Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2119 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #1606
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
As I recall, there was a how-to magazine article (Modern Photography maybe?) in the late '70's that showcased that lens. Might be a nice item to find to keep with it.
Hmmm...maybe I can find that -- they have all those old magazines in bound volumes at my library.

I'm not going to be using it in studio so we'll see. I pretty much shoot exclusively outdoors but often stylized stuff. Should be fun to play with anyway, and since I can apparently sell it for twice what I paid nothing to lose...

08-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #1607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hmmm...maybe I can find that -- they have all those old magazines in bound volumes at my library.

I'm not going to be using it in studio so we'll see. I pretty much shoot exclusively outdoors but often stylized stuff. Should be fun to play with anyway, and since I can apparently sell it for twice what I paid nothing to lose...
That's the spirit! You can try shooting with the lens - apply soft focus to close-up shots to really blow out the out of focus area perhaps. A dedicated portrait lens is somewhat similar to a macro lens - flat field and sharp from edge to edge, except that the point of focus is very different. 51A was never on my 'must acquire' list because I don't shoot portraits but to have a sharp and fast 2x zoom that weighs only about half of that of the 30A, it can definitely find a place in any MF shooter's kit bag.

If you can locate the Modern Photography issue with the test results for the 51A, I'd be most interested in perusing through the article.

Thanks,
08-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #1608
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
That's the spirit! You can try shooting with the lens - apply soft focus to close-up shots to really blow out the out of focus area perhaps. A dedicated portrait lens is somewhat similar to a macro lens - flat field and sharp from edge to edge, except that the point of focus is very different. 51A was never on my 'must acquire' list because I don't shoot portraits but to have a sharp and fast 2x zoom that weighs only about half of that of the 30A, it can definitely find a place in any MF shooter's kit bag.

If you can locate the Modern Photography issue with the test results for the 51A, I'd be most interested in perusing through the article.

Thanks,
When I'm in the library next, I'll see if I can find it in the index or reader's guide, failing that it ought to be in one of those magazines in 1979-1980 -- unless someone happens to know the exact magazine/issue?
08-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #1609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
unless someone happens to know the exact magazine/issue?
Don't let this become a 'snipe hunt', guys -- I was only guessin' at the approximate date and the magazine. And the article may have been more directed toward soft focus techniques than that one specific lens so use a broad search net. Also, as I recall, Pop Photo bought out Modern Photo around that time.

Sure would be fun to have the archive assets available to go through those old issues again. It's interesting when the current Pop Photo history page rings up total recall of some of the articles I read so long ago. Heck, I'd completely forgotten I'd used Kowa and Exa SLR's until I saw mention of 'em in old mags.

Traded that fixed lens Kowa (50mm) in on my first Pentax -- a used Honeywell H1a with a Tak 55/2.0 that's still sittin' here on the shelf.

H2

08-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #1610
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Don't let this become a 'snipe hunt', guys -- I was only guessin' at the approximate date and the magazine. And the article may have been more directed toward soft focus techniques than that one specific lens so use a broad search net. Also, as I recall, Pop Photo bought out Modern Photo around that time.

Sure would be fun to have the archive assets available to go through those old issues again. It's interesting when the current Pop Photo history page rings up total recall of some of the articles I read so long ago. Heck, I'd completely forgotten I'd used Kowa and Exa SLR's until I saw mention of 'em in old mags.

Traded that fixed lens Kowa (50mm) in on my first Pentax -- a used Honeywell H1a with a Tak 55/2.0 that's still sittin' here on the shelf.

H2
They've got a year or two at a time in bound volumes -- it is very easy to flip through the contents for an entire year in a few minutes. They've got decades of them. The best things to look at are the ads -- they are hilarious. I'm in the library quite often so I'll check later this week...
08-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #1611
kkx
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
sample from 90mm 2.8

I have manage to acquire the 90mm 2.8, 60-300mm and the 17mm.

All very nice.

My 17mm have a slightly loose focusing ring. There is a bit of play before the actual focusing is "engaged". Thinking of trying to "tighten" whatever that is loose inside. Anyone know how to take the 51B apart?

Been trying to get out and use the nice macro lens more.

Here is a sample:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #1612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
My classic 90/2.5 52B is getting fresh air thanks to newly arrived PK-A adapter
Now that is what is some nice output!

