Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2086

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Just sold it, so can't really do any more tests, but thought my 19AH became noticeably soft zoomed all the way in (at 210mm) at close distances, although I found it pretty decent zoomed in for farther away subjects and in pretty much every other circumstance. Maybe it is better stopped down significantly at that setting, but zoomed in at minimum distances I thought it became substandard. Back off to 135-150 (at minimum focus distances) and it was much much sharper. So not really suitable for any kind of real macro work, but you can get in quite close for a telephoto zoom.
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
ng, but zoomed in at minimum distances I thought it became substandard. Back off to 135-150 (at minimum focus distances) and it was much much sharper. So not really suitable for any kind of real macro work, but you can get in quite close for a telephoto zoom.
Thank you for your answer. Actually I have the macro lens but I have bought 01A and 19AH for "all-round-work" when I don't have time to switch to my macro lens.

06-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #2087

Got my 01A today. Here is couple of pictures on my K-30 with Tamron 35-80mm 01A + Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter + Lester A. Dine macro ring flash. Cetonia aurata
Attached Images

06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #2088
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RE: Jean's question on 151B

The pentaxforums reviews for this lens (see Jerm1386) suggest a step up ring (67mm to whatever). Also I believe I read somewhere else a simple 67mm (w/o glass) filter works--either glue or tape it on. I recall trying a 67mm to 72mm step up ring and photo tape to hold it--when I was evaluating this lens (unfortunately it was missing one of the push in buttons--so I had it only for a day) and it seemed to work fine--on dslr w/crop factor 1.5.
06-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #2089
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
The pentaxforums reviews for this lens (see Jerm1386) suggest a step up ring (67mm to whatever). Also I believe I read somewhere else a simple 67mm (w/o glass) filter works--either glue or tape it on. I recall trying a 67mm to 72mm step up ring and photo tape to hold it--when I was evaluating this lens (unfortunately it was missing one of the push in buttons--so I had it only for a day) and it seemed to work fine--on dslr w/crop factor 1.5.
Thanks dms ... J

06-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #2090
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spamer Quote
Got my 01A today. Here is couple of pictures on my K-30 with Tamron 35-80mm 01A + Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter + Lester A. Dine macro ring flash. Cetonia aurata
Congratulations - a fine start with a fine lens. Enjoy!
06-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #2091

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Congratulations - a fine start with a fine lens. Enjoy!
Thanks. Will try my best! Actually I bought both 01A and 19Ah for when "oh, I have no time to change lens!"
07-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #2092

Today got my 19AH with PK-A adapter. Damn, it's much bigger than I expected. But I like it.

07-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #2093

19AH test. Handheld, no flash, no correction and just about 50% crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Spamer; 07-02-2013 at 06:54 AM.
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #2094

Have anyone used Tamron 72B with 18F extension tube? Which one give me more magnification 01A + 18F or 72B + 18F? Regards.
07-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #2095
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have anyone used Tamron 72B with 18F extension tube? Which one give me more magnification 01A + 18F or 72B + 18F? Regards.
I have used the 01A with an equivalent extension tube. It gave good magnification. The best magnification was achieved with the 01A and a 1.4X teleconverter and 2X TC. If you read the Adaptall.org site at all it addresses these issues and even has lens tests. I think anyone shooting Macro wants to use extension tubes since added glass elements results in image problems creeping into your work. However the best magnification I ever achieved was with a 52A and a 2X TC which resulted in an area 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch in life totally filling the 35mm image frame. I do not know what the level of magnification was but the image was sharp, clear, bright with no color aberrations. This is just relating my experience.
07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #2096

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I have used the 01A with an equivalent extension tube. It gave good magnification. The best magnification was achieved with the 01A and a 1.4X teleconverter and 2X TC. If you read the Adaptall.org site at all it addresses these issues and even has lens tests. I think anyone shooting Macro wants to use extension tubes since added glass elements results in image problems creeping into your work. However the best magnification I ever achieved was with a 52A and a 2X TC which resulted in an area 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch in life totally filling the 35mm image frame. I do not know what the level of magnification was but the image was sharp, clear, bright with no color aberrations. This is just relating my experience.
Thank you for your answer. Marks on the lens says that with 01f teleconverter it should archieve 1:1.1 magnification at 80mm. The thing I learned about extension tubes is that if I use 18F extension tube (45mm) 01A should archieve the same 1:1 magnification at 45mm but at much closer distance to subject. But extension tube calculator says that I should archieve little more than 1:1 magnification even at 80mm and at 45mm it should be about 1.5:1.
But with Tamron 72B which have native 1:1 I should archieve the same 1.5:1 magnification at 90mm. The difference should be in distance to subject and with 01A at some focal lenght the focusing point may appear even behind the first lens.

If I use 01F teleconverter and extension tube at the same time, it's the same as 180mm lens with 45mm extension tube or something changes? Logically, I understand that with 1:1 macro lens I should archieve 2x more magnification than with 1:2 macro lens at the same focusing distance. But what will happen if focal lenght of 1:2 macro lens will be shorter? 80mm, 45mm etc.

Last edited by Spamer; 07-06-2013 at 04:21 PM.
07-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #2097
Veteran Member

Thank you for your answer. Marks on the lens says that with 01f teleconverter it should archieve 1:1.1 magnification at 80mm. The thing I learned about extension tubes is that if I use 18F extension tube (45mm) 01A should archieve the same 1:1 magnification at 45mm but at much closer distance to subject. But extension tube calculator says that I should archieve little more than 1:1 magnification even at 80mm and at 45mm it should be about 1.5:1.
But with Tamron 72B which have native 1:1 I should archieve the same 1.5:1 magnification at 90mm. The difference should be in distance to subject and with 01A at some focal lenght the focusing point may appear even behind the first lens.

