Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #316
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You would have two choices for mounting the 150 on the 55-300mm, You can remove the hood and clip on the Raynox with the supplied clip, or you could mount the Raynox element in a 58-43mm adapter and screw it in like a filter. The clip would not likely work on the FA 31 but the adapter would. I don't know whether a Raynox would work on the 70-200mm.
Thanks for that, I kinda presumed they were just filters and thus came in different sizes , oh well 58-43mm Adapter it will be as there will be no way to fit it to my FA 31 otherwise, although it doesnt seem like a popular lens to use with the Raynox.

09-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm wondering if the 70-200mm listed in your signature is actually the A 70-210mm f/4? If so, it would have a 58mm filter size, and would also be a good candidate for the Raynox 150.
09-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #318
Inactive Account

I'm wondering if the 70-200mm listed in your signature is actually the A 70-210mm f/4? If so, it would have a 58mm filter size, and would also be a good candidate for the Raynox 150.
Good spotting! You are correct, its a weird one it says 70-200 on it but apparently goes to 210, and yes it does have a 58mm thread.
I actually take this one out alot for Macro ish type work, it just renders slightly softer which is nicer sometimes
09-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #319

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Thankfully RioRico pointed me here for more information and man it is info overload haha...anyways I'm still having a hard time choosing which one I want/should get based on my gear...I have the 18-55 kit lens and tamron 70-300 di LD. I believe from all that I read that people would recommend it this way to me:

If using the tamron, get the dcr 150 for easier use and the 250 has vignetting; which can still be cool.
Also from what I have read, most would tell me to stick with using the tamron with the adapter, correct, instead of using the kit lens with either adaptor, if I were to buy both?

Sorry if any part of my post is unclear.

09-15-2011, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #320
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
If using the tamron, get the dcr 150 for easier use and the 250 has vignetting; which can still be cool.
Also from what I have read, most would tell me to stick with using the tamron with the adapter, correct, instead of using the kit lens with either adaptor, if I were to buy both?
Actually, the Tamron 70-300mm does not vignette with the Raynox 250 as long as you use infinity focus. I assume it's because the Tamron was designed for full-frame, unlke the DA 55-300mm, which is APS-C only. There's no reason to use anything other than infinity focus, because you use the zoom to vary magnification with these long telezooms.

The Raynox 150 is always easier to use than the 250, because it has a longer working distance and lower magnification. However I wouldn't necessarily recommend only the 150 for you. Either will work well with your lenses, both will give you macro capability beyond 1:1. The clip-on adapter works with either lens, so you can clip-on clip-off in an instant. Which to choose depends on what you're trying to do:

- Ease of use, get the 150
- Extreme magnification range, get the 250
09-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #321

Actually, the Tamron 70-300mm does not vignette with the Raynox 250 as long as you use infinity focus. I assume it's because the Tamron was designed for full-frame, unlke the DA 55-300mm, which is APS-C only. There's no reason to use anything other than infinity focus, because you use the zoom to vary magnification with these long telezooms.

The Raynox 150 is always easier to use than the 250, because it has a longer working distance and lower magnification. However I wouldn't necessarily recommend only the 150 for you. Either will work well with your lenses, both will give you macro capability beyond 1:1. The clip-on adapter works with either lens, so you can clip-on clip-off in an instant. Which to choose depends on what you're trying to do:

- Ease of use, get the 150
- Extreme magnification range, get the 250
Hmm, being in this situation I might just buy both and see which I like better! B/c honestly, I don't like being near creepy crawlers/etc so the longer working distance is appealing but then I also really love the extreme close ups that the 250 would give over the 150. Thanks for the help and response!
09-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #322

For some reason I just realized that if I were to buy both adapters and return one, that I would have to pay for return shipping as it is not the sellers/products fault for one of them being returned thus I'm still back to my original problem of which to buy.

I've already stated my reason for each one but was wondering is there a way to extend the working distance of the 250? The closest I would like to be to some subjects is about 1 (American/USA) foot. Any other thoughts?

09-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #323
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
I've already stated my reason for each one but was wondering is there a way to extend the working distance of the 250? The closest I would like to be to some subjects is about 1 (American/USA) foot. Any other thoughts?
Nope, the focal length of a diopter isn't exactly fixed, but it won't focus (much?) beyond its nominal focal length. For a close enough approximation of subject distance, divide the number of diopters into 1000.

For the 250:

1000/8 = 125mm focal distance

For the 150:

1000/4.8 = 208mm focal distance

For a distance of 1 foot, you need a weaker diopter:

1000/(12X25.4) = 3.3 diopters. Of course magnification will decrease as subject distance increases.

