---------- Post added 11-18-2016 at 09:46 PM ----------

---------- Post added 11-18-2016 at 09:47 PM ----------

---------- Post added 11-18-2016 at 09:48 PM ----------

11-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K1 with a 500mm Tamron SP Mirror lens

Minimal PP. Used tripod and 2 second timer, shake reduction turned OFF. Direct distance to hill about 8 miles.
IMGP0702enshp3 500mm
11-20-2016, 12:05 AM - 3 Likes   #843
Veteran Member

The Super Moon Two days past full, shot with my NEX 7 and Tamron 55BB 500mm f/8, ISO 100. One thing I like about this shot is it is full color, not grayscale, and the subtle colorations of the moon's surface are clearly visible.

11-20-2016, 04:23 AM   #844

There's some terrific surface detail in there cooltouch, who says that a catadioptric isn't sharp?

I haven't been able to catch the Moon as clearly as that, you must have good clear skies down there.

11-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #845
Veteran Member

Well, I'm shooting from within a large metropolitan area. Only the brightest stars are visible in the night sky. But the moon is so bright, it's not affected by light pollution. Still skies is another matter anyway. Seeing was good that night, but I think the shot would have been even better if I would have waited a couple hours. It was already after midnight, though, so I didn't want to wait any longer. But if I would have captured my images closer to the moon's zenith, they most likely would have had even better resolution.
12-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #846
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rubinar 1000 F10

I have just come by a Rubinar 1000 F10. Looks in excellent condition. Not had a chance to try it out yet; waiting for an adaptor for my K-30. Hoping the camera body won't obstruct fitting the lens as the lens seems very wide. Still I also have a K10D I can try. Please can anyone offer me any pointers for getting the best out of this lens? Even fitting it onto the camera looks like it might be a task, avoiding cross threading. I guess a tripod is going to be essential. What are the best ways to approach focusing with this monster? Are there any particular camera settings which can help?

Paul
12-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
pointers for getting the best out of this lens
.. mirrorless camera with strong magnification of the evf

Try live view with a loupe.

12-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #848

K10D prism housing interferes. You can use an extension tube at the price of infinity. Mirror less the way to go. Love to see some sample photos. Maybe I will get my copy up and running
12-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #849
Pentaxian

I have just come by a Rubinar 1000 F10. Looks in excellent condition. Not had a chance to try it out yet; waiting for an adaptor for my K-30. Hoping the camera body won't obstruct fitting the lens as the lens seems very wide. Still I also have a K10D I can try. Please can anyone offer me any pointers for getting the best out of this lens? Even fitting it onto the camera looks like it might be a task, avoiding cross threading. I guess a tripod is going to be essential. What are the best ways to approach focusing with this monster? Are there any particular camera settings which can help?

Paul
Your post reminds me of my initial post-thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233656-mto-lens-question.html

I don't know if your K-30 interferes with the back of the lens, K-5 surely doesn't. When mounted on a steady tripod and with live view you can take nice pictures (especially days with clear sky preferably after rains if you aim in great distances!). For handheld shooting and other settings you can read my posts. Enjoy your lens!
12-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #850
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Paul
At least two in country now. Mine fitted on K100DS and K3. K3 had more clearance to the lumpy bit in front of the prism.

Focusing is tough. The focusing screens in both K100 and K3 are very poor compared with the MX for manual focus. The focus ring has very heavy action.

Do you have any pictures of the radar signature minimising lens hood that were shipped with them for KGB use?

To mount - place the lens vertical, mount facing up. Then gently turn the camera body to screw it on. When carrying I always carry by the lens with the body hanging on the back - never by the body. I am a bit concerned about stress on the mount with a 2.5kg lens.

