Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 101 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

How's the pricing on that one, do you think?

He also has a similar-era Nikkor 200mm f/4 for $49.

07-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 24mm name brand lens for $40 is always a good deal, especially if it really is in working condition Probably the 200mm for $50 is a good deal as well.

However: you do realise that without the extensive surgery detailed above, the 'fit' is really not a secure, constant thing... I wouldn't wander around with a Nikkor on my Pentax. It might well fall off.

Also: the Nikkors have their own mythologies as to which are the good ones - but in no way compare them to the SMC Takumars or Pentaxes of the same era. This is a cute way to say: Nikon was late to the SMC game, so you'll likely get more flare. The overall performance - except maybe for the dogs and stars of the line ups - is probably about the same otherwise, in real life. One design may prioritize edge resolution or contrast, while another seeks to maximize the center as fast as possible... and so on.

Here's one guy's opinion on all things Nikkor...
Lens Evaluations

If you buy them, you ought to then get a Nikon FE or something similar that can use the non AI lenses natively. Then you can get the full Nikon film experience.
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Alright.

Thanks for the advice!
07-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A 24mm name brand lens for $40 is always a good deal, especially if it really is in working condition Probably the 200mm for $50 is a good deal as well.
FWIW, a week or so ago, I sold my Nikkor 20cm F4 on eBay starting at $40 and got minimal interest; it is now on its way to Spain, sold for a total of $43. The lens was in, IMHO, beautiful condition complete with case but missing both caps, and I mentioned the Pentax compatibility in the description in hopes of attracting more attention. There are a few others on eBay and it looks like $50 is top dollar for the lens. (Too bad, I was hoping to get at least $50 for mine, preferably $60-75... oh well!)

11-09-2010, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Bought a few Nikkors converted to K-mount from forum member Farfisa. I believe they were converted by our OP here, augustmoon.

Took the 105/2.5 AI-s out for a spin yesterday and found I liked it pretty well. It does seem to suffer from a marked lack of contrast wide open, as well as pretty harsh CA. The sharpness could be better (it's certainly not razor sharp like I've been led to believe by all the Nikon forum posts), and I feel the K-5 sensor might be outresolving the lens, but it still renders quite nicely and works great for B&W shots. Here are a few:

11-11-2010, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

And now let's see a few from my initial walkaround with the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 (close focus of just 0.2m!). In short, this lens has stellar sharpness from wide open, pretty low distortion, and fantastic bokeh. It's maybe not quite as good at infinity as it is at close range, but it's still pretty damn good for landscapes. I'm really loving this one:

11-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting these - I think each mount system used to get its own mythology and pecking order, which weren't directly comparable across systems - I have a few Nikkors for my film Nikon, and they are good lenses but I would not place all of them above SMC Pentaxes. In the wide angles the floating element close focus feature gives Nikon an edge, however.

Ironically, in this digital age we can compare - like you do with modified lenses, or *most ironically" using Canon cameras with adapters. Canon, the maker who abandoned their legacy lenses...

11-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks for posting these - I think each mount system used to get its own mythology and pecking order, which weren't directly comparable across systems - I have a few Nikkors for my film Nikon, and they are good lenses but I would not place all of them above SMC Pentaxes. In the wide angles the floating element close focus feature gives Nikon an edge, however.

Ironically, in this digital age we can compare - like you do with modified lenses, or *most ironically" using Canon cameras with adapters. Canon, the maker who abandoned their legacy lenses...
Heh, yes.

In Pentaxland this 28/2.8 compares most closely with the Vivitar 28/2.8 CF, I guess, which has a nice cult following here. I think this one beats the Vivitar, but I need to shoot with it more to be able to say for sure.
11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Dead wolf that's great stuff and good to see the old lenses on the spanking camera. Looks like the 105 would be just good enough for my taste.
About the 28/2.8, how much do you think is OK to pay for a nice AI-S copy?

Metal debris on an abandoned railtrack. Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-s on K100D
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Dead wolf that's great stuff and good to see the old lenses on the spanking camera. Looks like the 105 would be just good enough for my taste.
About the 28/2.8, how much do you think is OK to pay for a nice AI-S copy?
Thanks!

The 28/2.8 seems to go for $250+ in its default Nikon Ai-s mount, so anything at/under that would be good. I got mine for a relative steal, especially considering the conversion was already done for me.
11-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Weather and other factors have prevented me from giving the 24/2.8 as thorough a test as the other two, but here are some initial, boring images:

11-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #57
Veteran Member

It's been a while since I've added anything here... so I'll put up some photos I took last year with the 105mm F2.5 mounted on my K20D in New York City.

01-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #58
Forum Member

A Few Photos Taken With Nikkor Lenses

I have posted a few shots with two different Nikkor Lenses.

Four were taken with a 35mm f/2-16 Nikkor-O - a lens produced some time in the 1960s. Those are the photos of the Cathedral in Florence.

Also included is a flower close-up taken with the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5.

Both lenses have now been modified with the addition of a 1mm thick stainless steel ring. This does two things: it corrects the register of each lens allowing the the distance marked on the the barrel of the lens to be the actual focused distance; and, an included notch in the ring, permits the lens to click into place and hold it securely on any Pentax K mount camera. The rings are glued into place and have been attached to these and two other Nikkor lenses.

02-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Nikkor micro P 55/f3.5 AI

Hi all - I just bought the Nikkor micro P 55/f3.5 AI version as pictured below with the intent to use on my K100D. Because it's the AI version, it has two protrusions on the mount which prevent to attach the lens to the Pentax body.

What is the best approach to modify the Nikkor mount to allow me to attach to the K100D body? Can I just file the protrusions or I need to change the Nikkor mount with the K mount from Pentax as well?

Thanks in advance!

02-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to have the exact same lens and I used it on my Pentax Kx.

Heres what I did.

Since I wanted to use it for Macro I bought the M2 extensiontube for Nikon. its made to give this Nikkor a 1:1 magnification wich was exactly what I wanted.
Once I got the tube ( ebay) I replaced the Nikon mount ( the one that goes into the cameramount ) with a Pentax Kmount.

Works perfectly but theres no hope for infinity of course.

If you want that you can either replace the mount on the lens with a pentax one. Perhaps from an old unused broken down PK lens or buy one of those m42 to PK adapters from ebay. Buy one of those that has the big flange. You can drill holes in that for the screws. If you do it proper you can reverse the lens if you decide to sell it.

Or as you said yourself.
File the protrusions of.
I did manage to mount the lens even with the protrusions but it ended up slightly crocked and it didnt really feel that great. Still it did take some extremely sharp pictures. I did however never really like its macro capabilities so I sold it.
Still have my modified M2 tube so I can use any Nikkor in macro mode