Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

From what I can tell your typical m42 adapter is about 1mm thick and you need to go thinner than that? I'm not sure if this will help but this adapter (at least the one I got from them) is only .030" or about 3/4mm thick in the center where it bears agains the camera. It is .050" thick or about 1 1/4mm around the rim but that rim fits around the outside of the face of the camera mount so the effective thickness of the adapter is .030". Those measurements may be aproxamate (going off memory) but its effective thickness is defanatly thinner than a standard one.
M42 Lens to PK Adapter for Pentax K2000 K20D K-5 KR K-7 | eBay

11-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #242

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aliasant, thanks for the information. I may try to do the infinity stop mod if I can't figure out another solution.

Ripit, The standard m42 adapter I have is only .80 mm thick and would work perfectly if not for the issue with the spring on the aperture ring that depresses the click stop ball bearing. That little spring is held in place by the aperture position pin/plate thing that moves with the aperture position. That pin/plate isn't necessary for the conversion but the spring is. So I need to encaplsilate it into the new mount - with room to move - so that I will have click stops. Without is the springs on the aperture overpower the friction of the blades and it returns to f3.5 or greater when not held. So I wouldn't be able to use f1.4, f2, f2.85 etc without holding the aperture ring in place. Anyway, I either have to mill down my 62mm reverse ring or find a thinner 62mm reverse ring or use a standard m42 mound, make a circular shim the correct size and thickness and solder it to the m42 ring.

The wavy piece of metal under the aperture position pin/plate is the spring that pushes down on the ball bearing for click stops.
Name:  IMGP4561.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  80.9 KB
11-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have a question : did someone tried the Konica Hexanon 40/1.8 ?

since the registration is very short (40.7mm) and it seems to be a pancake lense, is it even possible to mod or hack it ?

i see some for around 40$ from time to time, is it worth bying it, or it's a lost cause ?
11-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i have a question : did someone tried the Konica Hexanon 40/1.8 ?

since the registration is very short (40.7mm) and it seems to be a pancake lense, is it even possible to mod or hack it ?

i see some for around 40$ from time to time, is it worth bying it, or it's a lost cause ?
It's a great lens, but I'm unsure if any of the Konica ARs are pentaxable. I had it on a Konika AutoReflex T4, and it was a great street lens.

11-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I'm unsure if any of the Konica ARs are pentaxable
i don't know that it is impossible, so i will make it
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #246
Veteran Member

Helios 44-3 doesn't fit

I have an M42 Helios 44-3 that's in decent condition, but when I mount the lens I can't focus. It looks like someone tried to shave it to make it fit, but I'm not sure that will be enough. I think maybe the lens was disassembled at one point and the focus ring was put back incorrectly adding extra space. Any tips? How do I take off the focus ring on one of these old russian lenses?

Thanks!
12-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #247
Veteran Member

i did disassemble two lenses for the the same raison, but never a Helios 44.

For me it was quite simple : the core (with the glass element) was rotating inside a cylinder. Some small piece of metal was blocking the lense at the end of the run (infinity mark.).

All i had to do was to remove the small piece of metal.

So i could "unscrew" (by the same mouvement i screwed a screw ) the core of the cylinder.

then you just have to rotate the core from 1/4 or 1/3 of turn, then rescrew it into the cylinder.

the piece of metal should block the core when it arrive at the infinity mark on the barrel (before puting those piece of metal, the core can go further than infinity.)

it was quite easy and fast (10-15 minutes)

12-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #248

I found this page to be very helpful with disassembly of my 44-2: Helios 44-2 adapted to Nikon F - No-glass adapter and infinity focus (Page 1) - Maintenance & Repairs - Manual Focus Forum
Might be close to the same steps for a 44-3. These are pretty simple lenses that come apart and go together easily. Yours may have been modified for macro-only... they are exceptional at this. Actually, thinking about it, they've got a unique look that's pretty pleasant, which makes them great for lots of different situations. I did fractionally shave the mount flange on mine to expose a conductive surface for catch-in-focus, and torqued a flangeless m42 to k onto it since that gave me infinity focus without having to adjust the lens. I'd tried a flanged adapter with an adjusted back element set and wasn't happy with the look.
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #249
Veteran Member

