Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 344 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by englishphotographer Quote
@Fenwoodian - which lenses did you decide on?
I don't have the time to rank them. let alone list them all.

However, I will list my all time favorite lens. I used it today in a head to head shoot out against four of my other favorite lenses in it's focal length. My favorite lens produced incredible images that were much better than the runners up. The lens that I am referrring to is my "desert island lens", the Leica R 80mm f/1.4 Summilux.

An OK/user copy will cost $2,000 USD plus the Leitax conversion to Pentax K mount ($200 USD). I've seen near mint copies go for around $5,000. However, in this case, the lens is so far above my other lenses, that if all of my other lenses were stolen, I'd be happy shooting only the 80 Lux for the rest of my life.

What appeals to me about this lens is its': incomparable bokeh at f/1.4, and Leica colors. It certainly is not a "perfect lens" as it's contrast is lowish at 1.4, it produces halos at 1.4, and it's sharpness is barely acceptable at f/1.4. BUT if you are into turning your background blur into an oil painting and having your subject pop off the screen with 3D like depth, shooting this lens wide open does it the best of all the lenses I've ever used.

Some here in this group like to shoot this lens at f/2 and f/2.8 to eliminate the halos and improve sharpness/contrast. I too will occasionally do that for my more distant subjects. However, for the ultimate in subject isolation with a subject that's 5 to 20 feet away, shoot the 80 Lux wide open.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
10-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #422
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I don't have the time to rank them. let alone list them all.

However, I will list my all time favorite lens. I used it today in a head to head shoot out against four of my other favorite lenses in it's focal length. My favorite lens produced incredible images that were much better than the runners up. The lens that I am referrring to is my "desert island lens", the Leica R 80mm f/1.4 Summilux.

An OK/user copy will cost $2,000 USD plus the Leitax conversion to Pentax K mount ($200 USD). I've seen near mint copies go for around $5,000. However, in this case, the lens is so far above my other lenses, that if all of my other lenses were stolen, I'd be happy shooting only the 80 Lux for the rest of my life.

What appeals to me about this lens is its': incomparable bokeh at f/1.4, and Leica colors. It certainly is not a "perfect lens" as it's contrast is lowish at 1.4, it produces halos at 1.4, and it's sharpness is barely acceptable at f/1.4. BUT if you are into turning your background blur into an oil painting and having your subject pop off the screen with 3D like depth, shooting this lens wide open does it the best of all the lenses I've ever used.

Some here in this group like to shoot this lens at f/2 and f/2.8 to eliminate the halos and improve sharpness/contrast. I too will occasionally do that for my more distant subjects. However, for the ultimate in subject isolation with a subject that's 5 to 20 feet away, shoot the 80 Lux wide open.
Ha! Favourite three under a grand? I hadn't heard of the 80mm Leica but you're right; the results look amazing :-)
10-10-2018, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #423
Pentaxian

OK. In no particular order:

# Zeiss ZF 35mm f/1.4 "Classic" version
# Toss up between Meyer-Optic Gerlitz Primoplan and Trioplan (preferrably the newest versions)
# Leica R 50mm Summicron

I also have lots of Frankenstein lenses that I just love, but because they can not be purchased off the shelf I won't bother to list them.
10-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #424
Forum Member

OK. In no particular order:

# Zeiss ZF 35mm f/1.4 "Classic" version
# Toss up between Meyer-Optic Gerlitz Primoplan and Trioplan (preferrably the newest versions)
# Leica R 50mm Summicron

I also have lots of Frankenstein lenses that I just love, but because they can not be purchased off the shelf I won't bother to list them.
Thanks!

10-11-2018, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #425
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Similar tastes here...
I love both the Primoplan and the Trioplan!
Of course, given my appreciation for vintage optics, I have the original versions of both.
I prefer the Trioplan 100mm to the 50mm version, cause if you want soap bubble bokeh, better go for the big ones
I've used a lot the 100mm N (black barrel) that was available only in Exakta mount. I converted it to PK.
The old version in M42 mount is still without diaphragm leaves. We opened a couple of Meyer lenses with 15 leaves but the shape was different.
I have another chance left... after that I have no more resources. It wouldn't be a disaster cause it's a lens that gives its best wide open.
The Primoplan is one of the worst sealed lenses ever. Most examples have been cleaned, or show some kind of mold/fungus.
Mine cleaned up nicely, and now looks like new. I can't complain.

I am very curious about the new "copies".
As far as I know the optical design is the same, but I guess the optical glass is not identical.
The Trioplan 50mm has a nice touch: a ring that moves the front glass. Other triplets of the past focused the same way. The new Trioplan uses the same trick to affect the correction of the optical design, allowing for a certain degree of softness. At least this is what I understand. Am I right?
10-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
As no one else here has done it yet, I find it a great pleasure to start the Leica Lens Club. Leica as one of the greatest optic manufacturer should have a separate thread showcasing photos made with its lenses.

I will start with two B&W photos made with the first version of Leica R Summicron 50mm f/2. These photos though technically imperfect are two of my favourite B&W photos and I start this thread with them as a tribute to James (Roentarre) who lent me his lens and started the Leica fever

Memories of the old

In the shadow of the silhouette

Two days ago my Leitax adapter arrived and I installed it on my newly acquired Leica R Summicron 50mm (single cam).

