Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
My most recent experience with Katz Eye screen, K-7...
Has the Katz Eye improved your manual focusing experience? I've used a Chinese split screen on my K10D, but I focused by looking through the ground glass, not the split prism.

01-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miserere, I've Katz Eye focusing screen in my K10D since probably close to year and a half. And it's been precise (or so I think at least) and indispensible aid to my photography. When I installed another screen in K-7 initially I thought I had it nailed. But then I noticed a rather serious misfocus. Later on, having brought it to Pentax Israel for inspection I was told that in fact the screen was 0.3 mm (or something like that) off its absolutely precise position. But they couldn't fine tune it for me locally so I am left out with a problem at my hands.

With my eyesight, Katz Eye and viewfinder magnifier (original too) are very helpful. It is just that now I have precision problems, that I hope to resolve eventually.
01-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #198

a few more

k-7 with m50 1.2 wide open

01-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #199
Veteran Member

M 50mm 1.2? Don't think such a lens exists. There are K and A 50mm 1.2's but the M series only have 1:1.4, 1:1.7 and 1:2.0 (easily confused with a 1:1.2).

01-15-2010, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #200
Veteran Member

K50 f1.2 - learning to use it

I've just got a K50 f1.2 from a friend here in Singapore - this thread had something to do with it! It's dangerous to browse this forum.

Anyway here are a few of my first attempts:

Some flowers - not up to the standard of some in this thread but enough to get me excited about the lens ...

Handheld by candlelight (little temple in the lane behind my home)

Focusing is terribly hard even with the viewfinder magnifier - in general I have found catch-in-focus with AF more accurate than my eyes. But it's bit restrictive because the crucial item has to be in the middle of the frame. But the low-light possibilities of this lens while travelling (church interiors and all that) have got me quite excited.

Tim
01-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Nice work Tim.

keep practicing with it ... you will be rewarded with some amazing images.
01-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Miserere, I've Katz Eye focusing screen in my K10D since probably close to year and a half. And it's been precise (or so I think at least) and indispensible aid to my photography. When I installed another screen in K-7 initially I thought I had it nailed. But then I noticed a rather serious misfocus. Later on, having brought it to Pentax Israel for inspection I was told that in fact the screen was 0.3 mm (or something like that) off its absolutely precise position. But they couldn't fine tune it for me locally so I am left out with a problem at my hands.
I had that problem with my K10D. Initially I thought it was the Katzeye - but then it became clear that all MF on the camera was slightly out. Maybe I distorted something when installing the replacement screen - it seemed too thick, and I had to push the little frame quite hard to make it click.

Tim

01-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Nice work Tim.

keep practicing with it ... you will be rewarded with some amazing images.
Thanks Simon. You're right - there's no substitute for just doing it.

Tim
01-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #204
Veteran Member

#4 is wonderful Tim! To get those three tips in focus and nothing else, and then a nice bokeh sea of white and green behind. Really great shot!
01-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #205
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
I've just got a K50 f1.2 from a friend here in Singapore - this thread had something to do with it! It's dangerous to browse this forum.

Anyway here are a few of my first attempts:

Some flowers - not up to the standard of some in this thread but enough to get me excited about the lens ...

Focusing is terribly hard even with the viewfinder magnifier - in general I have found catch-in-focus with AF more accurate than my eyes. But it's bit restrictive because the crucial item has to be in the middle of the frame. But the low-light possibilities of this lens while travelling (church interiors and all that) have got me quite excited.

Tim
Good work Tim! Very nice shots. Yes....focusing is hard. I use focus bracketing wich will give me more to chose from!
01-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upd: Removed a photo, 'cause it wasn't shot at f/1.2. My mistake.

Last edited by Boris; 01-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
01-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
M 50mm 1.2? Don't think such a lens exists. There are K and A 50mm 1.2's but the M series only have 1:1.4, 1:1.7 and 1:2.0 (easily confused with a 1:1.2).
Yes, my mistake . . . it is a K.
01-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #208

Hi,

My contribution (and probably, the only one before a long time: the lens used here wasn't mine), two samples with a Nikkor 50 f/1.2 on my K10D through an adapter ring (no infinity focus, but really fine close focus lens):

Both at f/1.2, straight from the raw files without PP.

Cheers
01-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #209
tux
Forum Member

Anyone that has a K-x or K7 should try focusing in liveview mode when your in very low light. I find it is actaully easier than looking through the viewfinder & have been using it on my K-x & 1.2 with good results. I dont have a split screen.
01-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
Anyone that has a K-x or K7 should try focusing in liveview mode when your in very low light. I find it is actaully easier than looking through the viewfinder & have been using it on my K-x & 1.2 with good results. I dont have a split screen.
But Tux don't you find (unless you're using a tripod) that holding the camera away from your face is inherently less stable, therefore you're losing a stop or two in terms of shutter speed? If you're focusing on something a distance a way, you could shut off LV and go back to the VF after focusing; but with something a bit closer, you would lose precise focusing by doing that. I've hardly used live view for that reason.

Tim