With the Tamron set for 300mm and infinity focus, a 3.3 diopter will achieve about 1:1 macro. I don't believe Raynox makes a 3.3 diopter. Others have made achromatic diopters, (Currently Available 2 Element (Achromatic) Close-up Lenses)**, but possibly not as versatile as a Raynox and likely more expensive. I would discourage you from simple diopters, stay with an achromatic.

** The webpage says Currently Available but I'm reasonably certain most of them are obsolete.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-15-2011 at 06:18 PM.
09-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #324

Nope, the focal length of a diopter isn't exactly fixed, but it won't focus (much?) beyond its nominal focal length. For a close enough approximation of subject distance, divide the number of diopters into 1000.

For the 250:

1000/8 = 125mm focal distance

For the 150:

1000/4.8 = 208mm focal distance

For a distance of 1 foot, you need a weaker diopter:

1000/(12X25.4) = 3.3 diopters. Of course magnification will decrease as subject distance increases.

With the Tamron set for 300mm and infinity focus, a 3.3 diopter will achieve about 1:1 macro. I don't believe Raynox makes a 3.3 diopter. Others have made achromatic diopters, (Currently Available 2 Element (Achromatic) Close-up Lenses)**, but possibly not as versatile as a Raynox and likely more expensive. I would discourage you from simple diopters, stay with an achromatic.

** The webpage says Currently Available but I'm reasonably certain most of them are obsolete.
Hmm, alright well guess that pretty much makes my choice then...does anyone know of a company and/or person who could possibly rent/lend out the dcr 150? I'd like to use it before buying it as I'm a (almost broke) college kid and don't want to have to deal with return costs, shipping, etc...
09-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #325

Well I just ordered my Raynox DCR 150! Hopefully, it will be here sooner rather than later but I guess as long as it gets here and works as it should then i'll be ok with that too. Thanks again for all the info everyone!
09-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #326

QuoteOriginally posted by LEON Quote
I just paired my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 with DCR250, and I love it!!!
nice! what was the distance from the Raynox to the subject when you took these? wonder whats the magnification when its 200mm + DCR-250.
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #327
Veteran Member

Night of the Zombies

Just finished shooting in my backyard with a new setup. This time I used my Sigma 70-300 DG APO with a Raynox 150 macro lens attached. I've only shot a few pictures with this combo, but so far I like this setup the best. You don't have to get too close to the subject, maybe 30" instead of 3", so it is much easier to use.

Also, I really don't have to use any other flash but the onboard flash, no diffuser or anything.

Well, here are a few of the "Zombie Bug" I took just after sunset. I'm not sure what kind of bug it is, but it was extremely small about 1/4 the size of a regular small fly.

Did I mention I LIKE THIS SETUP!

09-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Just finished shooting in my backyard with a new setup. This time I used my Sigma 70-300 DG APO with a Raynox 150 macro lens attached. I've only shot a few pictures with this combo, but so far I like this setup the best. You don't have to get too close to the subject, maybe 30" instead of 3", so it is much easier to use.

Also, I really don't have to use any other flash but the onboard flash, no diffuser or anything.

Well, here are a few of the "Zombie Bug" I took just after sunset. I'm not sure what kind of bug it is, but it was extremely small about 1/4 the size of a regular small fly.

Did I mention I LIKE THIS SETUP!
Nice !

I shot the same odd fly here in Sweden a couple of months back.
Really small and really odd looking.
This shot is not using any Raynox but my Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro lens. I wanted to ask what a Raynox 150 would do on a macro lens that already reaches 1:1 on its own?
09-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Nice !

I shot the same odd fly here in Sweden a couple of months back.
Really small and really odd looking.
This shot is not using any Raynox but my Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro lens. I wanted to ask what a Raynox 150 would do on a macro lens that already reaches 1:1 on its own?
Hey Martin, you must be reading my mind--I was thinking about asking the same question, but for my 90mm Tammy. That fly sures does get around, eh?
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #330

I'm just getting started in digital photography after a 20 year absence from slrs. Yesterday I purchased two vintage lenses very cheaply on line in the hope of getting set up for floral macro. They are Raynox 135 mm f2.8 and 135 mm Duo Tamron. I've seen some fabulous closeup photos taken with these lenses. Are those fabulous closeups taken with these lenses done by the lenses themselves or do I need to add multipliers or extension tubes ? My main interests are very small blossoms, berry clusters and pine cones etc. ?