Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Does anyone know the registration distance for the Nikkonos lenses? For once google isn't able to help me.

08-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Does anyone know the registration distance for the Nikkonos lenses? For once google isn't able to help me.
nikon f mount is 46.5mm so a bit longer than pentax. You will wind up being able to focus a bit past infinity and loose a hint of macro ranger were you able to mount it, or were you to replace the mount with the new face at the same distance.

In the future, search "flange focal distance" and you will get pages like this

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thats assuming you meant nikon. Are you referring to the nikon under water cameras and lenses or regular nikon lenses?

Last edited by ripit; 08-11-2013 at 05:45 AM.
08-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #318
Veteran Member

If you are referring to nikonos under water cameras, there is some debate but this thread implies its quite a bit shorter.

Nikonos Lenses on Nikon dSLR? - Photo.net Nikon Forum
08-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
nikon f mount is 46.5mm so a bit longer than pentax. You will wind up being able to focus a bit past infinity and loose a hint of macro ranger were you able to mount it, or were you to replace the mount with the new face at the same distance.

In the future, search "flange focal distance" and you will get pages like this

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thats assuming you meant nikon. Are you referring to the nikon under water cameras and lenses or regular nikon lenses?
NIKKONOS, not NIKKOR. Same company, completely different camera system. Trust me, you will not find me asking such elementary questions as the F mount registration distance.

08-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you are referring to nikonos under water cameras, there is some debate but this thread implies its quite a bit shorter.

Nikonos Lenses on Nikon dSLR? - Photo.net Nikon Forum
Thanks for the link. 28 or 39mm. Considering that their last camera in this system was an SLR (the Nikonos RS), 39mm is a much more reasonable number, since it would just about leave room for a mirror. At 28mm it would be impossible to include a mirror that covers a 24x36mm image. So this should leave plenty of room for an adapter in between any of the modern mirrorless cameras and a Nikkonos lens.
08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Thanks for the link. 28 or 39mm. Considering that their last camera in this system was an SLR (the Nikonos RS), 39mm is a much more reasonable number, since it would just about leave room for a mirror. At 28mm it would be impossible to include a mirror that covers a 24x36mm image. So this should leave plenty of room for an adapter in between any of the modern mirrorless cameras and a Nikkonos lens.
Yea for a dslr maybe not so easy but for some of the mirrorless it should be. While he didn't come out and say it, the guy in that thread that was claiming 39mm kind of sounded like he might have measured it.

Something to be aware of. I have no idea how accurate this info is (just stuff I found goggling), but with at least one product line

Nikonos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the first and second generations were viewfinder cameras so no mirror. the third was a dslr. Perhaps 28mm and 39mm are both correct depending on what generation it was. Do you know if they all used the same lens mount or if there were different ones (and or the name of the mounts).

" Trust me, you will not find me asking such elementary questions as the F mount registration distance."

Yea thats what I figured which is what made me think, what am I missing here? So I dug a little deeper into the nikonos cameras.
08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #322
Veteran Member

impossible lens? -
What the hell will throw this one out:

Zeiss spotting scope adapted to a K20.
Taken at about 300 feet.

Last edited by wildman; 09-15-2013 at 06:21 AM.
08-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yea for a dslr maybe not so easy but for some of the mirrorless it should be. While he didn't come out and say it, the guy in that thread that was claiming 39mm kind of sounded like he might have measured it.

Something to be aware of. I have no idea how accurate this info is (just stuff I found goggling), but with at least one product line

Nikonos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the first and second generations were viewfinder cameras so no mirror. the third was a dslr. Perhaps 28mm and 39mm are both correct depending on what generation it was. Do you know if they all used the same lens mount or if there were different ones (and or the name of the mounts).

" Trust me, you will not find me asking such elementary questions as the F mount registration distance."

Yea thats what I figured which is what made me think, what am I missing here? So I dug a little deeper into the nikonos cameras.
My argument is that it doesn't matter that the first cameras were "rangefinders" (well actually not, you had to guess the distance), since Nikon launched a SLR version that was compatible with all previous Nikonos lenses! That means that the registration distance already for Nikonos I to Nikonos V must have been large enough to accomodate a mirror, even if it wasn't there until the very last camera model. So 28mm isn't reasonable while 39mm is reasonable...and it does sounds like he measured it.
08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #324
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
... Zeiss spotting scope adapted to a K20. Taken at about 300 feet.
That's a great shot ... thanks, J
09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More mm questions. Can any member with a Pentax 110 body or lens tell me what the inner diameter of the camera mount is? Trying to decide if I could glue part of a Samsung NX body cap on the back of a Pentax 110 lens to make it a converted NX lens. Or if there is actually room for an adapter if I buy an Q to 110 adapter or a dead Pentax 110 body to "borrow" the 110 camera mount from and glue that to the NX body cap. But the NX body caps are far thicker than they need to be (~5mm), so I need to cut that in to and build it up again with just a 1.5mm thickness (the difference between the NX and the Pentax 110 registration distrances). Conversion or adapter...1.5mm it is tight so conversion might be more realistic. But with this small difference in reg distance, the 110 bayonet will actually extend a little inside the NX mount...so before I start to shop the parts for this and some lenses to experiment on I thought I should check if the 110 bayonet actually fit inside the NX mount. Tried google, no luck! So please, help somebody!
09-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #326
Veteran Member

Hi Douglas
In case this is of any use:
These are measurements of a lens, I don't have a P 110 camera
P 110 Lens outer diameter over the bayonet lugs: 21.3 mm
Minor dia of the bayonet mount 19.2 mm

This is a sketch made with help of MysteryOnion that I used to make the P110 to M43 adaptor of aluminum alloy.
The 110 lenses have to have a waterhouse stop behind the lens and its position is critical for sharpness across the frame
https://app.box.com/s/b9319930073aad14e911
https://app.box.com/s/350c00bb70f740b15375
09-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Douglas
In case this is of any use:
These are measurements of a lens, I don't have a P 110 camera
P 110 Lens outer diameter over the bayonet lugs: 21.3 mm
Minor dia of the bayonet mount 19.2 mm

This is a sketch made with help of MysteryOnion that I used to make the P110 to M43 adaptor of aluminum alloy.
The 110 lenses have to have a waterhouse stop behind the lens and its position is critical for sharpness across the frame
https://app.box.com/s/b9319930073aad14e911
https://app.box.com/s/350c00bb70f740b15375
Thanks wombat! It looks like I have plenty of space diameter wise (about 15mm less than the NX mount diameter).
As I understand it you built up different adapters with openings corresponding to f2.8 and f4? Clever solution...
But I don't think I stand a chance to copy that. You had about 8mm difference in registration distance to work with, I have 1.5mm. But then this is the impossible-lens-club!
11-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #328
Veteran Member

Canon FD 50mm F1,4 Converted

Heres an indoors snap that turned out ok.
First is almost full frame. Second is cropped.
Shot wide open.
Edited some colors in PS to make the back match her skin and then selective noise-red in LR. Not much work at all.

11-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #329
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
really nice ! the lens seem sharp enought on one hand, and soft just what's needed on the other hand.

It seems a winner to me ! Congrats !
11-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #330
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
really nice ! the lens seem sharp enought on one hand, and soft just what's needed on the other hand.

It seems a winner to me ! Congrats !
I agree ... very nice indeed ... believe it or not, I have one coming from Belgium (hopefully soon) ... can you explain your conversion or show/direct me to some info, please ... thanks in advance ... Salut, J