If I use 01F teleconverter and extension tube at the same time, it's the same as 180mm lens with 45mm extension tube or something changes? Logically, I understand that with 1:1 macro lens I should archieve 2x more magnification than with 1:2 macro lens at the same focusing distance. But what will happen if focal lenght of 1:2 macro lens will be shorter? 80mm, 45mm etc.
I always have trouble understanding which lens is the 01A or 72B and things. Was the 18F the extension tube that was packaged with the 52b,52bb,72b 90mm lenses??
The use of extension tubes always gave me trouble for I was always losing a portion of my focusing range. I actually have 3 sets of extension tubes only one of these has the contacts to transmit everything back to the camera but no AF of course. The others are aftermarket units that are just "K" mount. So I could build much more than 45mm of tube if I wished. I tried it on three different occasions and now they sit gathering time in a case somewhere. At least they can't get any dust. I am happy with the magnification I get with the lenses without trying for more. Back when I was selling computer processor chips on Ebay the tubes were handy to have and also they gave me enough magnification to enlarge the finest print on a circuit board. I used the longer telephoto 52A with 2X TC on a tape deck to magnify the heads to the point to where they nearly filled the 35mm frame. That is how I knew the size of the object I was magnifying. I wasn't expecting a great photo due to the extra elements in a 2X TC but I did get excellent photos. Those tape heads where shiny and new, I could see the small stripes and the narrow gap where they would read the music off the tape. Ah, the days of film! Today I would be able to see that result in moments instead of waiting hours or days while it was developed which is a nice improvement!
Most people who use Macro photograph plants, blooms and other things using the magnification. I just do not use the tubes or lenses much any more since I enjoy more scenic and nature photography. Indoor shots are seemingly all snapshots of grandchildren and other family plus using the video function of the newer digital bodies. I should list some of that macro equipment for sale on here if I ever get the time. Good luck in your quest for great macro shots!!
07-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #2098

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I always have trouble understanding which lens is the 01A or 72B and things. Was the 18F the extension tube that was packaged with the 52b,52bb,72b 90mm lenses??
The use of extension tubes always gave me trouble for I was always losing a portion of my focusing range. I actually have 3 sets of extension tubes only one of these has the contacts to transmit everything back to the camera but no AF of course. The others are aftermarket units that are just "K" mount. So I could build much more than 45mm of tube if I wished. I tried it on three different occasions and now they sit gathering time in a case somewhere. At least they can't get any dust. I am happy with the magnification I get with the lenses without trying for more. Back when I was selling computer processor chips on Ebay the tubes were handy to have and also they gave me enough magnification to enlarge the finest print on a circuit board. I used the longer telephoto 52A with 2X TC on a tape deck to magnify the heads to the point to where they nearly filled the 35mm frame. That is how I knew the size of the object I was magnifying. I wasn't expecting a great photo due to the extra elements in a 2X TC but I did get excellent photos. Those tape heads where shiny and new, I could see the small stripes and the narrow gap where they would read the music off the tape. Ah, the days of film! Today I would be able to see that result in moments instead of waiting hours or days while it was developed which is a nice improvement!
Most people who use Macro photograph plants, blooms and other things using the magnification. I just do not use the tubes or lenses much any more since I enjoy more scenic and nature photography. Indoor shots are seemingly all snapshots of grandchildren and other family plus using the video function of the newer digital bodies. I should list some of that macro equipment for sale on here if I ever get the time. Good luck in your quest for great macro shots!!
Here is a full list of Tamron lenses. You can find 01A etc under "SP Adaptall-2 Lenses" menu. Unfortunately, there is no 72B, but it's a 90mm macro lens previous to current Tamron 90mm AF macro lens. 18F extension tube was designed and came with 52B and 52BB to make them 1:1 macro from 1:2.
Anyway, thanks, kacansas03!
07-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #2099
Veteran Member

Here is a full list of Tamron lenses. You can find 01A etc under "SP Adaptall-2 Lenses" menu. Unfortunately, there is no 72B, but it's a 90mm macro lens previous to current Tamron 90mm AF macro lens. 18F extension tube was designed and came with 52B and 52BB to make them 1:1 macro from 1:2.
Anyway, thanks, kacansas03!
Yes, I do know of the website. I mentioned it in my previous message. It does not list all the lenses which is why it can be so frustrating to know what the focal length is of a particular model being talked about on these threads. Also accessories are mentioned on the site but often not by model number so I didn't know from the website information what an 18F was intended for till you just told me. I wish people posting on these threads would use the focal length as well as the model number. In doing so they would be educating those who come here tht are very new to the Tamron Adaptall series lenses. I have been using them since in the 80's and was very happy when that website first appeared years ago. I only wish there was someway to do updates to it for example adding the 18F into the information about the 90mm Macro lens series of 52B, BB and 72B whose model numbers are listed. I think the original developer of the site listed lenses by prime focal length then zoom focal length and did not pay much attention to model numbers. Sometimes you can get a good translation of the original Japanese website that can explain a mysterious model number. I also have been unable to figure out just where to find the model number on older Adaptall lenses. They are easy to find on most of the -2 series and on all of the SP lenses but not so easy on the earlier lenses. Prices of these lenses on various sites are going up as owners of various brands of digital cameras look for quality glass that does not cost into the thousands of dollars. I don't even remember how many I own right now. Oh well.
07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #2100

kacansas03, my primary buying place is eBay, prices grow but with Adaptall lens I remember the joy of bidding instead of buy it now. A few minutes ago I won 18F extension tube. Now I will wait for Tamron 90mm 72B appear with a good price. There is another 18F and 72B listed, but I don't like the price of buy it now the seller wants.