Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love your b/w conversion, Yasic.

07-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #1175
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevePrime Quote
I love your b/w conversion, Yasic.
That's the only one I've seen so far, but the high key works very well here.
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #1176

Photos: Gallery
So somehow fate has a funny way of working my way today. My parents computer died the other night so we went to Rockford to look at computers at Best Buy (waste of time) and on the way we stopped by my favorite camera shop because I wanted to look into getting a good zoom lens to round out my bag (I only have 10-24mm, 18-55mm and 55mm Prime). I had been discussing it with my mom lately and she agreed that I should invest in one. I ask if they have the DA* 50-135 but he was out, he happened to be showing someone the DA* 60-250 F4 and we got into a somewhat lengthy conversation about some stuff at the end I thought I was just going to be leaving with a ballhead gorillapod and a Carry Speed camera strap. To both my and the clerk's surprise (we both did like a triple take with our mouths wide open) my mom just says "we'll take it." So I have to pay for half of it and the other half is basically the only christmas present I'll get this year, but I now have the DA* 60-250 in my now crowded bag lol. Now the only thing I'm looking at adding is the possibility of a good macro lens and I'll be well rounded out :P
07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #1177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DarkPrince Quote
So somehow fate has a funny way of working my way today. My parents computer died the other night so we went to Rockford to look at computers at Best Buy (waste of time) and on the way we stopped by my favorite camera shop because I wanted to look into getting a good zoom lens to round out my bag (I only have 10-24mm, 18-55mm and 55mm Prime). I had been discussing it with my mom lately and she agreed that I should invest in one. I ask if they have the DA* 50-135 but he was out, he happened to be showing someone the DA* 60-250 F4 and we got into a somewhat lengthy conversation about some stuff at the end I thought I was just going to be leaving with a ballhead gorillapod and a Carry Speed camera strap. To both my and the clerk's surprise (we both did like a triple take with our mouths wide open) my mom just says "we'll take it." So I have to pay for half of it and the other half is basically the only christmas present I'll get this year, but I now have the DA* 60-250 in my now crowded bag lol. Now the only thing I'm looking at adding is the possibility of a good macro lens and I'll be well rounded out :P
Sweet deal! I would expect a lot of good photos posted here with the 60-250 now.

07-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #1178
Pentaxian

Wow, I wish someone would buy me half a DA* lens - any of them! I, like most, will have to wait until christmas for my christmas present, but it won't stretch to a DA*.
07-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #1179
Veteran Member

Some guys have all the luck
Happy shooting, be sure to post your results here.
07-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #1180

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Some guys have all the luck
Happy shooting, be sure to post your results here.
Truth be told I'm quite nervous owning such an expensive lens, I was just going to look at the 50-135 DA* or maybe an equivalent sigma or tamron to save a few bucks, but apparently they like what I've been doing so far and both of them grew up doing it (My dad has an old Canon film SLR and my mom grew up with Pentax due to paternal grandfather). I'm still not wholly comfortable with it and part of me is tempted to return it since it's a $#it ton of money that I feel is unnecessarily spent...but then there is the greedy 24 year old in me that is like "naaaaaaah KEEP IT!" :P

Also the bag I bought with "room to grow" in it...doesn't want to easily fit all of this in it. I never ever use the Kit lens anymore but I still carry it with me. But this lens is just so big I can't find a good way to organize my bag and still fit everything in it and accessible

Last edited by MRHPhoto; 07-27-2012 at 08:42 AM.
07-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #1181
Veteran Member

Don`t worry, you realize soon that such expensive glass is usually worth almost every penny of it.
I had once the opportunity to test the 60-250 for 1,5 hour in a local zoo. I was so much impressed by it that the owner had to pry it out of my greedy claws

BTW: I think your mother has a fine sense for "investments"

As for your bag:
Yes, that is a familiar problem. Maybe it`s better to choose a limited and or specific setup before shooting and limit the weight?
07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #1182

I didn't get much time to mess around with it yesterday but here are a few.

250mm F4.0 ISO:1600 1/60th Handheld.

250mm F4.0 ISO100 1/200th tripod (new gorillapod ballhead).

250mm F4.0 ISO400 1/125th Handheld This is around a 100% crop, I haven't been able to figure out how to do an actual 100% on lightroom yet lol

60mm F4.0 ISO400 1/30th Handheld (duh lol) I hate pictures with me in it...especially kids who do the cameraphone in the mirror thing....but my camera is by far more badass lol

Last edited by MRHPhoto; 07-27-2012 at 11:57 AM.
07-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #1183
Veteran Member

Great first pics with the 60-250 - it is by far the favorite lens in my little collection.

Don't feel guilty about it - just enjoy it! Just look at your first results - I agree that although this is a very expensive lens, it is worth every penny of it. I scrimped, saved, and lusted over this lens for over a year until I was finally able to pull the trigger, and haven't looked back.

I hope you enjoy this lens as much as I do - it's a keeper!
07-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #1184

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Great first pics with the 60-250 - it is by far the favorite lens in my little collection.

Don't feel guilty about it - just enjoy it! Just look at your first results - I agree that although this is a very expensive lens, it is worth every penny of it. I scrimped, saved, and lusted over this lens for over a year until I was finally able to pull the trigger, and haven't looked back.

I hope you enjoy this lens as much as I do - it's a keeper!
I tried a few night/star shots with it tonight. Found 1 issue so far, I think my gorilla tripod doesn't quite like it being so heavy or something. Anything I took with that tripod had some motion blur even in mirror lock up, whereas with my regular tripod I had little to none, but the things aren't exactly huge and 100% stable :P

Here's a 2nd moon attempt at a 100% crop albeit a little out of focus since I couldn't quite get it right on the viewfinder and the LCD screen isn't the best at conveying it :/

07-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #1185

Photos: Albums
A few shots with my...

DA* 300mm (probably my favourite lens):