Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2016, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #3256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure if I should be posting this on another forum but I'm sure some kind person will move it to a more correct one.
Today I received my;
Tamron SP 90 model 52BB (boxed, with instructions but no hood)
Tamron extension tube model 18F (also boxed with instructions)
Tamron L-14 case
and an adaptall mount....(alpha?)/MAX'M version.

I already have a 52B model and have read that there is no optical difference between them though the filter thread sizes are 49mm and 55mm. I wonder why?
It took me a minute to fit a PK-A adapter to the lens and it all seems to be working, then I fitted the tube and it took me a couple of minutes to twig that the lens would only go into AE if I pressed the button on the mount, stupid boy!

I have ordered a used 98FH hood to be happy that there are benefits to using one as is mentioned in the reviews and am all set to enjoy using it.

But I have a question;
Is the alpha/MAX'M mount likely to be of any use to a Sony camera user? No contacts so it would presumably be a "green button metering" affair.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Skodadriver; 11-11-2016 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
11-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #3257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Is the alpha/MAX'M mount likely to be of any use to a Sony camera user?
The minolta A and canon eos adaptall mounts had a temporary existence, my understanding is that legal action, or the threat of, prevented tamron from continuing their manufacture. So they have a cachet for being scarce. However, of themselves, with no connectivity, they are in the end little different to the chinese clones. All will do the job of mounting an adaptall lens, so in that sense the answer is yes. I have seen the originals offered priced quite high - fifty quid+!
11-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #3258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The minolta A and canon eos adaptall mounts had a temporary existence, my understanding is that legal action, or the threat of, prevented tamron from continuing their manufacture. So they have a cachet for being scarce. However, of themselves, with no connectivity, they are in the end little different to the chinese clones. All will do the job of mounting an adaptall lens, so in that sense the answer is yes. I have seen the originals offered priced quite high - fifty quid+!

Thanks Marcus, I knew you would know and maybe even have one.
This is another LBA purchase on my part so I might offer it up for sale....much as I am tempted to get a camera that I can use this on.
11-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #3259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another question about using the 52BB, this time setting the shake reduction. I have had a quick look through some posts and have come up with this.
Multiply the FL by the teleconverter......2X tc on the 90mm makes 180mm?
Add the length of an extension tube....for the 18F add approximately 40mm to 45mm which makes about 130 to 135mm?

Or just switch off the SR and keep the shutter speed as high as possible.

Last edited by Skodadriver; 11-11-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Missed a word.
11-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #3260
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Another question about using the 52BB, this time setting the shake reduction. I have had a quick look through some posts and have come up with this.
Multiply the FL by the teleconverter......2X tc on the 90mm makes 180mm?
Add the length of an extension tube....for the 18F add approximately 40mm to 45mm which makes about 130 to 135mm?

Or just switch off the SR and keep the shutter speed as high as possible.
Yes to get good shake reduction you double the focal length when adding a 2X teleconverter. However I do not know which camera body you are using and some of them do not allow shake reduction in all modes. Check your owners manual.
11-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #3261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Yes to get good shake reduction you double the focal length when adding a 2X teleconverter. However I do not know which camera body you are using and some of them do not allow shake reduction in all modes. Check your owners manual.

Thank you.
11-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #3262
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 with Tamron Adaptall 2 72B - 90mm f2.8 Macro

I never get a sunburst out of this lens... until this morning, by accident:

and frost crystals:

11-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #3263
Veteran Member

Ah Ha moment

i started reading about the camera industry downturn today. It has helped me understand why perfectly good or great Tamron Adaptall lenses are selling at very low prices. Not as many people ready to spend money on new camera bodies must equal less interest in 3 or more decade old lenses. I have many of the adaptalls that I wanted now with only a desire for a 200-500 f5.6 left and maybe a 17mm. But what do I do with them in the future when I am no longer able to take photos?
11-13-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #3264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
But what do I do with them in the future . . .
You value them as they existed in their day . . . as we do veterans of any type.

There's break-points in photo development - as all other technology. Sometimes we shoot with old gear simply to acknowledge and show respect for the past - like old cars or old aircraft or . . . .

What's cool is only those that KNOW can produce great images with older gear - or rtry. Smile an' humor those that don't know. Sort'a like them that don't know how to harness a mule, huh?
11-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #3265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
You value them as they existed in their day . . . as we do veterans of any type.

There's break-points in photo development - as all other technology. Sometimes we shoot with old gear simply to acknowledge and show respect for the past - like old cars or old aircraft or . . . .

What's cool is only those that KNOW can produce great images with older gear - or rtry. Smile an' humor those that don't know. Sort'a like them that don't know how to harness a mule, huh?
I do really value all my Tamrons. If you take a look at my ebay listings under kacansas51 you will find a bunch of pictures onmy listings. On the 2 lenses, only the pictures of scenes were taken with the lenses for sale, all the rest with A 24mm 01BB, 01A 35-80 in macro mode or a 52A also in macro mode. With the 01BB I found I had a problem with resolution at about 400% crop so I switched to the macro lenses for the closeups of threads or other features. Oh most of the 01BB photos were taken at f16 or f22. I couldn't get a good pic with macro mode with the 01A or 52A with the apertur that far closed. Many more taken with the same lenses are on my Alan C. Wilson | Flickr flikr account. Ok not the ones of eagles and other scenes. Just the photos of lenses.
Enjoy shooting!!

---------- Post added 11-13-16 at 03:33 PM ----------

I have bought 7 more of the OP/TECH rear lens caps with the seal for Pentax K mount lenses. Most of those are on my adaptalls. I know what good is a seal if the rest of the lens isn't sealed? I figure that the 01BB, 01A, 23A, 52A, 19AH do not pump as much air in and out as my Sigma AF lenses which may extend 3 to 7 inches when zooming in on something. The only Sigma that doesn't do that is the 28 to 80. My other prime lenses also do not pump much air till you get into the over 200mm length. Given the extreme temp changes in MN plus the extreme humidity changes I thought it best to keep lenses as sealed as possible. Plus now that we are on fixed income I may never be able to afford Pentax WR lenses. If you guys didn't know these things are on sale on Adorama and even on Ebay. cost around $10 with "shipping" unless you buy a bunch then it's closer to $9.00. Ok it's a plug for someone but I really like them. Maybe just because they don't fall off the lenses.
11-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #3266
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

11-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #3267
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

11-15-2016, 05:27 AM   #3268

Hey,
I am writing to warn everyone. Unluckily. adaptall bayonet can unscrew. I experienced this yesterday when calibration Astro-Tracer. K1 dropped onto concrete from a height of approximately 1.5 m.
Watch out for your gear!
11-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #3269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My commiserations! Do you mean the bayonet wasn't securely clicked in (stop pin not enagaged), or did something come apart?

Is your K1 still functioning?
11-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #3270

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
My commiserations! Do you mean the bayonet wasn't securely clicked in (stop pin not enagaged), or did something come apart?

Is your K1 still functioning?
During calibration you have to turn body with lens 360 in 3 axis so I think I could unclick it. I've instantly turn camera off and take battery out.
Today I've sended it to service
So my advice take lens out and then calibrate.