Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 386 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #856
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice capture but did you use AF to get it?

06-25-2019, 09:11 AM - 8 Likes   #857
Pentaxian

A few DCR-250 shots from this spring reposted from other threads - all of these were with the Raynox on the D-FA 100mm WR... Dollar for dollar, the DCR-250 is still my best photographic purchase, bar none.

06-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #858
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nice capture but did you use AF to get it?
Thanks. no AF here. focus ring set to infinity and was moving back and forth
06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
A few DCR-250 shots from this spring reposted from other threads - all of these were with the Raynox on the D-FA 100mm WR... Dollar for dollar, the DCR-250 is still my best photographic purchase, bar none.
Outstanding, inspiring and intimidating.

06-26-2019, 12:08 AM   #860
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted

Thanks. no AF here. focus ring set to infinity and was moving back and forth
Well, that may seem different to what I shoot as to why I asked if you used AF. I set my lenses to close focus, not infinity.
06-26-2019, 03:52 PM - 7 Likes   #861
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Outstanding, inspiring and intimidating.
Thanks! (I think! )

I also shot a little with the MSN-202 this spring - so powerful! I paired it with a Pentax-M 135mm F/3.5 and it worked pretty well, IMHO. But not easy to shoot, and you need really small subjects - with the lens at infinity focus, the APS-C frame is about 7mm. (And it doesn't change much when you change focus...)

Results (again, reposted from other threads):

06-28-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA 100mm Macro + Raynox 150

A few weeks ago I bought a Raynox 250 DCR. This week I got the Raynox 150 just because I could. Today I tried out the DFA 100 with the 150 on the spider living on the baseboard of my recently remodeled work space. I used two Lume cubes, with diffusers, another experiment, to light her and placed a clear plastic ruler in the frame. The marks are 1/16” apart. This is a significantly cropped photo as well.

EDIT: Marks are 1/16th of an inch apart. Also while trying to adjust my gear and ruler on a hardwood floor while down on my 69 year old knees and elbows I managed to accidentally crush my model with the ruler. She has an even smaller cousin a little further down the baseboard.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 06-28-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Epilogue.
06-29-2019, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #863
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Also while trying to adjust my gear and ruler on a hardwood floor while down on my 69 year old knees and elbows I managed to accidentally crush my model with the ruler
That's why I lay down, my 69 year old knees and elbows can't handle the stress either.
06-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #864
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
. focus ring set to infinity and was moving back and forth
Focus ring should be set to close focus, not infinity.
06-29-2019, 12:23 PM - 3 Likes   #865
Pentaxian

Either are OK, at least in my book. You'll get more magnification with the lens at MFD, but if you're getting the shot you want with the lens at infinity focus, then that's fine too. AFAIK, the stronger the diopter, the less the focus ring will have an effect. Also, obviously, the less a lens can go to close focus on its own, the less using the focus ring will have an effect. Finally, I think the longer the lens, the less using the focus ring will have an effect. FWIW, the DCR-150 is a +4.8 diopter, the DCR-250 is +8, and the MSN-202 is +25.

One more with D-FA 100mm WR and DCR-250:

06-30-2019, 04:48 AM   #866
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In my experience close focus works best but I don't shoot lenses longer than 200mm. When I first start shooting with the Raynox DCR-150. someone on here told-me to put the lens on close focus not infinity. At that time I was using a Sigma 70-300mm. I don't remember now, why they said close focus instead of infinity but it's worked for me since that time.
06-30-2019, 05:47 AM   #867
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With respect to how to set a lens for best IQ when using a Raynox, from running a few casual tests, I suspect that:
1) whether to set the lens @ infinity or close focus will probably differ from lens to lens, and may make a greater difference with a lens that has internal focusing than one that is unit focusing. Also, some macro lenses perform better when in the macro range*, but some non-macro lenses perform better when in the "normal" range, commonly somewhere between infinity and closest focus.
2) for zoom lenses it is almost certain the best FL to use is the one where the zoom performs best without the Raynox. This commonly means something slightly less than the shortest FL, and never at the longest FL. For a 70~300mm, I would expect optimum IQ with the lens somewhere from 100 to 200mm.

*Lenses almost always perform better at some distances than others. A lens can be formulated to perform best in the macro range or at infinity. This is most obvious for lenses optimized for "deep macro" = 1/2 life size and closer. Lenses optimized for say 2X natural size will have a sharp falloff in IQ at greater and lesser magnifications. This phenomenon exists but is less pronounced when focusing a non-macro lens from infinity down to 20 inches. Somewhere in that distance range there will be a sweet spot for the lens.

So the lesson is the old one so often repeated: Experiment with what you have to see what provides the best results or what is satisfactory for you.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-03-2019 at 03:47 AM.
06-30-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #868
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Diopter magnification is affected by the focal length of the host lens. If your lens suffers from focus breathing (focal length changes as focal distance changes), you can end up with significantly less magnification at close focus. For example the 18-250mm's actual focal length is only about 70mm (IIRC) when set to 250mm and minimum focus. Macro magnification is weak at 250mm and MFD.

If I have a Raynox mounted on a zoom lens, I use infinity focus and vary the focal length for magnification. If I have a prime mounted, I use the focus ring to vary magnification.
07-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #869
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Diopter magnification is affected by the focal length of the host lens. If your lens suffers from focus breathing (focal length changes as focal distance changes), you can end up with significantly less magnification at close focus. For example the 18-250mm's actual focal length is only about 70mm (IIRC) when set to 250mm and minimum focus. Macro magnification is weak at 250mm and MFD.

If I have a Raynox mounted on a zoom lens, I use infinity focus and vary the focal length for magnification. If I have a prime mounted, I use the focus ring to vary magnification.
And whatever works for one, don't always work for another. What works me, may not work for any one else. When I use the the 250 it's attached to a prime 50mm f2. When I use the 150 it's attached to any prime lens longer than 100mm. I no longer use it either on zoom lenses.
07-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #870
Pentaxian

always used my raynox this way.i recall that i read it on here somewhere and it always seemed to work