08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1613
Pentaxian

They've got a year or two at a time in bound volumes -- it is very easy to flip through the contents for an entire year in a few minutes. They've got decades of them. The best things to look at are the ads -- they are hilarious. I'm in the library quite often so I'll check later this week...
Well, went to the library. Found a reference in the readers guide to an article about soft focus lenses called "So you want to take fuzzy pictures?" in Petersens Photographic from 1980, but the archive at the library only went back to 1985. I looked at the Pop Photo mags from that time, and they mentioned the second version of the soft focus lens from the Photokina 1980 show (the lens was never actually produced for the public), but found no lab tests or anything like that from 1980ish for the version that had come out.

In other news, I actually received the lens (70-150/2.8 SOFT) on Friday, but unfortunately it is assembled completely wrong! Somebody must have taken it apart at one point and now the zoom/focus window is 90 degrees clockwise around the barrel from where it should be (or conversely, the aperture window is 90 degrees counter-clockwise from where it ought to be) -- the aperture and focus/zoom windows should line-up but they don't. So while the overall cosmetic condition looks great, the lens is unusable. The aperture doesn't work right (it has only a 3-stop range once you put the mount on) and while the soft focus ring does move the rear elements, it seems to have little to no effect on the image, which obviously is not right. So, I have to send it back to the dealer for repair. I asked them to repair it rather than a straight refund since it is so hard to find and I'd rather have a working lens than my money back. So I'll have to wait a while longer to try it out. I'm assuming it can be fixed -- it seems like someone just put one half on wrongly but who knows. I couldn't figure out a simple way to fix it myself so the safe thing is to have them take care of it so I can still get a refund if it can't be repaired.
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #1614
Veteran Member

Oh wow, that is terrible. I do hope for your sake that your dealer can repair it. If not, perhaps you can find someone in your area that works on lenses. The Twin Cities has 2 or 3 guys that still run their own business to repair lenses and one of them refuses to work on autofocus from Canon due to lack of any parts just 3 to 5 years after the lens was introduced. He seems to know on sight what the lens is that you need repaired. I took my 300 f4 to him and he knew it when he say it plus the 20 MM but he couldn't help me with the 20 so I opened it up and found out why. I would think the Denver area should have someone who does MF lenses. The man I used here was on the other side of the city from where I live but so worth it to have my 300 work as intended with nothing loose and sparkling clean. Good luck.
08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #1615
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have recently acquired a 17/3.5 51B and a 135/2.5 03B. Both are in very good condition - build quality is just superb. Their first use came during a two week vacation in California. I took 5 prime lenses, which included the above. Focussing the Tamrons is precise and I found them an absolute joy to use. Most days I was very happy just carrying the 51B, 03B and the Pentax A50/1.4.

These are just holiday snaps. All hand held. I had great fun with with these lenses on my kx.

Firstly from the 51B:

The lens was great to have on the camera while walking round. Focus was mostly set to infinity. CA was the only problem. I don't have a hood for it yet. Shading using my hand did help.

I'll post some images from the 03B later. This lens I like even more!

Aidan

Last edited by chalkandtalk; 08-08-2012 at 08:05 AM.
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #1616
Forum Member

More from the 51B

Last edited by chalkandtalk; 08-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #1617
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ C&T

The scow-schooner really grabbed my attention. A more workman-like vessel for protected waters didn't exist in the days of sail -- 's like having a 5-ton(ne) delivery truck in the garage. It gets no respect or recognition except from those that worked with 'er.

Pop that picture up in the Natutical Social Group for us if you please at:

Nautical! - PentaxForums.com

H2
08-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #1618
Forum Member

Here's some from the 03B:

I'm really pleased with the results from this lens, which feels so great to handle, but I'd better stop before you get holiday pic overload.

Last edited by chalkandtalk; 08-09-2012 at 04:02 AM.
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #1619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need Mount Installation Help

The 360B I bought off eBay arrived this afternoon. It looks to be in very nice shape but it came with an EOS mount which I removed. I'm having trouble installing the PKA adaptall 2 mount. Without the mount installed, the aperture ring will go all the way to the AE32 position but, once I install the mount, it won't go past 22. I've used the adapter successfully with the 60B and I think I've followed the appropriate instructions (multiple times) but I must be missing something. Any suggestions?
08-09-2012, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #1620
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The 360B I bought off eBay arrived this afternoon. It looks to be in very nice shape but it came with an EOS mount which I removed. I'm having trouble installing the PKA adaptall 2 mount. Without the mount installed, the aperture ring will go all the way to the AE32 position but, once I install the mount, it won't go past 22. I've used the adapter successfully with the 60B and I think I've followed the appropriate instructions (multiple times) but I must be missing something. Any suggestions?
Assuming the two doodads are in their slots correctly, I think you have to push the little black button on the side of the mount which acts like a 'A' lock button to get into/out of AE?