Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 344 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve, welcome to our little Pentax "Leica" group!

Converting 8 Leica R's to Pentax mount, great, can't wait to hear what you think of their performance on your K1.

04-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dshfoto Quote
This is the first time I have posted in this group. I just started two related projects. The first part of this involves converting all of my 8 Leica R lenses to Pentax K mount. I want to be able to shoot film, and digital with a optical view finder camera using the same lenses. Since Leica dropped the R optical finder with digital, I decided to convert all of my R lenses to the Pentax K mount. That way I shoot with a K1000 for film and a K1 for digital.
The second part of the project was to find a film that works well with Diafine. I just finished up a series of test shots with Kodak 5222 and my R 50mm f/1.4 Summilux. (It was still on the R6 at the time.)
The two shots are one full frame, and the second is a 8x10 section from the full frame. It seems like the 5222 has very small grain.
Just thought I would pass this along to the group.
Steve
Hello Steve,
I also converted some of my Leica lenses to PK Leitax mount one year and a half ago. I am very happy with the Pentax K-1, the best FF OVF DSLR camera, IMHO. I still have my Leica-R cameras (2xR8, R6, R4S2..) with some zoom lenses (80-200/4, 35-70/4).
What about shooting with K1000 compared to R6?
I prefer using Jules Steinmetz method with Tri-X for tonal, acutance and grain improvement...
thank you for sharing.
04-06-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello,

the last one of the trio.

Cambodia, Leica Summicron-R 50/2, 1/15s @ 2.8 with Leica R6, Tri-X @ ISO400, 2008. Digitalized with Pentax K-1.

I have loved this photo at first sight!
The woman look and the lighting are so great !
Very nice picture Teiki Arii
04-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #364
Veteran Member

Well, I've reviewed all shots in this thread...wow, this is another story...and a good one
Congrats guys, fantastic photos.

04-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Steve,
I also converted some of my Leica lenses to PK Leitax mount one year and a half ago. I am very happy with the Pentax K-1, the best FF OVF DSLR camera, IMHO. I still have my Leica-R cameras (2xR8, R6, R4S2..) with some zoom lenses (80-200/4, 35-70/4).
What about shooting with K1000 compared to R6?
I prefer using Jules Steinmetz method with Tri-X for tonal, acutance and grain improvement...
thank you for sharing.
I have not yet used the K1000 with R lenses. I did use it with a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 m42 mount, and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8, using Tri-X and Neopan 400. I plan to start using the two R lenses I just converted -- 50mm Summilux f/1.4 and the 60mm Macro-Elmarit f/2.8 -- this coming week. One thing is that K1000 seems to be much lighter to carry and shoot with. I also prefer the needle exposure meter to led dots. Here's a shot with the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8, Fuji Neo 400 developed with Diafine, scanned with the Imacon Scanner.
Thanks for the interest.

---------- Post added 04-06-18 at 11:31 AM ----------

Jules Steinmetz method with Tri-X
Not sure I know about this -- could you post a link to the Steinmetz method?
Thanks
Steve Harris
Attached Images

04-09-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #366
Veteran Member

Try translation softwares...

Méthode Jules Steinmetz développement Kodak Tri-X @400/D76

I) RÉVÉLATEUR D76 PUR (SANS DILUTION)
Je retourne la cuve environ 12 fois en continu les 30 premières secondes,
4 retournements en 10 secondes à 3 minutes 30,
4 retournements en 10 secondes à 6 minutes 40,
4 retournements en 10 secondes à 9 minutes 50, Arrêt à 12mn!

II) PAS DE BAIN D'ARRÊT!

III) FIXATEUR RAPIDE 3 à 4mn, retournements continus...

IV) LAVAGE 15mn!
1/ rinçage avec eau du robinet et deux ou trois gouttes d'agent mouillant (ou liquide à
vaisselle), retournements continus, deux minutes au moins,
2/ vider la cuve et la remplir avec l'eau de robinet, retournements continus pendant deux minutes, vider la cuve,
3/ phase 2/ à répéter 4 fois,
4/vider la cuve et la remplir avec l'eau distillée, retournements continus pendant deux minutes, vider la cuve,
5/ égoutter (avec mes doigts bien rincés) et suspendre dans un local sans courant d'air que j'ai humidifié une demi-heure avant.
04-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys! So excited!! just hammering out the final details for a deal on an old Summilux 80mm. (non-ROM, 3-blade) I've read everything I could find on the "Leitax" adapter. Got a couple of questions for you.