I did figure out how to remove the focusing ring as one unit. There seems to be bends in the thin metal where the ring meets the camera body. It is not flush with the base. I will take some pictures tonight. I'm also going to ask my friend to bring his in so I can see what it looks like normally. Sad thing is I already gave the guy good feedback and turned down ebay's protection as the lens seemed to be in pretty good shape. I just hadn't gotten around to putting it on the body. rsBayArea, I will look at your link when I get home. Work blocks the images, but hopefully it helps. I'm thinking i might need to get a new removable focus ring or cut away the metal with a dremel. Unfortunately my dremel broke.
12-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #250
Veteran Member

I found this link https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/77158-caution-...al-buyers.html

It seems this is a known issue with some of the versions of this lens. It looks like you're supposed to machine it down, but the modder didn't machine it enough. I will see about borrowing a dremel from my neighbor.
12-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Not sure if this qualifies, since it was never actually adapted, but I give you Voigtlander 35/1.2:

Leica M-mount lenses make "handy" macros on the K-5!

("handy" in the sense of "hand-held")
12-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #252
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Monster Minolta to M42

Replaced the Minolta MD mount using a M42 off of an old Tokina lens and an Aperture ring from a Tamron Adaptall lens.
Could have modified the original Aperture ring but I wanted to be able to revert it back if I ever wanted
to sell it as it is still a reasonably expensive lens.
The original mount has a brass 63mm spacer under it so there was plenty of play to set the lens mount distance, just used a
thinner spacer. I have a feeling that the lens was made by a 3rd party for minolta as it is easily adapted to other cameras.
Not a " fast " lens, 100-500mm f8 but with the good high ISO on my Kx it is not a problem.
Big heavy beast but fantastic IQ.
Guess I can't get into the Stadium with this one ! Unless I disguise it as a Beer stein or one of those noisy horns

Last edited by bobpur; 02-25-2013 at 03:26 PM.
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #253
Veteran Member

i know it's not exactly the goal here, but anyone has already tried to convert a adaptall K into a KA version ?

Edit : Finally, i found the right thread And i think that if i got the Tammy 60-300/3,8-5,4 I will mod an adaptall 2 K into KA the trickiest part will be to build some "A" switch ... but lens first, adaptal then

Last edited by aurele; 12-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.
01-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #254

Yashica DSB 55/2 to Pentax K

Well I had a spare 15 minutes this afternoon and tried my first lens modification.

I took a spare Yashica DSB 55/2 that I was given (it has a small chip in the front element) and had a go at grinding down the Yashica bayonet without any luck. So I ended up pulling off the whole lens mount and swapping on an old Ricoh bayonet mount 50 mm that was given to me (with lots of fungus in the lens). I had to Dremel away the aperture tab slot on the Ricoh Bayonet to fit the Yashica aperture tab. I got it on and held it down with one screw and some araldite! Anyway - it seems to work even though it's effectively like a M42 mount in the sense that it doesn't meter as open aperture (i.e. the screen gets darker as you stop down). I'm not sure about infinity at the moment - perhaps it's just off. Anyway here's a sample on my *ist DL (metered in M and exposure checked with the A-EL button). These are straight from the camera and uploaded to Google Albums with no PP:

These were all taken at f2, any focus errors are about what I get with the *ist DL, which I find hard to manually focus with. I think the colours are beautiful and quite true to the original scene / late afternoon light. The OOF areas also seem to be OK to my eye. Nothing wrong with sharpness either - I think? Surprising given the poor reputation that this, and all Yashica DSB Lenses suffer from.
01-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #255
Veteran Member

Nice Yashica!
I missed a nice Yashinon 45mm f1.4 the other day.
Grrrrr.
I was to cheap and it slipped away for about 50 euros....

Here is a shot i have taken using my own PK converted Topcor 35mm f2.8.
The lens on the shot is the 100mm ( 10cm) f2.8 and it has almost identical proportions as the 35mm. Amazing they made it so small.
If i hold them 1 in each hand I cant tell them apart without looking at details.

That 35mm is a true gem.
Look at the clean details in the engraved letters on the 100% crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo