Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K 1 + K 50 1.2

01-06-2020, 06:07 AM - 3 Likes   #1938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunrise on the Frost

Frosty grass at dawn taken with the Pentax-A f/1.2 on my LX. Film was Kodak Gold.
Attached Images

01-06-2020, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #1939
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapted Nikkor-O 55mm f/1.2 CRT lens. Shot wide open on my Pentax K-1 camera.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
01-08-2020, 03:20 PM - 4 Likes   #1940
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K 50 1.2 on K-50 SOOC

01-10-2020, 01:47 PM - 8 Likes   #1941
Pentaxian

K 1 + K 50 1.2

01-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #1942
Forum Member

Well, that is a very nice photo of a proud and magnificent swan. Nice light conditions, suitable for this lens.
However, I think that a portrait orientation would have been better suited.

I'm quite new here, so excuse me for the abrupt question :
Is the Pentax K 50mm f1/1.2 a lens that you would advise to buy ?
I can safely categorize it as an expensive lens.

Currently I own the Pentax-A f/1.4 , which is already very difficult to focus accurately on the original DSLR Pentax focussing screen.

01-11-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #1943
Pentaxian

Praktica*ist, thank you on your comments. I wasn't particularly happy with the orientation too since I cut swan's reflection, but considering I had to chase a bird at f1.2 by focusing manually it's ok...

I paid 200 euros for this lens. Yes, it is expensive but lenses are rather expensive these days, especially new lenses. Ok, some vintage manual lenses are not that expensive but the price of collection quickly builds up, 50 euros by 50 euros and suddenly you're at 500. There are some more expensive old lenses too. So, this one is in the middle. Also, some new manual lenses for K-mount from Samyang, for example, are more expensive than this one. Samyang 85mm f1.4 is considered a cheap lens and it is 270 USD, the best price on internet. Pentax K 50mm f1.2 can be bought between 200 and 300 USD in very good condition from Japan on eBay. I bought mine locally from a photographer who used it extensively. It's rather dusty inside, but I didn't hesitate too much, around a day and a half because it was a good offer considering no shipping involved and I could try the lens too. If you read reviews here on the site, they will see that it is difficult to focus, that it is not sharp, full of aberrations at f1.2. I think that those reviewers didn't know how to use it and how to focus and what to expect. This lens is sharp at f1.2. It is sharper and without aberrations compared to AF version of FA 50mm f1.4 which I also have and bought it new. This manual lens is two times heavier too, better glass, more metal. Please check some of the photos in recent posts, I took them all at f1.2. Perhaps I should write review too. This lens is amazing actually. At night it is like at home. This is night, indoor lens. But good for very dark sunsets. Light is beautiful then too. This lens requires very little post processing. For delicate shots I focus in Live View. Focus peaking is your good friend. My keeper rate is very, very high. It can achieve focus even in optical viewfinder if you set the focus micro-adjustment well, I set mine to -10, but it is a gamble and would't really recommend it unless you have less important static subjects. I use it on K-1, didn't try it on my other camera, K-5 II. I have this lens for exactly 3 weeks and so far it doesn't leave my camera. At f2.8 it is ridiculously sharp. Do you need this lens? Well, only you can tell. Do you want it, that is another thing. If you want part of the Pentax's history on your camera then the answer is simple. It is first Pentax lens with f1.2 and together with A version of this lens the fastest Pentax lens ever. All K glass which was made before they started to introduce cost cutting is amazing according to the users on this site. You will not make a mistake if you buy it cause these things can be resold, they don't lose value like consumer electronics. This is classic, well know equipment. But be cautious to get a good copy without fungus, hazing or separation because this lens is very hard to open and service for less experienced people. Good luck.

Last edited by 5r82; 01-11-2020 at 10:15 AM.
01-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #1944
Forum Member

Well, thank you for the compelling points.

I progressively acquired quite a few classical Pentax glass, and this f/1.2 would take a good place in my collection. Or would it be one another lens in an already too full closet ?
GAS inside...

And I swore to remain quiet in 2020.

As for the focussing difficulty, I'm fine when using my old trusty K-m, which was upgraded with a Katzeye focussing screen. These screens were so good... In my K-5, before changing the screen, I had quite a low success rate, using the 50mm f/1.4. This despite the better viewfinder. So I'm a little worried to not be able to use a nice glass like this f/1.2 fully. Now, in my K-5 I changed the screen for a cheap chinese knock-off : the microprisms and split-prism are nice indeed, but the rest of the screen is not up to standard. So I guess that if I'm deciding to pick this lens, I should upgrade the focussing screen also.

The prices you mention seem on the low-end of the spectrum. I see prices ranging from 250 to 500 $ in finished auctions, depends of the lens condition of course... Picking a cheap specimen with fungus does not wory me too much. I would consider myself as somewhat experienced in lens surgery, having proceeded to various tasks on a dozen of optics. Are there really some special difficulties opening this particular lens ? Apart from beaten condition, the only issue that really bothers me is haze / separation within doublets. This is not fixable without heavy equipment and serious technician skills. This 50mm f/1.2 lens does have a cemented doublet, so I must remain careful if I decide to go for it.
01-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #1945
Pentaxian

Yes you are right, separation could be a problem, although some people were even able to fix this. But definitely would try to become surgeon on some more affordable lens. Well, if you search the internet you will see that people had troubles opening it. For example, lot of people thought that you need to unscrew the name plate at the top of the lens which is the case with other Pentax lenses but it's not like that. The whole assembly is released by accessing some screws near focusing ring, don't know full details... please read those threads elsewhere if you ever go into the surgery of this lens. If the fungus is the only issue, you would probably be able to open it and fix it by relying on the information from the internet. I was having some sort of moratorium on new purchases but really could not resist this lens and miss it cause I doubt I'd buy it later on from the internet. Think this lens is worth it. Btw, just found this link on YT. This Sir speaks of this lens in a really nice way. It seems he also opened it recently to clean it and was successful, perhaps you could contact him some day if you need help.
01-12-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #1946
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Natures Own Fairy Lights

Water droplets backlit in the morning sun, such a spectacle.

01-12-2020, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #1947
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Getting To the Root Of The Problem

A bit late in this case...

01-14-2020, 01:54 PM - 4 Likes   #1948
Pentaxian

K 1 + K 50 1.2

01-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #1949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
K 1 + K 50 1.2
It got me Remembering the first time I shot with the Pentax-K 50mm f1.2, I was amazed about its sharpness compare vs Tomioka 55mm f1.2
01-16-2020, 05:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1950
Pentaxian

K 1 + K 50 1.2

---------- Post added 01-16-20 at 05:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
It got me Remembering the first time I shot with the Pentax-K 50mm f1.2, I was amazed about its sharpness compare vs Tomioka 55mm f1.2
I didn't see many photos of Tomioka and its clones, but it certainly looks appealing to me. It can create artistic dream images due to its bokeh. Pentax is more like a regular lens. It can create great sharp portraits at f1.2 with great background blur. Totally usable as a modern lens for portraits.