All of the info I find on the "cheaper chinese" adapters found on eBay seems to be quite a few years old - wondering if the opinions still hold? Any more-current info/updates? Still "ok"? better/worse? Or should I just not mess around & go direct to Leitax? (good to support actual folks doing all the hard work!)

Next Q - Leitax has a "auto-aperture simulation" model too - I haven't really seen any reviews/advice on this at all.... what's the general consensus? Any one using this ? Worth the extra $ - might as well get it while I'm at it? Or good for the "novelty factor" only?

Will be used in a "out of control" hobbyist/occasionally sell in small gallery scenario, and the likelyhood of portraiture / wedding type stuff is practically nil Let me know your thoughts / opinions on which adapter to order.

Thanks in advance!
~~Laurie

04-12-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did convert to a Leitax adapter on 2 R lenses (not the Lux 80). Also I think you may mean "3-cam" rather than "3-blade". the cams get removed in the conversion to the Leitax adapter. It was fairly straight forward.
Interesting article about using manual focus lenses at Manual Focusing with AF Camera System, which may give you some ideas about using the "auto-Aperture simulation" Model. (no experience with that one.) I opted for the regular style.
-- Steve Harris
04-12-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #369
Pentaxian

I have Leitax adapted the Leica 80 Lux. I would never use a Chinese adapter, only Leitax. I never use the "auto-aperture" Leitax model.
04-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #370
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the quick replies so far! That article was very well written. From what it looks like genuine "Leitax" sure seems the way to go. Still contemplating the "auto aperture" model. My first inclination is that it really does seem kind of "novel". But also considering that it could actually come in really handy for focusing - getting full-open light up to the viewfinder might be helpful "that one time you really need it."

It's been a couple years, but I've played around quite a bit with my old Pentax film lenses on my digital bodies. Pretty good understanding of what I'm up against in that area, thank goodness. Actually kinda missing it Looking quite forward to getting this all going.

Keep the wonderful advice coming.

thanks, yet again
~~Laurie
04-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
Hi guys! So excited!! just hammering out the final details for a deal on an old Summilux 80mm. (non-ROM, 3-blade) I've read everything I could find on the "Leitax" adapter. Got a couple of questions for you.

All of the info I find on the "cheaper chinese" adapters found on eBay seems to be quite a few years old - wondering if the opinions still hold? Any more-current info/updates? Still "ok"? better/worse? Or should I just not mess around & go direct to Leitax? (good to support actual folks doing all the hard work!)

Next Q - Leitax has a "auto-aperture simulation" model too - I haven't really seen any reviews/advice on this at all.... what's the general consensus? Any one using this ? Worth the extra $ - might as well get it while I'm at it? Or good for the "novelty factor" only?

Will be used in a "out of control" hobbyist/occasionally sell in small gallery scenario, and the likelyhood of portraiture / wedding type stuff is practically nil Let me know your thoughts / opinions on which adapter to order.

Thanks in advance!
~~Laurie

I purchased a couple of cheap mounts recently and I'm happy with the results, though I'm not too fussed about critical focus as they are on wider lenses used for landscapes. I'd imagine the genuine Leitax ones are made to tighter tolerances and better quality control given the difference in price. Just make sure you buy one that focusses to infinity if looking at the cheaper ones.
05-19-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #372
Veteran Member

Hello,
coming back from nowhere...

Napoli, Leica Elmarit-R 28/2.8(II) @ 1/40s, Iso800. K-1. Available light. Length crop.
05-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #373
Veteran Member

Hello,
coming back from nowhere...

Napoli, Leica Elmarit-R 28/2.8(II) @ 1/40s, Iso800. K-1. Available light. Length crop.
Wonderful portrait...this picture tells a story...
05-21-2018, 04:59 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Wonderful portrait...this picture tells a story...
Thank you. Yes, it does..
06-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #375
Veteran Member

Good evening,
today at Canet-en-Roussillon, France. Meeting Arena 2018.
Adam Peaty alias "The monster ". World champion and world recordman in breaststroke.

Adam Peaty , K-1 (MKII), Leica Apo-Telyt-R Modular 280/2.8 & Apo-Extender-X1.4, W.0.

Adam Peaty , K-1 (MKII), Leica Apo-Telyt-R Modular 280/2.8 & Apo-Extender-X1.4, W.0.

Last edited by teiki arii; 06-28-2018 at 04:53 AM.