Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2015, 04:55 AM   #2776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure the filter is actually glued? That's surprising if it is, usually these things are just stuck from being left on for years.
These are my filter removal assets. Both cheap off ebay the blue one is a strap wrench google or search that and you shall find. The other one is nominally for the kitchen - jam jar opening etc...Also leaving the lens + filter on the radiator to get some thermal expansion often does the trick.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
07-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #2777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Are you sure the filter is actually glued? That's surprising if it is, usually these things are just stuck from being left on for years.
These are my filter removal assets. Both cheap off ebay the blue one is a strap wrench google or search that and you shall find. The other one is nominally for the kitchen - jam jar opening etc...Also leaving the lens + filter on the radiator to get some thermal expansion often does the trick.
Or an actual filter wrench: Sensei 48-58mm Filter Wrench (Set of 2) FW-4858 B&H Photo Video

(They come in many sizes)
07-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #2778
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
...as in just push the dividers against the plastic?
Yep. And a tiny drop of penetrating fluid (WD-40?) or lighter fluid on the end of a toothpick can't hurt.

But the suggestions above ought'a be useful too.

Another trick -- warm the filter ring and lens in the sun and then set the filter ring down flat on something relatively colder to shrink it a bit relative to the lens threads.
07-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #2779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Took this picture when I first got my camera and was experimenting with the controls. I horribly overexposed it but I really like the shot. Now I am trying out Lightroom 6 and I gave bringing life it back into the shot.
I am impressed with the results considering the original.

K5ii and Tamron 80 - 210

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
07-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #2780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Software can be amazing -- but you could do the same thing in most software using CURVES if you have the patience. It involves dissecting the brightness histogram into X-numbers of partitions and justifying each against the adjacent partition and the overall average 'curve'. Like many non-emotional / aesthetic things, a computer's good at that and a whole lot quicker at it than I am.

Beats dodgin' an' burnin' in the wet darkroom too.
07-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #2781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Software can be amazing -- but you could do the same thing in most software using CURVES if you have the patience. It involves dissecting the brightness histogram into X-numbers of partitions and justifying each against the adjacent partition and the overall average 'curve'. Like many non-emotional / aesthetic things, a computer's good at that and a whole lot quicker at it than I am.

Beats dodgin' an' burnin' in the wet darkroom too.
pacerr,
lol, yes......
I do need to learn more about the histogram.
I have been using the Silky Pix software that came with the camera and I downloaded Faststone. I get ok results from them but they take soooo lonnnng to load up. I downloaded DXO and I thought about buying the full Silky Pix but it's just as expensive as lightroom.
Ah well, it all a learning process.
07-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #2782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
...but they take soooo lonnnng to load up.
Shouldn't - either one of 'em - how much memory do ya have? What OS? What FsIV version?

FsIV takes 2 seconds at most on my older Win 7 with 4 GB memory laptop.

PM me if you want to discuss histogram stuff - it's the key to exposure.

07-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #2783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Cambridge in Colour tutorials are very good.
07-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #2784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MarcusBMG- Thanks. tutorials are wonderful! Great site.
Pacerr-left you a pm.
07-24-2015, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2785
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A few more shots from the qz-35m tamron adaptall 35-80/2.8-3.5. Life is just too busy at the moment for me to get around to grabbing the tools I need for the filter ring. But to be honest, I quite like the results I'm getting from the lens as is, so I guess I could just leave it as is...

The bokeh when done well turns out beautifully...

And here's that glow...

It's not looking good for me, LBA wise. I initially bought this with the thought of comparing with the 01a. And was hoping that it would come up sub-par so I could justify ditching it. But it's generating some nice images that I'm really happy with. This does not bode well for clearing out my camera bag......

Tamron adaptall 35-80/2.8-3.5 qz-35m, k-50
07-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #2786
Pentaxian

I like the rainbow in the fog in the first one.

Where was that? Looks like the trees I associate with rather further out west - Balranald, Euston area.
07-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #2787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I like the rainbow in the fog in the first one.

Where was that? Looks like the trees I associate with rather further out west - Balranald, Euston area.
Southern tablelands, half an hour east of braidwood, nsw
07-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #2788
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
A few more shots from the qz-35m tamron adaptall 35-80/2.8-3.5.
those images so remind me of what us socal surfers from the '70's imagined that life in coastal australia would be like... morning of the earth... alby falzon... even tho you don't have any surf images per se in there.
07-28-2015, 05:24 PM - 3 Likes   #2789
osv
Veteran Member

xpost from the sony ff forum here on pf... a7r and the trusty old tamron sp 60-300mm adaptall-2 zoom:

07-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #2790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
those images so remind me of what us socal surfers from the '70's imagined that life in coastal australia would be like... morning of the earth... alby falzon... even tho you don't have any surf images per se in there.
Maybe it's the light? Our coastal areas are pretty built up!