Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2120 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #1936
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a lot of information on the PKA adaptall-2 mount in this group. I have seen pictures of one disassembled for maintenance. I leave mine mounted on my 01B 24mm all the time for I like using that lens. It still can have problems with it's communication with the camera body however. It has gotten a little worse lately so I probably need to clean it up inside. Everything I have read on here shared by other members leads me to believe that the cleaning will be a rather simple job. I have thought about buying more PKA's lately but until I get say a 300mm f2.8 or something I don't believe I will really need one or two more.
One question that I have wondered about the Adaptall-2 system is if this electric communication was done for any other brand of camera body such as Canon EOS or for Nikon bodies. Can anyone in the group answer that question????
Alan W.

11-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #1937
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
The last couple posts by ckswong and excafd sorta confuse me?

ckswong, are you talking about selecting the cameras "A" mode or setting the lens to the "A" setting on the aperture ring. Two completely different things.

excanonfd, I purchased 6 PK/A Adaptall mounts during the last five months, converting from canon mountings, and the knurled ring on all of the mount adapters I purchased are "machined steel" not a stampings. They are fairly sturdy and well constructed. I'm not sure what you are referring to?
I've taken apart and reassembled two of my PK/A adapters many times trying to fix the adapter to show widest aperture beyond f4, I've also bought a PK/A adapter which won't work in A mode. The latter one was probably dropped with the lens attached while mounted on a camera or the lens was dropped with the rear cap attached on the lens' rear because the mount is warped such that none of the contacts are touching the camera body's contacts. Perhaps the knurled ring is "machined" as you say but the metal is no thicker than most tin cans (not extruded aluminum cans).

Before I took them apart, I was under the impression that the adapters are well built and sturdy but now I would say that they are ingeniously designed and made but quite fragile. I have mounted the former two PK/A adapters on lenses which have maximum aperture of f4 or smaller and left them there. The warped adapter is an ongoing project.
11-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1938
Pentaxian

The F-- comes from the A pin either making or not making contact. The adaptall mechanism doesn't make a positive contact like an A pentax lens, it is simply a pin through a piece of plastic attached to a piece of sheet metal with tension. When you turn the aperture ring it moves another piece of sheet metal behind it pushing it into the body mount. Very touchy and prone to errors of both types. I'd suggest getting one of the solid machined ones from Ebay if you want to work in non A mode. I've given up on the adaptall adapters. They are too fragile and unreliable. I was also having trouble with metering as the two spring mounted mechanisms had too much tension for my body to reliably wind them back open.
11-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #1939
Forum Member

The last couple posts by ckswong and excafd sorta confuse me?

ckswong, are you talking about selecting the cameras "A" mode or setting the lens to the "A" setting on the aperture ring. Two completely different things.

excanonfd, I purchased 6 PK/A Adaptall mounts during the last five months, converting from canon mountings, and the knurled ring on all of the mount adapters I purchased are "machined steel" not a stampings. They are fairly sturdy and well constructed. I'm not sure what you are referring to?
i mean setting a mode on the lens aperture. i went to a camera store to test the same thing on a separate mz-s body and same thing actually with the a lenses it comes out as f-- so that solves that problem. but i still have the problem with the one mount adapter sending false data to the body. i guess im going to have to take it apart to clean it or see if its warped.

11-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #1940
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Perhaps the knurled ring is "machined" as you say but the metal is no thicker than most tin cans (not extruded aluminum cans).

Before I took them apart, I was under the impression that the adapters are well built and sturdy but now I would say that they are ingeniously designed and made but quite fragile. I have mounted the former two PK/A adapters on lenses which have maximum aperture of f4 or smaller and left them there. The warped adapter is an ongoing project.
I disagree with your assessment! I've use Adaptalls for at least 25 years and I have never had an ounce of trouble.... The PK/A is certainly more complicated, absolutely, but it's designed well enough to hold a lens on a camera, heavy lenses at that! I doubt anyone is rougher on camera equipment than I am. My Canon A-1 slid off the hood of a pickup and popped the entire mount assembly off the camera. Comparing the PK/A's machined stainless steel mounting ring to the same tin alloy metal found in a tin cans is misleading! Also, the mounting ring is screwed to a separate steel ring that attaches to the lens effectively doubling the the metal support. The machined stainless ring does not support the lens solely by itself! Sorry, but that's my opinion!

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:45 PM.
11-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #1941

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
One question that I have wondered about the Adaptall-2 system is if this electric communication was done for any other brand of camera body such as Canon EOS or for Nikon bodies. Can anyone in the group answer that question????...............
Alan W.