Last edited by tim60; 12-21-2016 at 11:18 PM.
12-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #851
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
.. mirrorless camera with strong magnification of the evf

Try live view with a loupe.
Thanks, I'll try live view. Not something I have made any use of previously. At least this lens is making me explore my camera's functions more. Paul

---------- Post added 12-23-2016 at 08:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OftheManor Quote
K10D prism housing interferes. You can use an extension tube at the price of infinity. Mirror less the way to go. Love to see some sample photos. Maybe I will get my copy up and running
Thanks. Pity that the K10D won't fit without an extension tube. Will see if the K-30 can handle the lens over the weekend. Paul

---------- Post added 12-23-2016 at 08:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Your post reminds me of my initial post-thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233656-mto-lens-question.html

I don't know if your K-30 interferes with the back of the lens, K-5 surely doesn't. When mounted on a steady tripod and with live view you can take nice pictures (especially days with clear sky preferably after rains if you aim in great distances!). For handheld shooting and other settings you can read my posts. Enjoy your lens!
Thanks, will see if the lens can fit on my K-30 over the weekend. If not I guess I'll have to buy an extension tube set; but I really would prefer to keep infinity focus capability. Paul
12-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
At least two in country now. Mine fitted on K100DS and K3. K3 had more clearance to the lumpy bit in front of the prism.

Focusing is tough. The focusing screens in both K100 and K3 are very poor compared with the MX for manual focus. The focus ring has very heavy action.

Do you have any pictures of the radar signature minimising lens hood that were shipped with them for KGB use?

To mount - place the lens vertical, mount facing up. Then gently turn the camera body to screw it on. When carrying I always carry by the lens with the body hanging on the back - never by the body. I am a bit concerned about stress on the mount with a 2.5kg lens.
Thanks; glad about the advice for mounting the lens on the camera; I was wondering about the best way to approach that. The adapter for my camera has arrived now so I'll give it a go over the weekend. Is "the radar signature minimising lens hood" the standard one that ships with the lens? If so I have one of them; it's substantial, like the lens. I'll do a photo of it. What was the idea of the "radar signature minimising"? Paul
12-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #853
Pentaxian

Thanks; glad about the advice for mounting the lens on the camera; I was wondering about the best way to approach that. The adapter for my camera has arrived now so I'll give it a go over the weekend. Is "the radar signature minimising lens hood" the standard one that ships with the lens? If so I have one of them; it's substantial, like the lens. I'll do a photo of it. What was the idea of the "radar signature minimising"? Paul
I was given mine with three filters (for others these are 116mm and go on the front), a soft black bag and a booklet in Russian (with poor quality printing, especially the pictures that looked like old style photocopier photos). No lens hood at all. If the hood is kind of normal shaped it is probably not special. It was too assist detection avoidance when using it for spy purposes. Two of my filters were originally stuck together (thread quality issues) and I got strap wrenches to separate them. It was hard getting one long enough to go around.
12-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #854
Veteran Member

Rubinar 1000 F10

The filters that came with mine are small, apparently designed to fit inside the rear lens mounting. Now tried the K-30 but it seems the flash housing gets in the way of mounting the lens. So it looks like I will have to go down the extension tube route. I really didn't want to lose infinity focusing. How much is an extension tube going to reduce this by? I guess it's also going to impact on F10 capability as well? As I don't already possess an extension tube set I would probably be best getting a modern bayonet set (for greater flexibility with other lenses) and mounting the M42 adaptor on the front of one of those, but I'm not sure if this is practical or would cause other complications. I do already have a 1.4 TC so I understand this could be used to attach the Rubinar, but presumably that is going to affect IQ in the same way it would with other lenses. I wanted to use the Rubinar in particular for bird photography on lakes and wide rivers. Not sure if this is going to work now. Paul
12-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #855
Pentaxian

The filters that came with mine are small, apparently designed to fit inside the rear lens mounting. Now tried the K-30 but it seems the flash housing gets in the way of mounting the lens. So it looks like I will have to go down the extension tube route. I really didn't want to lose infinity focusing. How much is an extension tube going to reduce this by? I guess it's also going to impact on F10 capability as well? As I don't already possess an extension tube set I would probably be best getting a modern bayonet set (for greater flexibility with other lenses) and mounting the M42 adaptor on the front of one of those, but I'm not sure if this is practical or would cause other complications. I do already have a 1.4 TC so I understand this could be used to attach the Rubinar, but presumably that is going to affect IQ in the same way it would with other lenses. I wanted to use the Rubinar in particular for bird photography on lakes and wide rivers. Not sure if this is going to work now. Paul
How much does it foul the flash housing?

I tried using the lens on bellows and it did not make much difference to MFD which is 4m on mine which boasts macro.

But what you say about the filters suggests there is more than one version. Mine definitely has filters that look like plumbing fittings.