Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The "Cheap AF 28ish-80ish zoom lens" club

I don't think anybody has started such a "club", so I thought why not?

I know I love my $22 Sigma 28-80. What cheap AF zoom do you love?

Here are the rules:

1. The lens can be made by any company.

2. The lens must be auto focus.

3. The lens must fit in the range of 24mm - 105mm. In other words, a 35-70 is ok, an 18-105 is not.

4. You must have purchased the lens for less than $50, and the lens must be regularly available for less than $75. No sliding in with a Sigma f2.8 24-60 because someone didn't know what they had.

That's it for the rules. If you can, please post a photo of your lens and one or more taken with your lens. Show the world that you don't need a ton of money to take a great photo!

(I'll post mine seperately so I can keep this post "clean".)

11-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 Macro

This is the lens... (not actually mine, but the same thing. Thanks to whoever posted this image in the lens review database!)

The cons: It has a slow maximum aperture, using the "Macro" mode is somewhat awkward, and the mounting for the hood was designed by a 5 year old with a crayon.

The pros: The IQ is great, it focuses faster than any other lens I have ever seen, it is pretty compact, is light, and it was $22 brand new in box at Ritz when they were closing. I actually bought two of them! From what I understand this lens usually sells for about that much new on ebay. Did I mention how fast the focus is?

Here is what it can do:

11-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Can't MF lenses join? D:
11-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Can't MF lenses join? D:
Sorry. They get to join the "Cheap MF 28ish-80ish zoom lens" club. It is coming soon to a forum near you!

Seriously though, go ahead and start it if you want. I'd rather keep this one AF.

11-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same experience with the Sigma mini-zoom macro as well. Got it from a Ritz store closing. It is a fun and inexpensive lens. Copies for sale pop up here infrequently and some people should consider getting one.
These are some of the first images I captured with mine back in April.

I plan on having a session with my Pentax SMC FA 28-90mm f3.5 sometime soon 'cause it is the only lens I have to fit an old polarizer. I have been away from using a polarizer since going digital I thought I would play around with the FA 28-90 and c-pl a bit. Maybe post 'em here.
11-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Sorry. They get to join the "Cheap MF 28ish-80ish zoom lens" club. It is coming soon to a forum near you!

Seriously though, go ahead and start it if you want. I'd rather keep this one AF.
Seriously, you are missing a load boat of manual focus zooms. Yes, AF is handy and much easier to use but there are untapped lenses that can rival all of your famous AF cheapo zoom lens.

I am a sucker in cheapo lens but I make little distinction if at all between AF and MF in my selection. In my experience, those in MF tend to have a faster speed and better build.

Also, with the latest and greatest in third party AF zoom in 28-80, I see less a reason for cheapo AF zooms but the MF zoom that have the faster speed have a different character on their own are more worth looking into.

For AF favorite cheapo zooms, my selection is subjective as many people really hated this lens that cost around $10 to 50, most lost the power zoom switch cover

Thanks,
Hin
11-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #7

The cheap and much maligned SMC Pentax-FA 28-80 f3.5/5.6 is the lens I have on my k100d most often. It works well enough for me.
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0368.jpg
Views: 4856
Size:  213.7 KB
Scott

11-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I gave my Sigma mini zoom away, but having bought it for about $15 or so, it was amazingly decent, and had a 1:2 semi macro if I remember correctly. I'm missing all my photos taken before 2007 though, and I had it in 2006...
11-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #9

Not a great photo, but I just took it yesterday with my 28-105mm powerzoom. The waves are awesome on the Oregon coast at the moment.

11-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer to say inespensive

SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4.5 for $10 cdn.

All that was wrong, like many other power zoom lenses was the zoom mode switch, which in this case was completely missing. ALl I did was put a layer of tape inside to plug the gaps, then fill the space for the switch with black epoxy.

It does not matter since the only thng pentax supports on the PZ lenses these days is the zoom motor, which still works.

this is a 100% crop
11-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Seriously, you are missing a load boat of manual focus zooms. Yes, AF is handy and much easier to use but there are untapped lenses that can rival all of your famous AF cheapo zoom lens.

I am a sucker in cheapo lens but I make little distinction if at all between AF and MF in my selection. In my experience, those in MF tend to have a faster speed and better build.

Also, with the latest and greatest in third party AF zoom in 28-80, I see less a reason for cheapo AF zooms but the MF zoom that have the faster speed have a different character on their own are more worth looking into.

For AF favorite cheapo zooms, my selection is subjective as many people really hated this lens that cost around $10 to 50, most lost the power zoom switch cover

Thanks,
Hin
I know that there are many wonderful MF zoom lenses on the market. The point is to limit the size of the "club". If we allowed MF zoom lenses in the same range then we might as well just start the every lens on earth club.

P.S. I like the one of the red trolley car. Nice pan job.
11-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
Not a great photo, but I just took it yesterday with my 28-105mm powerzoom. The waves are awesome on the Oregon coast at the moment.

That is a really cool shot, but is there soap in the water? It looks like there is a mix of foam and popcorn flying at you! How did you keep the camera, or for that matter yourself from getting wet?
11-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The (IMO) totally underrated FA 28-90 f/3.5-5.6, $19 on ebay:

11-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
That is a really cool shot, but is there soap in the water? It looks like there is a mix of foam and popcorn flying at you! How did you keep the camera, or for that matter yourself from getting wet?

The sea was crazy and there was foam everywhere. Since the lens was so inexpensive and I was shooting with a weather sealed body, I didn't mind if I got a little wet, but I didn't. I have about 8 other shots like this, but I liked that one the best. Here is another to give you an idea of the amount of foam. This made me move from my original spot.

11-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Takumar F 28-80

And, the lens.