Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #826
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
reviving this thread a bit; I just received a new-to-me Tamron 55BB lens and looking forward to working with it..... full moon is coming this weekend and am hoping the weather holds for some shots....

05-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
reviving this thread a bit; I just received a new-to-me Tamron 55BB lens and looking forward to working with it..... full moon is coming this weekend and am hoping the weather holds for some shots....
By all means, if you can then don't wait until full Moon. Before that, the Sun is lower in the (Moon's) sky; shadows are longer; contrast is better and thus, detail is better seen/captured.

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 350mm f/5.6 (Model 06B) mirror lens on a Pentax Q10. 10 images taken on fixed tripod, manually aligned and stacked in Registax 4. Cropped image. Click on image to see a 100% non-resized crop.
05-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is something special about the full moon. For me, some of the best pictures of it I have seen capture it closer to the horizon, when it stands in closer relationship to trees, buildings, mountains, bodies of water, etc. Also the full moon near its rise or set can be colored by the atmosphere.

But as Stone G. suggests, if you are after a portrait of the moon -- of its craters and other features -- the full moon time, when the moon is lit straight on by the sun isn't the best time to see those details. When from our vantage point the sun is lighting the moon more from the side, the lunar textural details are shown much better. I seem to recall seeing, many years ago, a detailed map of the moon that was made from two half-moon photos merged in the middle, because detail was shown much better that way than had a full-moon image have been used as the basis of the map.

It all depends on how you want to see the moon and what you want to see in and on it Some photographers don't want to see the wrinkles and moles in a portrait and some want to see every blemish!

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 05-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
05-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #829
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

55B

K5iis + Adaptall SP 500/8 (55B)

Shot through dirty window at ~17 ft (5+ M)

Cropped to about 50% of the image with moderate PP - contrast and sharpening.

Background over 120 yds behind feeder showed no bokeh; however, spots on window 12 - 18 inches in front of feeder produced classic 'donuts' easily removed with clone tool.

05-31-2016, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #830
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with Tamron Adaptall 2 55BB - 500mm f8

while the weather has not cooperated for a moon shot, I was out with the 55BB for last night's sunset:

05-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #831
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictu...ml#post3662967

A cross post in the K-1 pictures thread.
06-15-2016, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #832
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just found this thread! Here's a couple taken with my newly acquired 55B!

Hand held, with K3.

06-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #833
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of weeks ago I got a t-mount-threaded Lentar 1.5x TC, and the only lens I can use it on is my antique Sigma-made Spiratone Ultra-tel F/8 500mm mirror lens. So last night, I attached this combo on my K100D, and with my not-used-enough tripod I set up to take several exposures of the full (or nearly full?) moon. Clouds were blowing in, but I had several chances to get cloudless shots, between cloud passages. I thought some of the exposures with partial cloud would be interesting; however, the camera only saw cloud in silhouette, not the tones I saw. The flat lighting the sun gives the full moon lessened detail, and there may have been some atmospheric haze softening details as well. The most detail was apparent on this underexposure I posted on the Show me your Moon thread: < https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/27...ml#post3684554 > . Much detail was washed out in exposures in which the moon appeared creamy white.
06-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #834
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
...the only lens I can use it on...
Note the small screws in the barrel. If it's like the 2X TC its possible that the mount adapter may be swapped out for another mount or device of the same dimensions. Many of the barrels are universal in nature. Even epoxying other mounts to the barrel works when threads don't match.

It's also possible that the optical element may be unscrewed to use it as an extension tube.
06-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pacerr, I agree that the T-mount threaded mount parts might be swapped out for m42 lens mount parts pretty easily, but meanwhile it's a handy accessory for a T-mount lens.
06-28-2016, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #836
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
A couple of weeks ago I got a t-mount-threaded Lentar 1.5x TC, and the only lens I can use it on is my antique Sigma-made Spiratone Ultra-tel F/8 500mm mirror lens. So last night, I attached this combo on my K100D, and with my not-used-enough tripod I set up to take several exposures of the full (or nearly full?) moon. Clouds were blowing in, but I had several chances to get cloudless shots, between cloud passages. I thought some of the exposures with partial cloud would be interesting; however, the camera only saw cloud in silhouette, not the tones I saw. The flat lighting the sun gives the full moon lessened detail, and there may have been some atmospheric haze softening details as well. The most detail was apparent on this underexposure I posted on the Show me your Moon thread: < https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/27...ml#post3684554 > . Much detail was washed out in exposures in which the moon appeared creamy white.
This was taken with the 55B Tamron Mirror 500, K3. Hand held, as the moon was just rising over the mountains. That color is what the moon actually looked like.
07-07-2016, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #837
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Few more from today with the 55B (Tamron 500) Handheld with K3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #838
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

This was taken with the 55B Tamron Mirror 500, K3. Hand held, as the moon was just rising over the mountains. That color is what the moon actually looked like.

Hand held?

You have very steady hands Carol, great photo.
07-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #839
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Racer, yes indeed; handheld! I have a "new" tripod and new ballhead, which I've used only once since I've gotten them, about 7 months ago.
07-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #840
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with Tamron Adaptall 2 55BB - 500mm f8

sunset:

and well after dark: