04-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #1876
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mucking about with the 40 during a break in play. ISO800 and wide open at 2.8

04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #1877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. I always wanted to be the car but my big brother would always get it and make me be the shoe. Stupid shoe!
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #1878
Veteran Member

My boy insisted on being the car and I ended up being the battleship.
04-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #1879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think our battleship went down the bathtub drain at some point. Who makes a battleship that sinks?

04-06-2012, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #1880
Pentaxian

great shot Mark! i always played with the car offline so when it came time to play the game, that piece was missing. Shoe for me too.

My new DA21 came in from Adorama (Helen is da bomb) and I took it out last evening to break it in:

The Delta

Looks like my beloved DA15 has some competition.
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #1881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
one from last night's ride across the valley.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
The Delta
really nice!
04-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #1882
Veteran Member

Very nice colour Mike. Its that little bit of reflected light on the water that makes it for me. Nice shot.

04-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #1883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
I'm looking forward to it already :-)
The Cito Garage Revisited
DA15 Ltd

Last edited by Schmidlapper; 04-17-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Changed photo version added quote
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #1884

Photos: Albums
A few with the DA 21 and my new Neutral Density filter:

04-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #1885
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I've used the 35 maybe three times in the past year, if that gives you any indication. ;-)

The 15 and 77 are indispensable to me. I use them all the time. In terms of color and contrast, the DA15 will feel very familiar to your 35.

The FA Limiteds are... different. The way they render tones is not nearly as... punchy; it's much more smooth. I don't know how else to describe it. I bought the 43 to 'replace' my 35 originally, but I have found they really don't do the same thing, even considering the difference in focal length. From the photos you've shown here I'd say your style plays to the rendering qualities of the DA35 (and the other DA Limiteds). Although I like the 43, it wasn't good enough to make me offload the 35, and lately I've found myself using the latter again.

Bottom line: you can't go wrong with the 15 and 77. Think carefully about what you want to do in between.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about these lenses, v5. I especially appreciate your take on the 35 vs. 43, and agree that my style (as evidenced by the photos you've seen here) is probably more compatible with the rendering of the DA Limiteds. That said, I do feel that I tend to play to the strengths of whatever lens is attached to the camera - hence the close focus, detail oriented and colorful shots that I naturally seek out with the 35Ltd. I know it would be much the same with the 15Ltd, consequently I do not have any doubts I would get along well with that lens. That is perhaps why I'm especially intrigued by the 43 & 77, as the unique and characterful rendering would be a refreshing change and challenge for me. One challenge that I wouldn't weclome, perhaps, is the seemingly less than ideal focal lengths these lenses offer on APS-C. Do you struggle with this at all? Also, have you ever tried out the 31Ltd from the FA trio?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I like this series a lot, especially the B&Ws.
Thank you, Jonathan.

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
Great work Nate. Cracking set.

Great landscape for a wander Matt.

One with the 70. Having trouble using the 15 at the moment. Very few shots with it.
Thanks, Mark. Lovely shot of your own here. Terrific mood and atmosphere.

How are you getting on with the 70Ltd? It doesn't seem this lens gets the respect/attention it deserves, as the images I see from it are consistently stunning in the hands of talented artists like yourself.

Last edited by nate_b; 04-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
04-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nate_b Quote
the close focus, detail oriented and colorful shots that I naturally seek out with the 35Ltd.
I know exactly what you mean!

04-08-2012, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #1887
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nate_b Quote
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about these lenses, v5. I especially appreciate your take on the 35 vs. 43, and agree that my style (as evidenced by the photos you've seen here) is probably more compatible with the rendering of the DA Limiteds. That said, I do feel that I tend to play to the strengths of whatever lens is attached to the camera - hence the close focus, detail oriented and colorful shots that I naturally seek out with the 35Ltd. I know it would be much the same with the 15Ltd, consequently I do not have any doubts I would get along well with that lens. That is perhaps why I'm especially intrigued by the 43 & 77, as the unique and characterful rendering would be a refreshing change and challenge for me. One challenge that I wouldn't weclome, perhaps, is the seemingly less than ideal focal lengths these lenses offer on APS-C. Do you struggle with this at all? Also, have you ever tried out the 31Ltd from the FA trio?
Honestly, I don't find the focal lengths to be awkward or hard to use. But then, I'm still relatively new to photography and don't have any particular attachments to the traditional FOVs. I started my kit with the 35Ltd because it was billed as an APS-C equivalent of a standard 50mm, but discovered I don't care much for that field of view, preferring something slightly longer for general shooting. I therefore bought the 43 (instead of the 31, which I felt would be a lot of lens in a focal range I don't care for) with the intention of replacing the 35. I soon learned that what everyone told me beforehand was right: the 43 and 35 are so different in most respects that one really can't replace the other. So I still have the 35...

I think you will get along well with the FA Limiteds. If you're going to give one a shot I recommend starting with the 77. It's very different from the 43 (far more different, I feel, than the DA Limiteds are from each other), and IMO it's the much better lens. I've never used the 31, but from all the images I've seen, I've always felt that the 43 was a bit of an odd man out for the FA Ltd series. Others love it, and I find it a good lens well suited to many tasks, but I don't think pixie dust when it's on the camera. It's possible I still have a bit of learning with it to do, because sometimes it surprises me.

Obviously the goal with all these lenses is to learn their strengths and weaknesses, and use them appropriately. I can only think of a few people who can normalize the output from the DA Limiteds and FA Limiteds so that the tools are bent to their style rather than their style commanded by the rendering characteristics of the glass that happens to be in front of them. I'm definitely not there yet, but it's possible and it is -- I think, anyway -- the real goal.
04-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #1888
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Honestly, I don't find the focal lengths to be awkward or hard to use. But then, I'm still relatively new to photography and don't have any particular attachments to the traditional FOVs. I started my kit with the 35Ltd because it was billed as an APS-C equivalent of a standard 50mm, but discovered I don't care much for that field of view, preferring something slightly longer for general shooting. I therefore bought the 43 (instead of the 31, which I felt would be a lot of lens in a focal range I don't care for) with the intention of replacing the 35. I soon learned that what everyone told me beforehand was right: the 43 and 35 are so different in most respects that one really can't replace the other. So I still have the 35...

I think you will get along well with the FA Limiteds. If you're going to give one a shot I recommend starting with the 77. It's very different from the 43 (far more different, I feel, than the DA Limiteds are from each other), and IMO it's the much better lens. I've never used the 31, but from all the images I've seen, I've always felt that the 43 was a bit of an odd man out for the FA Ltd series. Others love it, and I find it a good lens well suited to many tasks, but I don't think pixie dust when it's on the camera. It's possible I still have a bit of learning with it to do, because sometimes it surprises me.

Obviously the goal with all these lenses is to learn their strengths and weaknesses, and use them appropriately. I can only think of a few people who can normalize the output from the DA Limiteds and FA Limiteds so that the tools are bent to their style rather than their style commanded by the rendering characteristics of the glass that happens to be in front of them. I'm definitely not there yet, but it's possible and it is -- I think, anyway -- the real goal.
well stated, v5!
04-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #1889
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tammy & Aureen

Here's a portrait shot from Saturday of two friends, with the DA70 Ltd:

04-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #1890
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pancakes

I took my 40mm Limited out for a mid-day stroll in Melbourne city yesterday, with my two sisters; here are some shots:

Intimidate

Keep Clear

Dimensions

Look!

Yes?

I hope you enjoyed
My Flickr Photostream