Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2018, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #406
Veteran Member

Hello,

Sarah is a young french Soprano whose grandparents are german. Eleven years ago, she told me she wanted to be an opera singer. I had heard some records but was never able to see her on a stage. Yesterday night, the outside event was a complete success.
She is gorgeous. Hope she has an international career. She sang two weeks ago at cousin's mariage in Germany and impressed the guests.
Thank you for looking.

Soprano Sarah at recital yesterday night, K-1 II, Leica Apo-Asph-Summicron-R 90/2. 1/80s @ 1600Iso. Square format. LV mode, manual focus. Hand Held.

Soprano Sarah at recital yesterday night, K-1 II, Leica Apo-Asph-Summicron-R 90/2. 1/80s @ 1600Iso. Square format. LV mode, manual focus. Hand Held.

09-15-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #407

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great N&B Teiki !

Sum 80mm :

09-15-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #408
Veteran Member

I love yours I am unable to imitate...

In color of the same event...

Soprano Sarah at recital yesterday night, K-1 II, Leica Apo-Asph-Summicron-R 90/2. 1/100s @ 1600Iso. Square format. LV mode, manual focus. Hand Held.

Last edited by teiki arii; 09-15-2018 at 01:42 PM.
09-15-2018, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #409

beautiful colors but I much prefer black and white

Always sum'80 :

09-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
beautiful colors but I much prefer black and white

Always sum'80 :

Well done Gedeon! That Sum'80 in your hands certainly produces magical colors. What aperture settings did you use on these street photos? I'd guess - f/5.6.
09-16-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #411

f1,8 / f2, all times
09-26-2018, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally got around to uploading a few shots with the Sumicron 50 f/2 and my K-1. Again with the stunning Leica colors.

10-05-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #413
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leitz Canada Elmarit M f/2.8 135mm

Leitz Canada Summicron M f/2 90mm

Both share the same Leitz helicoid that allowed to mount the lens head on a Visoflex II or III. The helicoid is fitted on a Leitz 14167 Viso => R adapter.
The latter has been leitax'ed using a generic six screws chinese knock-off. Leitax provides a modified version of the bayonet specifically dedicated to the 14167. The chinese clone had to be machined to fit.
The only downside is the short throw of the helicoid. Barely acceptable with the Summicron, too short for the Elmarit. I could have used a thin extension ring in PK mount, but I found the original Leitz ring No. 16474 that was originally meant to allow close-up's with the Summicron mounted on the Viso helicoid. It's not very practical, but generally I know in advance what I am going to photograph, so I can choose to mount the ring beforehand or leave in in the bag...

The Summicron is one of the very few "magical" lenses that almost always surprise me with a beautiful mix of sharpness and (a touch of) gentle glow.
It fully deserves the Leica allure
The Elmarit is one of my best 135mm, a very good lens, though I didn't find it as outstanding as the Summicron.
Maybe I didn't have enough time, and I didn't shoot enough pictures to really "understand" and appreciate this lens.
Having said that, BOTH lenses are very good, and well worth the hassle of converting them to PK mount.
I have the 90mm only because of one reason. I had it from Leica time, and it just happened that I didn't sell it
After I had done the conversion, I realised that the same mechanics could be used with the Elmarit 135mm (the one with the goggles ).
I waited till I found one at an affordable price (it's way cheaper than the Summicron), and I bought it.
It took a lot of brute force to unscrew the lens head from the barrel. Probably it had never been unscrewed in all its life, so the threads had started to oxidise.
The picture of the flowers show its biggest shortcoming: LoCA. In that specific image I actually like the way it looks...

Just bought (by mistake... I goofed with a sniping tool for Ebay) my first R lens: Macro-Elmar-R f4 100mm.
It's on its way now, and in the meantime I purchased two more chinese copies of the Leitax bayonet. Some vendors still have them, others don't, not so sure that whoever made them will machine another batch

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-05-2018 at 05:41 AM.
10-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #414
Pentaxian

Nice photos.

I don't believe anyone's posted yet photos taken with a Leica 100mm f/4 R lens on a K1. Really look forward to seeing that combination.
10-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I don't believe anyone's posted yet photos taken with a Leica 100mm f/4 R lens on a K1. Really look forward to seeing that combination.
I think it's waiting in my P.O. box
Unfortunately I have to wait for the bayonet coming from China. It will take a while...

I know you have some Zeiss glasses leitax'ed. Do you have/use Leitz lenses too?

cheers

Paolo
10-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I think it's waiting in my P.O. box
Unfortunately I have to wait for the bayonet coming from China. It will take a while...

I know you have some Zeiss glasses leitax'ed. Do you have/use Leitz lenses too?

cheers

Paolo
I own dozens of lens. They are all manual focus, prime lens. Most are either adapted Zeiss ZF or adapted Leica R lenses.

I only use Leitax adapters on them. I've tried other adapters, but I believe the premium quality of Leitax adapters are worth paying for.