Yesterday I decided to take it for a ride, nothing fancy just a few shots to check colors and resolution.

The shots posted bellow are not intended to be artistic. Also there is no post processing of any kind, just export from RAW. All photos are taken at f/5.6. Under each photo I provided the link to the original size and I urge you to have a look at it just to have an idea of the sheer corner and center resolution as well as the stunning contrast and colors this lens provides.

Full size image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/4102135627_b696ed0878_o.jpg

Full size image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/4102139173_87dbc301a6_o.jpg

Full size image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/4102899814_c56c0f7a3f_o.jpg

Full size image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/4102903776_9806f33a76_o.jpg

Here is a link to the full size photo taken with Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 @f/5.6
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/4102177091_a8d024ea35_o.jpg

I'm impressed by the astonishing center and corner sharpness of the Leica Summicron 50mm f/2. I also find the colors and contrast very pleasing.

I hope this thread continues with other peoples photos made with the great Leica lenses.

Thanks,

Voe

P.S. Almost forgot to mention that I focused using live view on my K7 and the focus is in the center.
I have a Leica M9 and have lots of Leica (and Voigtlander) glass....what adapter do you recommend to attach Leica M-Mount lenses to Pentax K-1 ii or the K-S2?
10-11-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #427
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I have a Leica M9 and have lots of Leica (and Voigtlander) glass....what adapter do you recommend to attach Leica M-Mount lenses to Pentax K-1 ii or the K-S2?
The only ones that can be adapted are those for Visoflex, and the few M lenses that have an optical kernel that can be unscrewed from the barrel (example: Summicron Canada 2/90mm and Elmarit Canada 2.8/135mm with "goggles").

10-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Similar tastes here...
I love both the Primoplan and the Trioplan!

I am very curious about the new "copies".
As far as I know the optical design is the same, but I guess the optical glass is not identical.
The Trioplan 50mm has a nice touch: a ring that moves the front glass. Other triplets of the past focused the same way. The new Trioplan uses the same trick to affect the correction of the optical design, allowing for a certain degree of softness. At least this is what I understand. Am I right?
Cyberjunkie, we both certainly do have very similiar tastes in lenses.

I used to own an old/original/silver/m42 version of the MOG Trioplan. I shot it on my K-1 camera. I ended up selling it to an Australian last year.

I have never owned the old version of the Primoplan. HOWEVER, I recently purchased a copy of the brand new version! It's in the Fuji X mount and I use it on my Fuji X-T2 camera.

This new Primoplan is exceedingly well build. I'd rate it's build characteristics up there with Zeiss/Leica/Voigtlander lenses. It has perfectly round aperture at all f-stops. Have not shot it enough to tell you how I think it compares to the Trioplan. My new Primoplan does have the soap bubble bokeh, and my initial reaction is that it produces images that appear to be sharper/clearer/cleaner than the images I got out of my old Trioplan lens. In fact, I'm using it as the main 50mm lens for my X-T2, because for non-backlight images with no specular highlights, it's bokeh and IQ is similar to a good modern 50mm lens. Where as, I would have never considered using my old Trioplan for anything but images with a soap bubble effect.

I believe that the new Primoplan originally sold for around $1,500 USD. I believe that the German company that makes them is now out of business. I tried to contact them to see if I might be able to purchase a K mount for my Primoplan, but I have received no answer from the company. Also, I'd read on the Internet that they are out of business. Anyway, I bought this lens in new condtion from a photographer in USA for just $500. I thought it was well worth it. Heck, all of the fancy packageing/keychain/lapel-pin, etc that came with the new Primoplan was way over the top. I've never seen a new lens come with such fancy packaging and promotional stuff.

Dave

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-11-2018 at 10:22 AM.
10-12-2018, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #429
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Regrettably M-mount lenses are not a viable option for Pentax K mount as the mount register of the M mount is very short. But the Leica R lenses can be adapted to Pentax with a Leitax lens adapter/mount. For more information please refer to Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
10-13-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #430

Dave, i've read someone (director maybe) in the "new" Meyer optics firm, is accidently deceased, and situation become complicated for them now.
10-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
Dave, i've read someone (director maybe) in the "new" Meyer optics firm, is accidently deceased, and situation become complicated for them now.
That's too bad. Thanks for sharing this information.

However, because the NEW/UPDATED MOG lenses are quite simple designs and manual focusing lenses, I am not worried about any troubles this company may be going through. If these new MOG lenses were complicated auto-focus lenses, maybe I'd be more concerned about their troubles, because if an auto focus lens fails, it's so much harder to repair them. If a manual focus lens fails, I can usually fix it myself.

Dave
10-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
It's a fake information.
10-29-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One with the Sumicron 50 (from Fenwoodian) and the K-1 while I was on vacation the past couple of weeks.

11-17-2018, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #434

with the magic sum

11-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #435
Pentaxian

Lovely colors and background blur. That Leica R 50/1.4 is certainly a unique and very special lens.

Did you take these lovely photos with a Pentax K-1? At f/2 ?

Regards,
Dave in Wisconsin USA