Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 474 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That's not a hard conclusion to reach given that the Samyang 500/8 appears to be a horrible mirror lens. But try a good one, and you should be able to get results that you wouldn't be able to get if you used the 50-200 instead.
I think you misunderstood my point. I said the image doesn't look as good at first (mostly on account of low contrast), but when you get down to it and after performing appropriate PP, it turns out there really *is* more resolution that there first appeared. See my samples posted here - while I'm not going to claim it a great lens (it clearly isn't), even it is capable of producing images you can't get with a shorter lens.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-01-2010 at 11:17 PM.
08-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #332
Forum Member

I think it's also possible to get wildly different results with the same model of lens. I've read that the alignments and positioning of elements inside a mirror lens is extremely critical, so if quality control is sloppy or the lens has been bounced in shipping, they won't focus as sharply as the design is capable of (which ain't all that sharp, but it's not bad.)
08-31-2010, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Crowded in the corner

I need to get this RMC Tokina 500mm f8 out more often.

Taken at Mosport raceway for their vintage racing weekend, last father's day.

09-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #334
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
i think you misunderstood my point. I said the image doesn't look as good at first (mostly on account of low contrast), but when you get down to it and after performing appropriate PP, it turns out there really *is* more resolution that there first appeared. See my samples posted here - while I'm not going to claim it a great lens (it clearly isn't), even it is capable of producing images you can't get with a shorter lens.
Sounds like I missed your point indeed. Sorry.

Anyway, I looked at a few of your shots, but I can't be sure at this size if your Samyang behaves like my Phoenix did. Can you post a 100% unprocessed crop? What I noticed with the Phoenix was a general softness around edges - like some blooming you would get from using a soft filter - unsharp mask would bring back some of the details, but I had to apply a lot of it. The colors also looked kind of washed out.

For reference, here are a few test shots with associated 100% crops that I took when I got my Tokina - a week after returning the Phoenix. If your Samyang gets results that are close enough to those, then I guess I was just unlucky with my Phoenix sample and I should stop bad mouthing it, so let me know.

09-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #335
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have any unprocessed shots handy to post, but no, they don't look nearly as good as the Tokina. No question, the Samyang is *not* as good a lens, and is presumably well below average even among mirror lenses. But still, with appropriate PP, you do end up with more resolution than you would with a shorter lens.
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #336
Banned

I don't have any unprocessed shots handy to post, but no, they don't look nearly as good as the Tokina. No question, the Samyang is *not* as good a lens, and is presumably well below average even among mirror lenses. But still, with appropriate PP, you do end up with more resolution than you would with a shorter lens.
Thanks for the confirmation.

It's interesting that the f/6.3 version of the Samyang lens seems to produce much sharper images. I looked at a few original size shots that Joe Ogiba posted a year or so ago and they looked great. Based on that, if anyone is looking at the Samyang lenses, I'd recommend the f/6.3 version.
09-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #337
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've never heard anyone really confirm Samyang makes that lens.

09-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #338
Banned

I've never heard anyone really confirm Samyang makes that lens.
It's listed on their site (click on the "interchangeable lens" link), so I'd be surprised if there was another mystery manufacturer.
09-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #339
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the confirmation!
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #340

Sky Diving

Taken with Opteka 500mm Mirror K200d handheld from the ground

09-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #341
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubergeek72 Quote
I got this lens a month or so ago, and I'm finally learning to use it. Switching the focusing screen in my *ist DL to one of the Katzeye ones helped a whole lot. Of course, my inexpensive $100 lens (including a whole ME Super rig) wound up costing considerably more when I added the Katzeye screen, plus a protective filter, plus a lens cap, plus a hood. But the thing does take pretty nice pictures. Shot at the Denver Zoo on Saturday:
Ubergeek, I really like your cheetah shot. The background donuts complement the cat's spots very nicely.
09-12-2010, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #342
Inactive Account

A couple shots from a recent roll of 35mm (from a Zx-5n), using the Rokinon 500mm 6.3:

09-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #343
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddieAmzel Quote
Ubergeek, I really like your cheetah shot. The background donuts complement the cat's spots very nicely.
Thanks.
09-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #344
Veteran Member

All shot with Pentax K20D and Tamron sp 500mm f/8.0 adaptall-2 (55BB).

It can be amazingly sharp

I like the artistic side when a compressed view show a window of interest

I love the off focus rendering

I can play paparazzi with my boys, off focus on 1st shot unfortunately

I get closer to my boy when they run away

Donuts bokeh in sunset timing is subjectively pleasant

A salt pond close to bay like a snowy area

In the shadow, should have brightened it a bit

Tamron sp 500mm f/8.0 adaptall-2 (55BB)

Thanks,
Hin
09-13-2010, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
All shot with Pentax K20D and Tamron sp 500mm f/8.0 adaptall-2 (55BB).
You've made a believer out of me!