I have removed all of the R to K adapters from my Leica R lenses (50/2, 80/1.4, 135/2.8, 180/2.8) and in the future will only be using them on my Fuji X-T2 camera. I've been a Fuji shooter for many years. I really like what the latest Fuji X APS-C cameras have to offer. Their 4K video is outstanding, especially with Leica glass!!!
10-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #417
Pentaxian

I have removed all of the R to K adapters from my Leica R lenses (50/2, 80/1.4, 135/2.8, 180/2.8) and in the future will only be using them on my Fuji X-T2 camera. I've been a Fuji shooter for many years. I really like what the latest Fuji X APS-C cameras have to offer. Their 4K video is outstanding, especially with Leica glass!!!
I'm not interested in video, at least at the moment. So I'm fine with the K-1.
I might purchase a Sony FF to use short register optics, or the M42 ones that have light leaks with infinity M42 adapters.
I guess I have to sell a few lenses if I want to finance some new purchases cause I've already spent too much for this hobby.
I don't sell a lens since long time and the number of the little critters has grown beyond control.
I see that you go for high quality MF primes, with an eye on bokeh, but also plenty sharp.
I have a kind of twisted approach, can't refrain buying lenses based on collector's motivations, like rarity or a particular build characteristic.
Maybe I should follow your example, aiming my acquisitions according to a "user" point of view, leaving out other considerations.

My compliments, I envy you a little bit for all the top optics you had the chance to test.
Well... I guess it depends also on personal tastes. While you were chasing Zeiss glasses I went the soft focus route, acquiring every soft focus lens ever made by Pentax, the Tamron zoom, and a substantial amount of similar stuff for portrait use
10-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I'm not interested in video, at least at the moment. So I'm fine with the K-1.
I might purchase a Sony FF to use short register optics, or the M42 ones that have light leaks with infinity M42 adapters.
I guess I have to sell a few lenses if I want to finance some new purchases cause I've already spent too much for this hobby.
I don't sell a lens since long time and the number of the little critters has grown beyond control.
I see that you go for high quality MF primes, with an eye on bokeh, but also plenty sharp.
I have a kind of twisted approach, can't refrain buying lenses based on collector's motivations, like rarity or a particular build characteristic.
Maybe I should follow your example, aiming my acquisitions according to a "user" point of view, leaving out other considerations.

My compliments, I envy you a little bit for all the top optics you had the chance to test.
Well... I guess it depends also on personal tastes. While you were chasing Zeiss glasses I went the soft focus route, acquiring every soft focus lens ever made by Pentax, the Tamron zoom, and a substantial amount of similar stuff for portrait use
Cyberjunkie, my lens quest is now over. After having tried and tested hundreds of different lenses, I've finally settled on a few lenses that give me exactly what I want. Sharpness is not what I want. Subject isolation, 3D pop, and outstanding bokeh (to my eye) is what I care about. Indeed, some of my "chosen" lenses are very expensive (Leica r 80mm Summilux) while other cost only a few dollars. The quest was not to put together a collection of expensive lenses, but rather to assemble a group of lenses that produce images that are the ultimate exptression of my style of photography.

Cyberjunkie, it sounds like your quest for your ideal lenses is not yet over. It may take you several more years. But in the end, you too will find the lenses that move you, lenses that you will love more than any other object in your life. Good luck on your quest Cyberjunky; enjoy the ride!
10-06-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #419
Pentaxian

Cyberjunkie, it sounds like your quest for your ideal lenses is not yet over. It may take you several more years. But in the end, you too will find the lenses that move you, lenses that you will love more than any other object in your life. Good luck on your quest Cyberjunky; enjoy the ride!
Hahaha, I'm afraid it's a never ending quest.
I'm not just a lens enthusiast, I'm also a collector. I collected large format lenses before going digital-only. Now I don't buy them anymore cause I like to actually try the optics I buy. I have no darkroom anymore cause I moved abroad, so I gave up bellows cameras.
I already had a number of nice Pentax lenses since the late seventies/eighties, including a few A Star's (my favourites), but the number has increased a lot in the last ten years. A few hundreds.
Most have an historical or practical value, or simply I like them for the way they are built.
Trying them I found that I have a strong liking for some very cheap optics, while others are more expensive. There is no rule.
I pixel peep sometimes, mostly just for curiosity, but the quality I appreciate the most is not extreme sharpness. Let's say that from what I understand we have similar tastes...
I like to take portraits. and I like "portrait lenses". Unfortunately I can't post most pictures for privacy reasons.
Mostly I post flowers, cause it's a subject that allows to "shoot for bokeh" and is also a subject not too dissimilar from a portrait of a human being.

I used to have many lenses (also for work, long ago), but I sold them if I had a good reason to do so.
Since I've started collecting them, I practically stopped selling. Each one was acquired for a specific reason, so I find extremely difficult to let them go.
Must be a strange illness

EDIT:
along with Zeiss and Leica lenses, did you ever try to leitax a Zuiko OM?
I am not a connoisseur, but I remember some of them were highly praised at the time.
My personal guess is that the macros should be worth trying. I have no personal experience, though.
Olympus also made incredibly small lenses of very high quality, that today could meet the needs of nature photographers who trek long distances with a backpack. I have just seen on sale a very small 200mm f/5. It has a rather complex optical design (6-elements).
In film times it was too slow in many conditions, now it could be a nice, very cheap solution to keep the bag small.
It's a real pity that Leitax rings leave the innards of the lens exposed. I don't mind to blacken the shiny surfaces, I'm afraid that the lens would eat plenty of dust...

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-06-2018 at 09:52 AM.
10-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #420
Forum Member

After having tried and tested hundreds of different lenses, I've finally settled on a few lenses that give me exactly what I want.
@Fenwoodian - which lenses did you decide on?