try ebay UK have seen few cheaper than US site.

Last edited by kryss; 03-05-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: addition
03-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #744
Veteran Member

LOL!

I have 3 01A's too
Same reason as well.

Well, you may not be content with having just one but the longer you wait, higher you are going to have to pay to get even one. I haven't seen any bargains for a PK/A mount - cheapest I've seen recently was around $80.00 on eBay.
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #745
Veteran Member

Good shot voytech...the bokeh is very appealing..love the yellow herbs on the background (left side) against that greyish color...the feel of the 4 layers is great (first center focused layer, then right slightly off focus layer, left beautifull OOF layer and finally... background).
Gotta get me one of those SP 90mm... (i'm feeling that adaptall "need" getting stronger in me XD).
03-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
LOL, that's exactly true. I have one and wish I had 3. I'm constantly having to switch my one PKA from lens to lens. I got lucky though and found one attached to a 46A that aparently only one other person wanted. Got it for $55. At the time I looked at it like I was buying the adapter and getting the lens for free. But after using the lens (damn good lens) I think it's a 50/50 split. So I got each for $27.50. Look around, and keep looking. There are deals to be had.
I am looking as much as I can
I also look at those going for about 60euros at ebay.uk and many times I have felt the urge to press the button but theres so much else you can get for 60euros.

Last week as an example, I bought an old Praktica TLT with a brand new Domiplan 50 2.8 AND... 2 Carl Zeiss m42 glass. 135mm f3.5 MC and 35mm 2.4 MC. Both looked brand new in their very HQ lether cases for about the cost of 2 adaptall pk/A mounts.

Those 2 CZ are both incredibly nice to use. Extremely sharp with great contrast and bokeh.

Im just waiting to find that superdeal were someone is selling their old dads bag of tamron mounts but advertise it as "bag of pooh"....
03-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #747
Banned

I am looking as much as I can
I also look at those going for about 60euros at ebay.uk and many times I have felt the urge to press the button but theres so much else you can get for 60euros.

Last week as an example, I bought an old Praktica TLT with a brand new Domiplan 50 2.8 AND... 2 Carl Zeiss m42 glass. 135mm f3.5 MC and 35mm 2.4 MC. Both looked brand new in their very HQ lether cases for about the cost of 2 adaptall pk/A mounts.

Those 2 CZ are both incredibly nice to use. Extremely sharp with great contrast and bokeh.

Im just waiting to find that superdeal were someone is selling their old dads bag of tamron mounts but advertise it as "bag of pooh"....
Unfortunately that's what you may get, lol.Don't understand canikon etc. bad mouth Pentax but they all want our gear.
03-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #748
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm f4-5.6 (158A)

David
03-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #749

LOL! If you find any of those, let me know. I haven't located many "great" deals on ebay in a while. Every time a spot a 'Lot' of camera gear, it either is a big bag of pooh not worth the shipping cost, or way over priced.
03-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #750
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
LOL! If you find any of those, let me know. I haven't located many "great" deals on ebay in a while. Every time a spot a 'Lot' of camera gear, it either is a big bag of pooh not worth the shipping cost, or way over priced.
For bags of camera gear check out ... shopgoodwill.com ... where I have bought 4 bags of gear and received 5 adaptall lenses including my 24 mm that came with the PK-A adaptall-2 mount. I spent a little over $110 for all of them which is about equal to the PK-A's probably price. However I have noticed that more Pentax people are shopping on their web site since all the Pentax gear bids have gone up since I bought mine. They always have some interesting stuff but sometimes not very good information of pictures. Except for a dead battery in the P3N body I bought everything was in fair to excellent shape.
Alan W.