I'm from Italy, so excuse me for the "pig" English....
Apart this issue, I bought about 30 Adaptall-2 lenses for my collection, most of them with an adapter mounted on. No PK-A, sorry: I've got no Pentax gear, only Leica R, Canon EF and Minolta AF ( also known as MA or Alpha, the same of the current Sony DSLR production, because of the fact that Sony has incorporate Konica-Minolta ).
The last Adaptall-2 lens-to-camera adapters were made for Canon EF ( the present Canon bayonet ), Minolta AF (the present Sony-Minolta bayonet) and the Pentax PK-A ( I think the only one with something of electric inside, I don't know if there is a Ricoh similar item).
Canon EF and Minolta AF are merely mechanic couplers, without any kind of movement transmission.
Is there some kind of Tamron F series dedicated gear, , e.g. Teleconverters , with electric repetition of contacts.
For Nikon there are two types of adapters: with or without coupling fork (old lens type) to the camera body: I'm sure that the new one has a circular black plastic slider that engages with Nikon bodies: I hope you can have full mechanical coupling from lens to body ( diaphgram preselection and exposimetric correction ) only on that Nikon cameras that still have all the mechanic retro-compatibility with old lenses ( for example, D5100 lacks this coupling, all electric signals).
For Canon, Nikon, Sony-Minolta and other brands you can buy on Ebay "chipped" simil-Adaptall-2 adapters that simulate electronically lens presence on camera and allow focus confirmation: they are cheaper than originals, but usually made with a lot of alluminium instead brass...

Bye.

Luca
11-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #1942
Veteran Member

Photo of my favorite subject....Mt. Shasta, taken this morning photo with the Tamron 23A, tripod mounted!

I do enjoy that lens! Just need to stop it down and tad and everything comes together nicely! The colors are accurate BTW!

11-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #1943
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo of my favorite subject....Mt. Shasta, taken this morning photo with the Tamron 23A, tripod mounted!

I do enjoy that lens! Just need to stop it down and tad and everything comes together nicely! The colors are accurate BTW!
Awesome view and well captured!
11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #1944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
Yeah--really!
11-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #1945
Veteran Member

Thanks ASa, I imagine you've got plenty of gorgeous scenes on you area on this space ship! Need to post some

dadipentak, it's really pretty hard to mess up such a beautiful scene - just point and shoot. First get the tripod set up, mount the camera, close the aperture down to F7.0, stop down the aperture a tad, focus, lift the mirror and then press the remote....... Well, not quite point an shoot. It's well worth the effort and a lot more fun, especially with a old manual lens. You know the feeling
11-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #1946
ASa

Thanks ASa, I imagine you've got plenty of gorgeous scenes on you area on this space ship! Need to post some
Well, this isn't from my part of the globe, but I've done my share of traveling.

I need to let my Tamron out more often, it's just that I'm having hard time getting the focus right (as can be seen on the second picture...)
11-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #1947
Pentaxian

I agree as well - fine work! J
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #1948
Veteran Member

It is shame that I have no time for newer pictures. But I want to share some memorable shots with Tamron adaptall-2 500mm f/8.0 (55BB) lenses

with 500mm f/8 mirror

with 500mm f/8 mirror

with 500mm f/8 mirror

Wish to have more time to work on the focus and shutter on the 1st and last shot.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-19-2012 at 08:54 AM.
11-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #1949
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I posted this in the 300+ thread but figured it should go here, too since it was taken with the 360B + AF 1.7x TC. I've never gotten so close (about 20') to a wild hawk before. Shot hand-held in portrait orientation from my car:

100% crop showing traces of a recent meal:
Dave, that is an amazing shot on the wild hawk. I always find 360B intriguing as it is much harder to find than 60B. Do the AFA 1.7X TC work easily on AF with the 360B? It is good to see long-time friends sharing similar interest in adaptall-2 lens club.

Cheers,
Hin
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #1950
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Do the AFA 1.7X TC work easily on AF with the 360B?
I tried the 1.7x with my 360B and found that I spent more time manually verifying AF than if I simply used MF to begin with. That could just be my own old MF habits at work but I didn't find the AF function to be useful (for me) and consequently sold that TC to another member.

I DO like, and use, the manual focus Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x TC with the 180mm, 300mm and 80-200 (30A) SP lenses and occasionally use it as an extension with the 90 macro. It's equal to the Adaptall 140F converter and MUCH more convenient to use.

H2