Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #1441

While I very much enjoy the vast majority of the very abstract and painterly photos in this thread, I think sometimes it would be nice to see posted, a photo of the same scene but at a smaller aperture, so as to have an idea of what I'm actually looking at, for context as well as subject identification.

This would be helpful in identifying the subject(which I admit I sometimes cannot) and also help to demonstrate what a dramatic effect the large aperture has, on what I suspect in many cases are quite plain and mundane scenes/subjects, if they were to be photographed at say f8 or f11, kind of a before & after. Anyone else feel similarly?

12-03-2013, 02:28 AM - 2 Likes   #1442

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Please do so! It's great fun
In the meantime I did join... 2nd is done, now to see what will be a nice subject for 3rd of bokehcember

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
It's the most challenging and fun photog'ing I've found, both in the taking of and post-processing.
You mean the f1,2 photographing? It can be a challenge... For me the challenge lies in finding the right subjects to go with the short dof. I have a s - type focusing screen in my K5 to help with pinpointing the focus and post-processing for me means mostly removing chromatic aberrations / fringing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I think the Revuenon MC 55mm f/1.2 is probably your best bet. Reasonable prices if you can find them and they seem very sharp to me. Otherwise the Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2 is good and can be found much cheaper the the A 50 f/1.2.
I am owner of the pentax K 50/f1,2 αnd recently I bought the A 50/f1,2 ... I heard some people talk about the A being a bit sharper or more contrasty, plus it's way easier to use flash with the A version. I will probably sell the K version. Though I really love the A 50/f1,2 I wonder sometimes about the Revuenon due to difference in minimum focus distance.

One that I made yesterday:

12-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #1443
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh that is just lovely Margriet....
12-03-2013, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #1444
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really like that last shot, Margriet. I am lucky enough to have the Revuenon and the A50 f1.2. They are both absolutely great lenses but for me the Revuenon wins out, especially given the difference in price. I have always meant to shoot some comparisons when I get a chance. I too have the ee-S focusing screen (carefully adjusted with the shims), that really adds a lot to these lenses. And you are right, serious fringing control often has to be done in post.

I got both of mine for doing studies of plants and nature mainly. For this application, I do think that the MFD is a frustration with both lenses. Using a Raynox or similar allows close-up application, but there is still a gap in field of view between raynox (close up) and the MFD that I think would be very useful to cover.

I have found that an unexpected application for these lenses is table/drinks shots. In particular with the Revuenon, something about the woozy ambiance conjured up, as well as the size of the subjects makes it a perfect drinks lens!

John

Last edited by johnc; 12-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.
12-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1445

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Oh that is just lovely Margriet....
thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Really like that last shot, Margriet. I am lucky enough to have the Revuenon and the A50 f1.2. They are both absolutely great lenses but for me the Revuenon wins out, especially given the difference in price. I have always meant to shoot some comparisons when I get a chance. I too have the ee-S focusing screen (carefully adjusted with the shims), that really adds a lot to these lenses. And you are right, serious fringing control often has to be done in post.

I got both of mine for doing studies of plants and nature mainly. For this application, I do think that the MFD is a frustration with both lenses. Using a Raynox or similar allows close-up application, but there is still a gap in field of view between raynox (close up) and the MFD that I think would be very useful to cover.

I have found that an unexpected application for these lenses is table/drinks shots. In particular with the Revuenon, something about the woozy ambiance conjured up, as well as the size of the subjects makes it a perfect drinks lens!

John
You seem to have the same interests as I do I mostly find my subjects in nature, botany/flora being the big part as I work outside in the summer as vegetation researcher/mapper I also like to photograph glass bottles or glass ornaments.. I often use extension rings to obtain closer focusing abilities but even the smallest extension ring makes it too close with the pentax-A, I think it might just be better with the revuenon... but I will just have to find a good work around for this lens, the first close up filter I already tried and raynox seems the next thing to find

My single in bokehcember shot from today, also at f1,2 so here's the crosspost:

12-05-2013, 07:08 AM - 3 Likes   #1446
Forum Member

I own the Pentax A 50/f1.2 and the Revuenon 55/f1.2. They both are ones of my favorit lenses and I am planning to make a comparison soon.

Revuenon 55/f1.2

Waiting for the rider

Pentax A 50/f1.2 - Pics from trip to Istanbul

Old gramophone

Stopped time

Aromas of the Orient

Turkish Coffee Pots

A Clean, Well-Lighted Place
12-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #1447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by candid Quote
I own the Pentax A 50/f1.2 and the Revuenon 55/f1.2. They both are ones of my favorit lenses and I am planning to make a comparison soon.

Revuenon 55/f1.2

Waiting for the rider

Old gramophone

Stopped time

Aromas of the Orient

Turkish Coffee Pots

Nice set! I especially like the pocket watches and the bike.

12-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #1448
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Nice set! I especially like the pocket watches and the bike.
Echoing LeRolls' sentiments: v. fine photos!
12-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #1449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photoso, the last one is absolutely the best IMO.

I had both and kept the Revuenon after carefully consideration.

QuoteOriginally posted by candid Quote

Revuenon 55/f1.2

Waiting for the rider

Old gramophone

Stopped time

Aromas of the Orient

Turkish Coffee Pots

12-09-2013, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #1450
Forum Member

Thanks guys, I am encouraged
Here is another one with Pentax A 50/f1.2

Fig leafs
12-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #1451

K 50 1.2

12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #1452

Tonight me and my mother (my father didn't want to mess with it) decorated our Christmas tree so I did't want to wait and I immediately grabbed my camera...
The light was strong red and the original photos are pretty saturated, so I decreased it and even "developed" some B&W photos, and I can tell you, I'm more than satisfied

K 50 1.2

(here I've attached my magic bookeh )

(magic bokeh again )

12-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1453
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
A good set, that'll be you all festive now then.
12-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #1454
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Someone was eager to use this K50/1.2 on a 5D and chopped off the aperture lever and grinded down the aperture guard.
The latter was totally unnecessary since only 3 small screws hold the lever guard ring.
Upon inspection of the aperture lever mechanism, I do think its removable too unlike some of the Pentax lenses.
So in all, an unnecessary mutilation of a good lens and history.

12-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #1455
Pentaxian

I just screwed up and slept through my closing bid on ebay for a mint Cosina 55mm MC 1.2.
Can't seem to find another, and it looks like that version is the only one with 9 blades. Oh well, one day I'll enter the 1.2 club- if I ever see one of those again, that is.
When were these lenses last produced?