Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2116 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
JewellTrail, that is one sharp image with buttery bokeh...looks great.

06-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
ISO50: Wow! This is a very nice lens and tack sharp! Were you able to handheld this or using tripod? I think we both have the same tripod Dolica Proline, can it holds up the camera & lens without any slips? Mine can not hold up the Vivitar 200mm very well.
I ends up buying a Vanguard ballhead instead and it works much better.

David
David, thanks a lot for the compliment. Yes, I have to agree with your comments on the lens. It really is a treat to work with and exceeds all my expectations. The images come out of the camera looking great--no need to post process. This lens is a well kept secret--at least from my perspective.

And yes, I shot this image on the Dolica/Proline tripod. I still have the original ballhead and have not run into a reason to change it--yet. I also use it to shoot with the Vivitar 200mm (Komine) and do not have trouble. I suppose it could be more stable, but I am able to get nice, blurr-free images with it--so why change?
06-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
pcarfan: JewellTrail, that is one sharp image with buttery bokeh...looks great.
Thank you. It looks like the 70-300 LD Macro is off to the Marketplace--I'll give up the AF of that lens for the IQ of this lens, any day. The only problem I'm having with it is getting it into the Macro mode--it is a strange procedure and the lens seems like it will not go in--even with jiggling and pressure. While researching the lens, I read a reviewer who called it "the lens which doesn't know it's a zoom." Even @ 300mm IQ is very nice, some think as good as the SP 300mm 5.6.

The above shot is only slightly cropped, but this one here is a relatively large crop.
Attached Images

06-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macroguy Quote
This is one one pictures taken with my 400 couple days ago. Very sharp lens.
Very sharp, indeed! What a lens. May I ask what you think it is worth today?

06-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This club has been very quiet lately. Come on let’s see more of your fantastic adaptall pictures!
I could not fix my SP 35-80mm and now it has sadly become a “nice paperweight” on my desk!
However, I have found a SP 90mm f2.5 (52b) and 2X TC (01F), I am surprise how heavy this lens is, almost 1 lbs. Did anyone find it little difficult to shoot handheld? I think I need to get use to it; a tripod is definitely for the combo (lens+TC). Here are couple quick tested shot I took.

Attachment 37666

Attachment 37667

Attachment 37668

Last edited by IS050; 06-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.
06-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #51
Veteran Member

taking off the Adaptall2 Adapter

just bought my first Tamron Adaptall lens, in a package with 2 Takumars and a Mir, it is called Tamron SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8 CF Macro

It seems that it has come with a Canon Adapter on, as it says: 'Adaptall2' 'C/FD' on the mount side of the lens.

I have tried to take the adapter off but had no success. Can anybody please tell me or point me to a site where it is explained how to take off the adapter? - I just hope it is not jammed - I had bought these lenses rather cheap at a local shop in Vietnam and are all in a 'very used' state.

and..what's the verdict for this lens?

thank you for any input
( and in case this thread is supposed for photos only I shall delete this post later )

kuuan - andreas
06-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Check this one out, it has a instruction of fitting and remove the adaptall custom mount. Hope this help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56510-adaptall...tml#post550540

Daivd

06-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #53
Veteran Member

YES, thank you very much ISO50, just got it off! it is the small metall lever that has to be pulled, then a short twist did it!

next thing I need to get an Adaptall/PK adapter:
There is an AE lock position on the lens and there are 2 kind of Adaptall/PK adapters, the PK and the PK-A. In the thread you linked the PK-A is said to be much better, but not explained why. I do not suppose that the PK-A adapter would make the lens behave like an Pentax 'A' lens, or would it? Wouldn't it work like a 'M' lens anyway? What is the advantage of the Adaptall PK-A adapter?

thank you again for any input,
cheers,
kuuan - andreas
06-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
...I do not suppose that the PK-A adapter would make the lens behave like an Pentax 'A' lens, or would it? Wouldn't it work like a 'M' lens anyway? What is the advantage of the Adaptall PK-A adapter?

thank you again for any input,
cheers,
kuuan - andreas
With PK-a-adapter the lens behaves just like a A-series lens. So that's the reason they're so wanted...
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #55
Forum Member

SP 180/2.5

06-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #56
Veteran Member

P K adaptall – the lens will work in M mode. Use green button for stop down metering.
P K-A adaptall the lens will work in all exposure mode. You just set the lens on the 'A' setting on the aperture scale.
There is the third one, Adaptall to M42 adapter. It works just like Takumar stop down metering etc. AV mode.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57451-adaptall...ification.html

I have read good review on the SP 35-80mm f2.8, and also suppose be really good in Macro, unfortunately mine was broken when I bought it, did not have a chance to use at all.
06-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
P K adaptall – the lens will work in M mode. Use green button for stop down metering.
P K-A adaptall the lens will work in all exposure mode. You just set the lens on the 'A' setting on the aperture scale.
There is the third one, Adaptall to M42 adapter. It works just like Takumar stop down metering etc. AV mode.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57451-adaptall...ification.html

I have read good review on the SP 35-80mm f2.8, and also suppose be really good in Macro, unfortunately mine was broken when I bought it, did not have a chance to use at all.
It is a surprisingly good macro. I use to recommend it to people who wants a cheap manual macro, since it goes for much less than the SP90/2.5 macro. With the 2x converter it goes to 1:1.125 at the 80 (160) mm end with good contrast and sharpness over the whole image. What was wrong with your copy?
06-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
It is a surprisingly good macro. I use to recommend it to people who wants a cheap manual macro, since it goes for much less than the SP90/2.5 macro. With the 2x converter it goes to 1:1.125 at the 80 (160) mm end with good contrast and sharpness over the whole image. What was wrong with your copy?
The Zoom ring got stuck at 50mm, not able to “turn” to 60mm - 80mm. The aperture ring does not click stop!

David
06-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just dug out my 35-80mm to try a few snaps as I haven't really looked at it since getting the thing fixed (same problem, zoom jammed from 60-80mm).

Last edited by Mike.P®; 06-26-2009 at 09:18 AM.
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #60
Veteran Member

David - ouch. I've had the 35-80 since new in '85, and for 13 years did not need or want another lens. Then I needed a fast short tele, and got a Zuiko 85/2. While I have the 52bb + tube + 2x now I could easily be happy with the 35-80 for most macro shooting.

The lens is at its shortest at 50mm, and the CF feature starts to crank out the zoom as you focus closer. Mine has always had a bit of looseness but so far has continued to work well. I suppose the mechanics are fairly complicated with all the motions going on.

Unless you or a buddy is into fixing lenses, you probably are better off looking for another copy. They are cheap... the macro quality is a hidden gem, but with crop sensors 35mm just isn't all that wide.