Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
Igilligan

Jay...

Those top two... I love them.

That plant photo is what I strive for... and the train with what I am assuming are Christmas light Highlights in the background... Is a great Christmas shot... (dont tell me if I am wrong!) Let the magic of Christmas live!

09-28-2009, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took this one over the weekend w/ K-7 and K50/1.2 wide open:

09-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Jay,
those are the very photos that fueled my LBA for this lens. ironically, i bought ended up buying mine from YOU, haha.
Gus, holy cow man - you got some great shots!
i love it too, like you guys already said, it is fun to just shoot any old subject and sit back and see what you got.
09-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

here's one at f/1.2

at greater DOF, this was a lame shot, but open up the aperture and the lens does some crazy things.

09-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
... shooting anything and everything that moves or has shape or color,
Gue,
I am relieved to see you are posting again after getting your ass kicked by this guy for taking his picture.
09-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

this may have been at f/1.2 - i can't remember.

09-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Igilligan

Mike that is a cool shot... I have not got the "bubblegum" highlights yet with mine...

Love how the bee is glowing and translucent with the sun shining though it... The flowers even pop! Nice one!

09-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Wide open f1.2
Attachment 44128

Last edited by IS050; 06-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

here's one from the K 50 wide open

09-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Okay, I'm going to have to stop following this thread; getting way too many crazy ideas on how I can save pennies to get a Cosina!

Absolutely gorgeous shots; for the time being, I'm slapping on my lowly A 50mm F1.4 for this week and going to drown my sorrows...

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
at greater DOF, this was a lame shot, but open up the aperture and the lens does some crazy things.
09-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

and another one here:

09-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a word of warning PF-U: focusing an f/1.2 lens isn't easy.it takes a lot of practice and experience. because the DOF that you see in the VF isn't anywhere near as shallow as what you're actually getting. Katz eye focus screens help, but they foul up the spot metering in some cameras - I personally don't use them for this reason. spot metering is too important for my wildlife photography
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
a word of warning PF-U: focusing an f/1.2 lens isn't easy.it takes a lot of practice and experience. because the DOF that you see in the VF isn't anywhere near as shallow as what you're actually getting. Katz eye focus screens help, but they foul up the spot metering in some cameras - I personally don't use them for this reason. spot metering is too important for my wildlife photography
I'm considering myself on getting a Katz-Eye for the K-7. I have them in my previous SLR and dSLRs. they are of convenience. anyway, I haven't experienced any metering problem and I'm glad I didn't. I guess that problem is not that all prevalent to all cameras.

another asset in focusing would be the magnifying eyecup.
so far, the OME-53 eyepiece helps me at close-focus, wouldn't bother using it in the dark though. usually, I would switch to LV when the lighting is really bad and couldn't see and focus in the OVF anymore. although LV is very helpful as well especially when it comes to fine focusing the tiniest or smallest detail of the object by magnifying it as much as 10x manually or 6x AF. quite nice, eh? would had been much better if grid lines were present during magnification, not to mention the absence of the friendly focus beep/lock during manual focusing. due to this handicap, this would also mean that there isn't a catch-in focus shooting either for manual lenses during LV mode. the other downside of LV is that it's shaky and laggy view, most especially during image magnification, and also the slow AF. due to these weaknesses, it is essential to use this only with a tripod or still subjects. this is also the reason why a KatZ-Eye is still a necessity when shooting fast animate small/miniature subjects.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-29-2009 at 12:13 PM.
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've already posted these in the A club.

a version in monochrome

09-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well I am on vacation and I have been shooting my K20D with a Jinfinance 45° split screen, OM53 and several A lenses. I have also taken one of my LX using the same lenses.
Switching back and forth from K20D to LX is night and day. On the LX you simply see when you are in focus
I have a Katzeye sent to me that did not make my travelling cut off date : and I hope it is better than the eBay one and more reliable for metering.
Of course I should just shoot film and solve the issue

Cheers,

Luc