Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 474 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #796
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's been a while from the last time I used my 500mm Tamron F8 mirror, so decided to do a few pics with it today. Forgot how picky the focus is on it, but pleased with my results.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #797
Forum Member

might want to stop down when shooting the moon. I know with a "moon shade" on my 90mm Celestron, the detail is much stronger, although dimmer but a camera can work with that. Im buying one right now if I can bid it.
06-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #798
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got any pics of this "moon shade"? I've never heard of this. As you know, a mirror has no aperture iris to stop down, so if it's f/8, then that's all you're gonna get.

I find that it helps to recall that the moon is reflecting sunlight. Many people tend to overexpose for the moon because it's in a dark sky. Correct exposure for the moon @ ISO 100 is 1/125 @ f/8 or f/11 if you want a bit more contrasty detail. I actually prefer f/11. But in the case of an f/8 mirror, since f/11 isn't possible, it might be worth trying a shot at 1/250 and see what that gets for you.
07-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #799
Inactive Account

Yesterday, we had a photoshoot dedicated to 1980s car colours. I used the 18-55 DAL II kit lens, the M135 1:35, the M80-200, and of course, a mirror lens: the Rubinar 500mm f8. The following pic have been taken with the russian mirror lens.

Pictures link to my blog, where you find a gallery of 24 photos from this shoot.

10-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #800

Hey guys,

I stumbled across this forum and thread i nthe hopes of getting some info regarding a secondhand mirror lens I just purchased. It's the Opteka 500mm f/8, and the 2x tele. Got the Canon mount with mine from a local photography store. Anyway, I was quite blown away with the image quality of some of them and hence ending up with one. Great for moon shots and just general photography etc. Problem is, mine seems very soft, no matter how I do this. Took a look at a star, not sure which one, but it kinda looks like it pulls to the one side, no matter how gently I focus it. My question is, can these be collimated as with the telescopes? I have noticed three little screws behind the lens, not sure if it's for collimating it.

Thanx
10-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #801
Veteran Member

The Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror is made by Samyang and to be completely honest, does not have a good reputation. In fact, the results you're getting with yours are about par for the course. Unfortunately. Now, in recent years, Samyang has begun to produce some truly outstanding optics, such as their 85mm f/1.4, but this mirror isn't one of them. Samyang also produces a 500mm f/5.6 and 800mm f/8, both of which use the same optical tube assembly, just different mirrors and secondary optics. Now, these two mirrors have a much better reputation -- but even with them, quality control isn't the best, and I would recommend buying one only if you could return it if not satisfied -- or if you could try it before you buy it. I have personal experience with the Opteka 800mm f/8 and unfortunately my copy was very soft. So I returned it and shortly afterward bought a Tamron 500mm mirror. So, speaking of your mirror, if I were you, that's what I'd do -- return it and, if a mirror is what you want, find a good used one. Probably the best 500mm mirror for the money available right now is the Tamron, which is available in two different versions, either of which are excellent. Occasionally they can be found used for about what the Opteka 500mm mirror sells for new.

One area where the Tamron really shines and the Opteka doesn't is the focusing throw. The Tamron has almost 360 degrees of focus throw, whereas the Opteka's is barely 90. With a high magnification lens, a long focus throw is always better. The Sigma 600mm f/8 also has a very long focusing throw. Incidentally, if you get a good Sigma 600, it's one of the best, but unfortunately there is some quality variability that exists within its ranks. I know -- I used to own one I bought in 1984 that was incredible and I own a much more recent one now that is barely acceptable.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.
11-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #802
Pentaxian

I was having some de-stressing time playing with my MTO 1000A attached to my K-5IIs this evening after a tiring day and I post 2 of the pics I took just to add some more visual material in this great thread!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #803
Veteran Member

I've been going through some old slides I took back in the 1980s -- back when I owned Canon FD cameras and a Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror -- and I've run across several shots where I used that mirror, many of which are quite good. That old Sigma really did perform well. I sold it when I (temporarily) switched systems from Canon FD to Nikon. Should have kept it. Last year, I bought another Sigma 600/8, largely because of my experiences with the one I bought way back in 1984. This more recent purchase was a much later model, though. It has a Canon EOS mount, which is not very common. Anyway, after trying it out, I was quite disappointed to find that this later one isn't nearly as good as the original copy I owned. Oh well. I'm glad I also own a Tamron 500mm f/8, which is a tack-sharp mirror.

Ok, enough of that. Below is an image I took with that old mirror. I duped it using my dupe rig and my Sony NEX 7. The NEX 7, with its 24.3mp processor, delivers images that are 6000x4000 pixels in size, which is the same size of an image that you get with the latest super-expensive Nikon Coolscans. I downsized the image for display here, but I've included a link to the full 6000x4000 image, in case you'd like to examine it.

This is a shot of a B-17, the famous "Sentimental Journey," at an airshow in 1985. The plane was close enough where I couldn't fit it all in the field of view, but I'm glad I took this shot anyway because it's one of the sharpest images I've ever captured with that Sigma mirror. Canon F-1, Kodachrome 64.

And here's a link to the full 6000x4000 pixel image:
http://michaelmcbroom.com/images/aircraft/film/850185_b17_ff_sigma_600_1.jpg

I have more but I haven't uploaded them yet. So, more to come!
12-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #804
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the heavy vignetting in the original or in the reproduction from the slide?
12-06-2015, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #805
Veteran Member

That isn't vignetting -- that's the Sigma's characteristic hot spot. It was at its worst in high-contrast situations with lots of sky. But all these years later, it has become an easy way for me to identify photos taken with it. Although, it is worth stating that it doesn't show this hot spot in other situations. Mostly just when there's lots of sky, it seems.

This one also has a hot spot, but it doesn't really bother me:

Here are a few more I shot within a year or two of the above shot:

The following shots, you could argue the hot spot is sorta there, but you have to look for it:

Last edited by cooltouch; 12-06-2015 at 11:12 PM.
01-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #806

Is there anyone who's had any experiences with the sony / minolta 500mm af reflex? I'd love to hear more about it ... (not really a pentax setup, but this is the only mirror lens thread i've come across to date, and i'm DESPERATE for more information).
01-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #807

QuoteOriginally posted by laytid Quote
Is there anyone who's had any experiences with the sony / minolta 500mm af reflex? I'd love to hear more about it ... (not really a pentax setup, but this is the only mirror lens thread i've come across to date, and i'm DESPERATE for more information).
Here's one from earlier in the thread that you may have missed:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club-41.html#post2132245
01-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #808

Since there haven't been many recent additions, I thought I'd have a go.

All from a Tamron SP350 that I've had since the early 80s. First used with my Pentax MX, that my daughter has now pinched for her creative 35mm photography, and lately with first my K-30 (that she also pinched) then with my first K-S2 (also now pinched) and my second K-S2 that is just the best camera that I've ever owned.

My daughter obviously also likes her Pentax cameras too, because I never get to keep a new one for long, before she does the puppy eyes thing and walks off with it - kids, who'd have 'em?

Sorry about the obligatory moon shot, well you just have to don't you, with an SP350?
02-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I just bought a kit with a Monocular and a 500mm Reflex lens, but cannot identify the maker of the lens

I am willing to sell the lens (that's the monocular I was looking for)

Do any of you have more details on that lens as I cannot locate it in the Lens DB page... and how much should I ask for it ?
it is in Excellent ++ condition, seems barely used....
thanks

Last edited by Weevil; 02-10-2016 at 09:22 AM.
02-09-2016, 03:52 AM   #810

Looks like a Samyang to me.

Incidentally, taliking of monoculars, I have one of these for my Tamron SP350, very rare now: