sum 80 Dave
pentax K1 f1.8 / f2

11-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
sum 80 Dave
pentax K1 f1.8 / f2
Sorry, I really did mean to say 80mm Lux. I'm getting forgetful in my old age.

Today I was out shooting a new to me lens - Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Classic version. In the near future I hope to compare it to my 80 Lux. Both have terrific bokeh, we'll have to see how they compare with each other at f/1.8 f/2

Dave
11-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #438
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Lovely colors and background blur. That Leica R 50/1.4 is certainly a unique and very special lens.

Did you take these lovely photos with a Pentax K-1? At f/2 ?

Regards,
Dave in Wisconsin USA
I just ordered a KIPON Leica L/M to Pentax K adapter....hoping to use some of my Leica glass on my K-1ii as some of the new FF lenses are bulky and heavy for travel purposes and general street photography. What settings would you recommend to max out the Leica with this adapter?
11-20-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I just ordered a KIPON Leica L/M to Pentax K adapter....hoping to use some of my Leica glass on my K-1ii as some of the new FF lenses are bulky and heavy for travel purposes and general street photography. What settings would you recommend to max out the Leica with this adapter?
For jpg's, I just use the default "bright" setting. It produces good colors.

12-03-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #440
Veteran Member

Last edited by teiki arii; 12-04-2018 at 04:02 AM.
12-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Leica Lens Survey for Pentax Owners

Ordered a Kippom adapter and can't wait for it's arrival. I plan to stick that bad boy on my KP as soon as possible and hook up my lenses. As a curiosity, I would like to know what Leica lenses Pentax owners have and what Leica kit you own in conjunction with the lenses (if any):

Here's my list:

Leica M9 (new sensor-6/2017)
Leica CL-Digital

Lenses:

Leica Summicron 35mm f/2
Leica Summarit 50mm f2.5
Leica Rokkor 90mm f4

Voigtlander 35mm Nokton f1.2
Voigtlander 25mm f4
Voigtlander 75mm f1,8
Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 (a favorite on my CL)

Leica 16-56mm T/L
Leica 11-23mm T/L
Leica 50-135mm T/l

I'm going to be selling some of these as I want to consolidate my kits and concentrate on Pentax. I'm a bit older now and the Leica's don't have image stabilization built in so I've noticed a bit of a downturn in the quality. I saw this thread and figure I'll try and use some of these primes on my Pentax bodies since the Leica glass is awesome.
12-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #442
Pentaxian

Merv, I'm not familiar with many of your lenses. Although the Voigtlander 75mm f1,8 is an old favorite of mine.

Please read past postings in this group to see which Leica lenses are favored around here.

Leica glass we have talked about in this group are Leica R lenses. I don't recognize your lenses as being Leica "R" lenses. I was not aware one could adapt Leica M mounts to Pentax K. I would be interested to know more about how you do that.

12-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #443
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Merv, I'm not familiar with many of your lenses. Although the Voigtlander 75mm f1,8 is an old favorite of mine.

Please read past postings in this group to see which Leica lenses are favored around here.

Leica glass we have talked about in this group are Leica R lenses. I don't recognize your lenses as being Leica "R" lenses. I was not aware one could adapt Leica M mounts to Pentax K. I would be interested to know more about how you do that.
The Full Frame Lenses are M-Mount lenses for the M8 thru M10 series cameras. The telephoto lenses are part of the new APS-c Leica line started in 2014 with the Leica T series (currently up to TL2) and the new APS-c Leica CL which uses these lenses. They have a different size, so only the prime M-series lenses will work with the L to P adapter, similar in scope to the R lenses, where you are manually adjusting focus and aperture. When the adapter arrives (I ordered it from Tokyo), I'll advise further...
12-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #444
Pentaxian

Merv, I can not wait to hear more about your L to P adapter, and how your Leica M and Leica T and Leica CL lenses work on your Pentax KP and K3ii cameras! Good luck!

Dave in Wisconsin USA
12-04-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #445
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't see how an M lens could ever work beyond macro on a Pentax body.
There is a HUGE difference in register.
It goes against the basic laws of physics.
I am afraid the only adapters (possibly also sold as Kipon) are a knock-off of the Leitax, that are fitted in place of the bayonet of R lenses.
The only M and LTM lenses that can be adapted are those for the Viso (via intermediate OUBIO ring) or those with separable optical kernel (using the specific Viso focusing barrel). In both cases the final adapter is an M>R one (Leitax'ed, either working at the lathe a standard/chinese one, or buying from Leitax a modified version).
Any other solution would never allow to reach infinity. Not even close.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 12-05-2018 at 12:26 AM.
12-04-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #446
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It goes against the basic law of physics.
I am afraid the only adapters (possibly also sold as Kipon) are a knock-off of the Leitax, that are fitted in place of the bayonet of R lenses.
The only M and LTM lenses that can be adapted are those for the Viso (via intermediate OUBIO ring) or those with separable optical kernel (with the specific Viso focusing barrel). In both cases the final adapter is an M>R one (Leitax'ed).

Well we'll find out soon enough....but i'm gonna try

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 05:27 PM ----------

It goes against the basic law of physics.
The only M and LTM lenses that can be adapted are those for the Viso (via intermediate OUBIO ring) or those with separable optical kernel (with the specific Viso focusing barrel). In both cases the final adapter is an M>R one (Leitax'ed).
Cyberjunkie: I was a Pentax fan for over a decade, but then got heavily into Leica (as you can see by the accumulation of lenses), but then I got the K-3ii and started to compare the results...I still thought that the Leica Algorythms produced better, more realistic detail, but the cost was becoming prohibitive. When the Leica M9 sensor failed and had to be replaced (4 months at Leica NJ) I started using Pentax more and more. I sold the K-3 ii and bought the K-1 ii, sold an old K-3 I traded for my old K-50 and bought the K-S2 as walk around street camera to replace the M9. Then two weeks ago, I picked up the KP for 697 with a free 18-55mm, sling bag & strap...The Kp is awesome.

So before I sell off my Leica M-Mount glass, I thought I would try and slap it on my Pentax K-mounts to see how they perform. I was buoyed by the excellent shots in this thread and the enthusiasm that Pentaxians have for Leica. In many ways, Pentax is the Leica of Japan DSLRs--they have a loyal small but steady market share, they're cameras are built 'old school solid, they sometimes are behind avant garde tech trends, yet the Tech inside is quite advanced and appreciated by their respective followers.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the relative incompatibility of the Leica M lenses, but I will report the results once compiled and allow the group to decide the quality of the pictures.
12-04-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #447
Pentaxian

Maybe your Leica glass will not focus at infinity. I currently have a few such lenses, and I am quite happy using them exclusively for my macro/close-up shooting. Nothing wrong with that because I shoots lots of closeups/macro and quite enjoy such shooting.
12-05-2018, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #448
Pentaxian

So before I sell off my Leica M-Mount glass, I thought I would try and slap it on my Pentax K-mounts to see how they perform. I was buoyed by the excellent shots in this thread and the enthusiasm that Pentaxians have for Leica. In many ways, Pentax is the Leica of Japan DSLRs--they have a loyal small but steady market share, they're cameras are built 'old school solid, they sometimes are behind avant garde tech trends, yet the Tech inside is quite advanced and appreciated by their respective followers.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the relative incompatibility of the Leica M lenses, but I will report the results once compiled and allow the group to decide the quality of the pictures.
I guess you're right. There is something Leica-esque in the Pentax approach!
Both have a small, loyal number of followers, and have an history of very high build standards.
I still have my old M5 and CL film cameras, but I have just a couple lenses left, of scarce commercial value.
I am afraid I should have sold the camera bodies long ago, as I don't shoot film anymore and the prices are falling... but I couldn't help myself. I love both cameras, and I love the quality of Leitz (now Leica) lenses.

If you bought the right adapter (for M mount, not R) maybe you will find the focusing restrictions too limiting. It would probably depend on what and how you shoot. Fortunately, if you ever decide to sell your Leica glass, there would be many full frame mirrorless shooters interested in your lenses.
Before the Sony A7 Leica M objectives were not as popular and expensive.
In the end, whatever your choice, your investment has kept its value much better than mine. Not so bad, isn't it?
12-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #449
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you're right. There is something Leica-esque in the Pentax approach!
Both have a small, loyal number of followers, and have an history of very high build standards.
I still have my old M5 and CL film cameras, but I have just a couple lenses left, of scarce commercial value.
I am afraid I should have sold the camera bodies long ago, as I don't shoot film anymore and the prices are falling... but I couldn't help myself. I love both cameras, and I love the quality of Leitz (now Leica) lenses.

If you bought the right adapter (for M mount, not R) maybe you will find the focusing restrictions too limiting. It would probably depend on what and how you shoot. Fortunately, if you ever decide to sell your Leica glass, there would be many full frame mirrorless shooters interested in your lenses.
Before the Sony A7 Leica M objectives were not as popular and expensive.
In the end, whatever your choice, your investment has kept its value much better than mine. Not so bad, isn't it?
CyberJunkie: It's true...my Leica glass has kept its value....If your CL is in good condition, it can go for anywhere between 700-1400 (US) The CL (film) body can go from 300-900. These are 20-30 old cameras and they hold their value. The CL is a particular curiosity because it was a joint Leica Minolta project (similar to Panasonic and Leica today), yet the build quality was excellent.
12-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #450
Pentaxian

These are 20-30 old cameras and they hold their value. The CL is a particular curiosity because it was a joint Leica Minolta project (similar to Panasonic and Leica today), yet the build quality was excellent.
Yes, in fact my CL has a Minolta 40mm on it
It is a great little lens, and is widely believed to be a little better than the version marked with the Leitz brand.
I guess I would get almost as much as the original Leica one, if I decide to sell it.

I gave a good thought about the Leica M39/M stuff I still have, and I realised that the only OEM lenses left are the ones that can be used on the Pentax K-1 (which I will likely never sell).
Most Leitz lenses, even some old, simple designs that are not worth much in the used market, continue to surprise for their micro-contrast and overall clarity of the image, which makes them especially good for B/W.
After I saw how it performs on modern high res sensors, I decided to give up the idea of selling my Telyt 4/200mm for Viso, and I'm thinking of trying it on the K-1 along the Summicron 2/90 and the Elmarit 2.8/135mm. I already have the required OUBIO ring with tripod mount, and the PK adapter would be the same I use with the other two - far more prestigious - M objectives.

In the meantime... I still have to fit a Leitax knock-off on my one and only R lens: the old 4/100mm Macro.
I bought it after I saw the incredible pictures of reptiles and amphibians shot with the same lens by an australian nature photographer.
It blew my socks off. I immediately thought: I must have that lens!

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 12-06-2018 at 12:46 PM.