Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1085 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #1081
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one is with a Cosina 55mm f1.2, actually happy with how sharp this lens is wide open, given a little bit of distance and some light!

Attached Images

02-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #1082
Inactive Account

From my K10D & A 50/1.2

02-13-2012, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1083
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Revuenon 55mm at f1.2
K-5
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #1084
Pentaxian

Porga, that is simply sublime. I can think of no way to improve upon it.

THAT is why we have f/1.2 lenses.

02-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #1085
Veteran Member

I accidently bought a Porst 55 1,2

Will post pictures when I get it! Love this thread.

One question tho. If I remove the aperture lever, will it stop down when turning the focus ring? Going to use the lens both on k-5 and eos 5-d.
02-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #1086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you post a photo or two of the lens itself? I have the Porst 55/1.2, but I do not recall a lever. It came with the Pentax K mount. Please show the pics.
Thanks, Pepe

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote

One question tho. If I remove the aperture lever, will it stop down when turning the focus ring? Going to use the lens both on k-5 and eos 5-d.
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #1087
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate it when that happens

QuoteQuote:
The thread loves you too!

QuoteQuote:
One question tho. If I remove the aperture lever, will it stop down when turning the focus ring?
No, but it will stop down when turning the the aperture ring

QuoteQuote:
Going to use the lens both on k-5 and eos 5-d.
We won't hold it against you. But bear in mind it won't stop down automatically on the K-5 if you remove the lever.

02-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #1088
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
We won't hold it against you. But bear in mind it won't stop down automatically on the K-5 if you remove the lever.
Although, if you only use it wide open (which other way would you use it anyway?) you need not to stop it down. If you go to f/1.4, the Pentax M or SuperTak f/1.4 will do a better job than the Porst. I only use it at f/1.2 for some creative photos.
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #1089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I now understand your question. The Porst 55/1.2 is known to get the spring that closes the diaphragm broken easily, making it permanent wide open. The aperture lever is forced open by the camera. My Porst spring broke and I have to stop it down manually, this is fine when the lens is outside the camera, but once it is on, the aperture lever is capture by the camera and force wide open. I am thinking in CUTTING the lever so that it is not trapped by the camera. The lens will function just as a Super Takumar, in AV priority but the aperture will be set manually. THis is a permanent fix, that I am considering. The alternative is find the right spring and put it on. I would like to see if yours is fine, or if the spring already broke and is wide open. I must say that while I had my lens on my Kx, it was fine. THe spring broke after using it on the K5. I cannot proof that the K5 did it, but I am suspicious.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 02-17-2012 at 06:59 AM.
02-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #1090
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Porga, that is simply sublime. I can think of no way to improve upon it.

THAT is why we have f/1.2 lenses.
Thank you.
02-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #1091
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I now understand your question. The Porst 55/1.2 is known to get the spring that closes the diaphragm easily, making it permanent wide open. The aperture lever is forced open by the camera. My Porst spring broke and I have to stop it down manually, this is fine when the lens is outside the camera, but once it is on, the aperture lever is capture by the camera and force wide open. I am thinking in CUTTING the lever so that it is not trapped by the camera. The lens will function just as a Super Takumar, in AV priority but the aperture will be set manually. THis is a permanent fix, that I am considering. The alternative is find the right spring and put it on. I would like to see if yours is fine, or if the spring already broke and is wide open. I must say that while I had my lens on my Kx, it was fine. THe spring broke after using it on the K5. I cannot proof that the K5 did it, but I am suspicious.
Ah, so there's a spring. Will remove it then. I like how the m42 lenses stop down. Perfect. Can tell you about mine when I get it, it's in Germany atm. Why cutting the lever, just remove it?
02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #1092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, so there's a spring. Will remove it then. I like how the m42 lenses stop down. Perfect. Can tell you about mine when I get it, it's in Germany atm. Why cutting the lever, just remove it?
I think I miss explained to you. Do not make any change until you know what you are doing. I had my lens served by Eric and it is now working nicely. There is a missing spring that help close the diaphragm. However, the lens works fine. Eric's magic cleaned up the oil and left it real sweet. I do stop it down with the green button now. The key (I read this here) is to remember that these lenses (f1.2) were designed for low light, that is they work great in low light conditions. If uses outside they get softer because the large glass gets light from everywhere. A hood would be great, the bigger the better.
02-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #1093
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I now understand your question. The Porst 55/1.2 is known to get the spring that closes the diaphragm broken easily, making it permanent wide open. The aperture lever is forced open by the camera. My Porst spring broke and I have to stop it down manually, this is fine when the lens is outside the camera, but once it is on, the aperture lever is capture by the camera and force wide open. I am thinking in CUTTING the lever so that it is not trapped by the camera. The lens will function just as a Super Takumar, in AV priority but the aperture will be set manually. THis is a permanent fix, that I am considering. The alternative is find the right spring and put it on. I would like to see if yours is fine, or if the spring already broke and is wide open. I must say that while I had my lens on my Kx, it was fine. THe spring broke after using it on the K5. I cannot proof that the K5 did it, but I am suspicious.
Thank you for the answers!

I got my lens today! Very impressed with the looks of it, very sexy on the k-5 + grip. Only looked at pics in the camera so far, but they look kind of OK at 1,2, even at far distances.

It seems my lens suffers from a broken spring as well. It does stop down outside the camera, but when on it doesn't stop down every time, only like 1/10 times. Very strange.

Can't we just unscrew the 4 screws in the back of the lens and pull the lever out instead of cutting it?
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #1094
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the answers!

I got my lens today! Very impressed with the looks of it, very sexy on the k-5 + grip. Only looked at pics in the camera so far, but they look kind of OK at 1,2, even at far distances.

It seems my lens suffers from a broken spring as well. It does stop down outside the camera, but when on it doesn't stop down every time, only like 1/10 times. Very strange.

Can't we just unscrew the 4 screws in the back of the lens and pull the lever out instead of cutting it?
It may need clean up. After Eric cleaned mine, it is very smooth and stops down without problem. Even with a little spring (that helps to close the diagphram and that is located at the very end in the rear when you open it) missing. Maybe you want to send it to Eric. It is worth it.
02-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #1095
Veteran Member

Some pics with Porst 55 @ 1,2 on K-5.

We got semmeldagen/fat tuesday today in Sweden, so we eat semlor. It's like octoberfest but we eat bread instead of beer (nah, but almost). Semla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the dishwasher, everything looks cool at f1,2

Near 100% crop of a duck. ISO 80 1/8000 I believe. NO PP, only cropped in lightroom. It renders impressive colors for being 1,2, even if the light is very strong without hood.