Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I guess you're right. There is something Leica-esque in the Pentax approach!
Both have a small, loyal number of followers, and have an history of very high build standards.
I still have my old M5 and CL film cameras, but I have just a couple lenses left, of scarce commercial value.
I am afraid I should have sold the camera bodies long ago, as I don't shoot film anymore and the prices are falling... but I couldn't help myself. I love both cameras, and I love the quality of Leitz (now Leica) lenses.

If you bought the right adapter (for M mount, not R) maybe you will find the focusing restrictions too limiting. It would probably depend on what and how you shoot. Fortunately, if you ever decide to sell your Leica glass, there would be many full frame mirrorless shooters interested in your lenses.
Before the Sony A7 Leica M objectives were not as popular and expensive.
In the end, whatever your choice, your investment has kept its value much better than mine. Not so bad, isn't it?
CyberJunkie: It's true...my Leica glass has kept its value....If your CL is in good condition, it can go for anywhere between 700-1400 (US) The CL (film) body can go from 300-900. These are 20-30 old cameras and they hold their value. The CL is a particular curiosity because it was a joint Leica Minolta project (similar to Panasonic and Leica today), yet the build quality was excellent.

12-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
These are 20-30 old cameras and they hold their value. The CL is a particular curiosity because it was a joint Leica Minolta project (similar to Panasonic and Leica today), yet the build quality was excellent.
Yes, in fact my CL has a Minolta 40mm on it
It is a great little lens, and is widely believed to be a little better than the version marked with the Leitz brand.
I guess I would get almost as much as the original Leica one, if I decide to sell it.

I gave a good thought about the Leica M39/M stuff I still have, and I realised that the only OEM lenses left are the ones that can be used on the Pentax K-1 (which I will likely never sell).
Most Leitz lenses, even some old, simple designs that are not worth much in the used market, continue to surprise for their micro-contrast and overall clarity of the image, which makes them especially good for B/W.
After I saw how it performs on modern high res sensors, I decided to give up the idea of selling my Telyt 4/200mm for Viso, and I'm thinking of trying it on the K-1 along the Summicron 2/90 and the Elmarit 2.8/135mm. I already have the required OUBIO ring with tripod mount, and the PK adapter would be the same I use with the other two - far more prestigious - M objectives.

In the meantime... I still have to fit a Leitax knock-off on my one and only R lens: the old 4/100mm Macro.
I bought it after I saw the incredible pictures of reptiles and amphibians shot with the same lens by an australian nature photographer.
It blew my socks off. I immediately thought: I must have that lens!

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 12-06-2018 at 12:46 PM.
12-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CyberJ: My 90mm Rokkor Leitz was originally designed for the Minolta CL...I use it on my M9 and it takes excellent portrait photos with nice bokeh and little barrel distortion...Plus it's 35 years old and no haze of fungus...
12-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K & F Leica M-Mount to Pentax K Adapter Limitations

CyberJunkie's point of no infinity focus on M-Mount glass to Pentax K is correct. Here's the description summary attached

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
12-11-2018, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 and Sumicron 50

12-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
K-1 and Sumicron 50

Beautiful natural colors, clear subject and excellent bokeh--looks 3d. Great shot.
12-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Beautiful natural colors, clear subject and excellent bokeh--looks 3d. Great shot.
Thank you. The Sumicron is a special lens with its own character.