Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Well I can't say for degradation as I am still playing with my Raynox 250. However, I must say that it is definitely better than a close up filter. As for how it connects, it has clips which will allow you to attach it to anything from 52mm filter thread to 58mm and more but my largest lens is a 58mm so I haven't tried anything above that. Step and/or step down rings as not necessary unless your lens barrel is smaller than 52 or larger than the biggest the clip can expend too.

How does one get those extreme macro shots. I particularly like the snowflake and the spiderweb with water on it I'm guessing? For those shots is the Raynox on some macro lens or a very large focal length lens?

02-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it will clip to a 67mm but won't work on my 72mm.

for a 49mm i use a steup up ring to 52mm for a perfect fit. you can sort of jam it on a 49 though, but it lacks finesse.

for my spiderweb and dewdrops shot, i used a Vivitar 90/2.8 which i believe to be 1:1 plus the Raynox 150 out front, so it is not very extreme, but just a slight boost on a fairly normal macro focal length.

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-01-2011 at 06:10 PM.
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #228
Pentaxian

yeatzee, what stacking software?
man, you are sick!
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I've been entertaining the idea of buying the 250 for extreme (talking just the eyes of jumpers) macros but im still a little un sure. How bad is the image degredation at magnifications greater than 1:1? How does the raynox attach to the lenses? Via the filter ring? So do I have to buy step up/down rings as well?
it will work from anything 49 filter size and up, 49 is the minimum as you kindda "screw" it on instead of using the springs.

I just got mine today, really fun, but very hard to focus (and i have the 150 VS the 250), it's usable, i just slap it on my 100mm macro since it's a macro lens, i rarely use it to take regular pictures.

i find that I usually sit at f11 or f18 to get a decent shot with some details, other wise too many things are out of focus because of the DOF at that kind of working distance.

took a test shot (actually like 15 to get this 1 lol)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A330  Photo 
02-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
it will work from anything 49 filter size and up, 49 is the minimum as you kindda "screw" it on instead of using the springs.

I just got mine today, really fun, but very hard to focus (and i have the 150 VS the 250), it's usable, i just slap it on my 100mm macro since it's a macro lens, i rarely use it to take regular pictures.

i find that I usually sit at f11 or f18 to get a decent shot with some details, other wise too many things are out of focus because of the DOF at that kind of working distance.

took a test shot (actually like 15 to get this 1 lol)
Oh ok, thanks.
Could someone test the affects of holding or placing a reversed lens with the raynox on between the camera and lens as well as after the reversed lens? Im curious to see what would happen

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
yeatzee, what stacking software?
man, you are sick!
Combine ZM

Last edited by yeatzee; 02-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Oh ok, thanks.
Could someone test the affects of holding or placing a reversed lens with the raynox on between the camera and lens as well as after the reversed lens? Im curious to see what would happen

Combine ZM
i don't have a 49mm coupling ring (the filter size on the raynox is 49), i have a 55 so that won't work. however I can tell you because the raynox decrease the working distance by quite a bit, doing a reverse on it will make it super hard to work (basically moving like 1mm will get things out of focus), so it's just not gonna work.

I did reversed a 55mm (my kit lens) on to the 70-210 i had, and the working distance is nearly unusable lol, it's probably just for fun if you want to magnify stuff, not recommended if you don't have hours takings thousands of pictures to get 1 good one.
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #232
Veteran Member

i don't have a 49mm coupling ring (the filter size on the raynox is 49), i have a 55 so that won't work. however I can tell you because the raynox decrease the working distance by quite a bit, doing a reverse on it will make it super hard to work (basically moving like 1mm will get things out of focus), so it's just not gonna work.

I did reversed a 55mm (my kit lens) on to the 70-210 i had, and the working distance is nearly unusable lol, it's probably just for fun if you want to magnify stuff, not recommended if you don't have hours takings thousands of pictures to get 1 good one.
Perhaps your not familiar with what I do? stacking images for more DOF is what I do

That is nothing out of the ordinary, and something I deal with every time I take macro's. My normal setup is a reversed setup on extension tubes.

If anyone could just hold the raynox and take a picture just to see the affects, that would be awesome

Last edited by yeatzee; 02-01-2011 at 08:08 PM.
02-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #233
Veteran Member

This is what I'd like to achieve, without cropping:

02-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #234
Veteran Member

This is what I'd like to achieve, without cropping:

that's a very good idea... but how do you keep the image to stay in the same frame (obviously you have to move the camera slightly right?)....

please walk me through the process, i wanna do it too .
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #235
Veteran Member

These are the photos I have taken using my P&S with Raynox 250 macro lens. These are probably my last set of pics using my P&S as I'm getting the K-x this week. Just can't wait for my K-x to arrive to pair it up with the 250.

The flower below was just about an inch wide.

And finally a video I have taken using the 250 -

02-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #236
Forum Member

Cactus flower, new Raynox 150

Cactus flower: D-x 55-300mm Raynox 150

I just got my Raynox; REALLY COOL! Thank you, all on this forum who inspired me! It's much harder than it looks to get the shots, though...I know I'm going to learn a lot trying to do this.
Attached Images

02-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got my Raynox 150 and I love it so far. I have been using it on my K-r with my 55-300mm lens. Here are a couple of shots:

02-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #238
Pentaxian

A few new Rayonox-assisted macros taken today:

this one is a crop
02-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
this one is a crop
Dew on the spider web... excellent photo Mike.
02-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #240

that's a very good idea... but how do you keep the image to stay in the same frame (obviously you have to move the camera slightly right?)....

please walk me through the process, i wanna do it too .
Kill the subject first...