Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 500mm f/8 sharpness:

12-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #1218
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Those are nicely-captured, Ash. The boy in the second is in good focus, while the two girls exiting left aren’t much behind, but are beyond the thin DoF. Which mirror lens were you using?
Thanks Rob. All with the Tamron 500mm SP 55BB f/8 reflex.
12-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #1219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks Rob. All with the Tamron 500mm SP 55BB f/8 reflex.
One of the best, I think. I have one, plus a Pentax 400-600 that it puts somewhat to shame.

12-23-2021, 11:11 PM   #1220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Tamron 500mm f/8 sharpness:
Great images and the lens is super sharp for a mirror lens.
12-24-2021, 12:18 AM - 8 Likes   #1221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a cheap Tamron mirror last year as a late Christmas gift to myself. Turns out I got a new looking 55B for $75 Canadian, and it really is nearly new. It's not the easiest lens to use, but digital with high ISO and decent light makes it a lot easier to hand hold. It's better than I thought it was going to be, when I manage to get the focus right at least. These were taken handheld with my K3.

I like it for sunset shots too, you can get some interesting details in the sky with the reach. These ones were taken with my K3 from a tripod.

It works good for closer photos too.

It's not the sharpest lens in the world, or the easiest to use, but it's far from terrible.
Kristian
12-24-2021, 12:27 AM   #1222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
I bought a cheap Tamron mirror last year as a late Christmas gift to myself. Turns out I got a new looking 55B for $75 Canadian, and it really is nearly new. It's not the easiest lens to use, but digital with high ISO and decent light makes it a lot easier to hand hold. It's better than I thought it was going to be, when I manage to get the focus right at least. These were taken handheld with my K3.

I like it for sunset shots too, you can get some interesting details in the sky with the reach. These ones were taken with my K3 from a tripod.

It works good for closer photos too.

It's not the sharpest lens in the world, or the easiest to use, but it's far from terrible.
Kristian
Really beautiful set! Hard to imagine these were taken with a manual focus mirror lens, apart from the little donuts in the bachgrounds...

12-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #1223
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done Kristian. Those images are superb, particularly the last 3, exemplifying this lens's close-focusing ability with sharpness and dare I say a pleasing bokeh!
12-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #1224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, the results can be pretty decent when I do my part, but I wouldn't want to try using it on film. A focus screen designed for manual focus would make it easier, but dealing with relatively slow film speeds in anything other than direct sunlight would be tough without a tripod. I do like the lens though, and it has a more or less permanent spot in my bag. I've also got a manual focus Pentax 400, and it doesn't come out nearly as often as the Tamron, because I have to plan ahead with it.
Kristian
01-03-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #1225

A Vermillion Flycatcher visiting my yard over New Years. Taken with a K-70 and a Vivitar 800mm Solid Cat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #1226
Pentaxian

Hi all, a question. Has anyone here tried "relaxing" their Russian mirror lens? Apparently many Russian mirror lenses are somewhat distorted through overtightening during assembly, and a loosening of the primary mirror can improve image quality. This is the procedure is outlined here: Die Russentonne: Justierung und Verbesserung der Qualität (The same translated article also explains how to adjust the focus stop to increase back focus, thus enabling the attachment of prisms and eyepieces for astronomical use of the lens as a telescope.)

If anyone has done this, was the need to do this obvious from use in its uncorrected state? How much of an improvement did it provide? My MTO seems to do pretty well, but I'm wondering if it could do better. I'm wondering about other users' experiences before I take a screwdriver to it. The mirror relaxation seems a simple enough procedure that I don't think I'm risking turning my lens into a really big paperweight, but still, suggestions, experience and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
01-03-2022, 11:14 PM - 4 Likes   #1227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a couple more shots from my Tamron 500mm and K3. The first one is a bit of a crop.

And some Christmas lights with the same lens on my K1, 20 second exposure.

Kristian
06-06-2022, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #1228
Pentaxian

Here are some from my Russian 1000mm mirror. Uncropped unless noted otherwise. Red Tailed Hawk nest a few blocks from my home.

100% crop of the above:

It wasn't until I was looking at the shots once I got home that I discovered that the item on the menu was avian rather than mammalian. The 100% crop shows some toes sticking out of Junior's mouth:

Last edited by Thagomizer; 06-07-2022 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added correct image
06-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #1229
Pentaxian

Technical Question

I have a Centon 500mm mirror lens (made by Samyang and also sold under other brand names including Opteka and Vivitar) Opteka ( Samyang, danubia etc.) 500mm Mirror F8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database . The question is, is a rear filter necessary for best optical performance?

I bought it used some years ago and have rarely used it since, but I recently cleaned it up to give it a serious try. But from reading reviews here I have learned that it was originally supplied with some 30.5 mm filters that fitted in the back end, and my copy came without them. That would not matter, and I have fitted a front end 72mmm UV filter for protection anyway, except that some reviewers say that the optics are designed for a rear filter being present. Is this a fact? I don't understand why a plain filter would affect the theoretical optical sharpness. Maybe I would get a Skylight or a 1A filter because some say the images from mirror lenses tend to be a bit cold.
06-11-2022, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #1230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have a Centon 500mm mirror lens (made by Samyang and also sold under other brand names including Opteka and Vivitar) Opteka ( Samyang, danubia etc.) 500mm Mirror F8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database . The question is, is a rear filter necessary for best optical performance?

I bought it used some years ago and have rarely used it since, but I recently cleaned it up to give it a serious try. But from reading reviews here I have learned that it was originally supplied with some 30.5 mm filters that fitted in the back end, and my copy came without them. That would not matter, and I have fitted a front end 72mmm UV filter for protection anyway, except that some reviewers say that the optics are designed for a rear filter being present. Is this a fact? I don't understand why a plain filter would affect the theoretical optical sharpness. Maybe I would get a Skylight or a 1A filter because some say the images from mirror lenses tend to be a bit cold.
As I understand it, the rear filter is necessary only because it will shift the plane of focus, which isn't an issue if you use Live View (or, dare I say, another type of electronic viewfinder) but which would require compensation for an OVF.