Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2119 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #2071
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
As discussed a few pages back, the PKA adapters don't know what to do on lenses slower than f/4 so they read wrong but they still sorta work -- you just have to compensate at certain apertures (and realize that the aperture it says it not the aperture you get). Once you put the TC on it'll be even farther off, but you can always use it in manual mode too. The SP 300/5.6 (54B) is very lightweight for a 300mm prime (about 1.3 lbs with a mount) and easy to handle (but of course somewhat slow), does 1:3.3 macro, and is very sharp although is prone to plenty of green and magenta bokeh fringing like many of the Adaptalls. It has no tripod collar (although one was available as an option and one of these cheap generics for Canon lenses could probably be gotten to work), but it is so light you don't really need one -- if the body was on the tripod it would not be overly stressed. I usually use it handheld on sunny days (except maybe for macro). If I've got the whole tripod set-up I'm more likely to use one of the monsters like the 400/4. (I find myself with two 54Bs -- I'm actually going to be selling one soon if interested.)
Yes I do know about the tripod setups for I have a heavy Manfrotto one that goes up to around 78 inches I think but it has a gimbal head on it that also has the markings for panoramic photos on it's base. But for the really big 400,500, 800 mm all manual lenses I had to get inventive, especially for the 800 mm f8, to keep the whole system of body plus long lens stable but yet able to move quickly and freely around and dampen out the "shutter shake" down the barrel of the long lens. Took about 6 months of tinkering to get it don but now I can pan around then lock it on subject hit the shutter button an 2 seconds later it takes a great shot. I have not tried it in full sun(when will winter end???) yet but I look forward to seeing how well it will resolve something at a mile or two. With the older tripod I had to use a monopod to brace the body 16-17 inches back from the center balance point with the lens given how much lighter todays DSLR bodies are over film bodies with winders. That was very clumsy and I could miss a shot while trying to brace the thing. The new setup lock with the turn of one knob or maybe two. Didn't cost a lot to build it but it did take skull sweat.

04-10-2013, 08:25 PM - 4 Likes   #2072
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few from this last weekend's short excursion to Yosemite...

Both with the Tamron 70-150/3.5 (20A) mounted with the K10D.

Steve
04-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #2073
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here are a few from this last weekend's short excursion to Yosemite...

Both with the Tamron 70-150/3.5 (20A) mounted with the K10D.

Steve
Great captures ... TFS ... J
04-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #2074
Veteran Member

Very nice, Steve! Both images evoke Adamesque feel for me...

04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #2075
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Great captures ... TFS ... J
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Very nice, Steve! Both images evoke Adamesque feel for me...
Thanks guys! The tribute to Ansel Adams was intentional, particularly the top one. I was fortunate to be there with camera in hand (f/8 and be there...)

Steve
04-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #2076
Pentaxian

Servicing a 52BB with fungus ...

Has anyone ever serviced a "52BB" (the later version) of a AD-2 SP 90/2.5 ?

I ask because I just got one but it has fungus which looks like it would clean up well.

Thanks in advance for any input, J
05-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #2077

Just won on eBay SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 01A. I'm interested in macro and also searching for a long-range macro zoom. Thinking of SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 52A, but there seems not many owners of it. Why?
Also I have the Vivitar 2x macro focusing 7 elements teleconverter with P/K-A mount. How is it compared with Tamron 2x teleconverter?
Anyone used the Lester A. Dine (Sunpak) Ring/Point flash with 01A and 52A?

05-27-2013, 03:24 AM   #2078
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spamer Quote
Just won on eBay SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 01A. ...
Lucky you ... I'm on the search for one, but haven't put a lot of effort into it ... cannot answer your queries, sorry no experience(s) ... J
05-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #2079
Pentaxian

My latest AD2 acquisition ... a 151B in great shape ... now trying to learn how to shoot best with it ... any ideas on how to set up threads for a possible filter and hood? Glue on some step down rings? Thanks in advance for any advice, J

05-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #2080
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My latest AD2 acquisition ... a 151B in great shape ... now trying to learn how to shoot best with it ... any ideas on how to set up threads for a possible filter and hood? Glue on some step down rings? Thanks in advance for any advice, J
OOOO I like that little 17mm. I have seen reviews in which they criticized it's image quality. Other than flare have you had any problems with it's images?? It is an AD2 lens I have stayed away from due to those reviews but I see them bringing good money on various web sites so I am unsure whether I should try to get one of them. A 17mm would put just about as wide angle as I ever had in film which was a 24mm FF lens. I think it's field of view is about equal to a 22mm FF lens. It is certainly less expensive than a 12-24mm zoom which I have been thinking about also. So let me know what you think of the 17mm. I already have PKA adapters and a PK on every one of my adaptalls. I must have 6 or 8 of them by now. I also lust after the fast 400mm lens or maybe the 300mm but that would be after the new K-5 body. Ah well at least I have control of my buying of lenses right now! I wish I could help about the hood but the best I have seem was I think a taped on larger sized petal hood. Everything is so close together on the front of the lens to make it hard to do. If you can find a petal type hood that uses screws to attach around the front element you could drill and tap the aluminum rim, carefully of course.

Last edited by kacansas03; 05-27-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: addition
05-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #2081
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
OOOO I like that little 17mm. I have seen reviews in which they criticized it's image quality. Other than flare have you had any problems with it's images?? It is an AD2 lens I have stayed away from due to those reviews but I see them bringing good money on various web sites so I am unsure whether I should try to get one of them. A 17mm would put just about as wide angle as I ever had in film which was a 24mm FF lens. I think it's field of view is about equal to a 22mm FF lens. It is certainly less expensive than a 12-24mm zoom which I have been thinking about also. So let me know what you think of the 17mm. I already have PKA adapters and a PK on every one of my adaptalls. I must have 6 or 8 of them by now. I also lust after the fast 400mm lens or maybe the 300mm but that would be after the new K-5 body. Ah well at least I have control of my buying of lenses right now!
Hi ... thanks for your message and I have really not spent enough time to evaluate it properly. I saw the PF reviews which included three "5" ratings and a "No" recommendation to go along with them. IMHO, and from initial shots, the lens is much better than that, but it didn't knock my socks off either. I will be using a PKA with it which was a fussy process at first ... it's just me more than likely. I will keep you posted and put up some sample images later. Take care, J

PS - I, too, would like to have some fast long AD2 glass, but I'm saving up for things higher on my wish list ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-27-2013 at 11:25 PM.
06-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #2082

Well, no answer about 52A and now 70-210 19AH seems to be mine too. Hope they will be a nice pair to work together.
06-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #2083
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spamer Quote
Well, no answer about 52A and now 70-210 19AH seems to be mine too. Hope they will be a nice pair to work together.
The 19AH is great ... love mine ... J
06-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #2084

The 19AH is great ... love mine ... J
Thank you. Have anyone used it as a macro lens? I doubt if I need Tamron #01F because I already have Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter with full camera contacts.

Last edited by Spamer; 06-01-2013 at 07:47 AM.
06-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #2085
Pentaxian

Just sold it, so can't really do any more tests, but thought my 19AH became noticeably soft zoomed all the way in (at 210mm) at close distances, although I found it pretty decent zoomed in for farther away subjects and in pretty much every other circumstance. Maybe it is better stopped down significantly at that setting, but zoomed in at minimum distances I thought it became substandard. Back off to 135-150 (at minimum focus distances) and it was much much sharper. So not really suitable for any kind of real macro work, but you can get in quite close for a telephoto zoom.