Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #1531
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
LOL... I don't find HDR particularly annoying when it's used this way (mostly to extend color and detail into both the shadows and highlights). It's the massively tone-mapped ones that drive me crazy. Nice images there. I like 'em.
Thanks, I appreciate it. In a world where HDR is either sycophantically practiced and adored or sneered at and hated, it's nice to be able to find some balance.

07-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #1532
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote

I indulged in some HDR yesterday. HDR is like soda pop. It's best to avoid regular indulgence, but now and then, it can be fun.
Finally, an HDR image that doesn't look like some tacky, glow in the dark acrylic paint over black velvet surface. Nicely done!

QuoteQuote:

(sorry about my shadow in the photo. It was unavoidable.)
Why, it's called a self-portrait.

Thanks,
07-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #1533
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, I appreciate it. In a world where HDR is either sycophantically practiced and adored or sneered at and hated, it's nice to be able to find some balance.
I don't believe that HDR is really hated at all. it is just the matter on how it is or how much is applied on the image. in other words, appropriation of HDR use. of course, people are free to do what they want, but not without criticism.
07-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #1534
Inactive Account

it is interesting flare. this tipical features or bug

07-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #1535
BO.

Photos: Albums
sigma 10-20\3.5
thanks for the lens Ubuntu_user!
The first shot.

07-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #1536
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BO. Quote
sigma 10-20\3.5
thanks for the lens Ubuntu_user!
The first shot.
Did your feet get wet in the process of taking that shot?
07-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #1537
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
philbaum:
We;ll miss you. Hopefully you'll stop back now and again. Best wishes!
Hi Phil! Somehow I originally missed this--sorry. Thank you so much for the well wishes. Best!

07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #1538
Veteran Member

Joining this club - my new 10-20mm is hopefully shipped tomorrow and (please, please, please) will make it before I am leaving for vacation in Florida on Saturday...

Had a terrible case of LBA since I upgraded my K-x to a K-5 a few months ago. The 10-20 was on my list for sometime later (I have already spent way to much), but when I saw it on sale I just could not help myself and jumped immediately. I will surely not regret it!!!
07-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #1539
Veteran Member

I have a lot of fun with this lens. I also discovered this weekend that it's great for video.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #1540

Spent this weekend over in Owens Valley, cutting across the Tioga Pass in Yosemite to get there, and then coming back around through the Mojave.

First couple attachments are from Tioga Pass, middle two are from Bodie, and the last is the soul consoling tower (obelisk) at Manzanar.
Attached Images

07-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #1541
BO.

QuoteOriginally posted by jhd Quote
did your feet get wet in the process of taking that shot?
смотрите на фото, видно мою тень.
Я стою высоко, на водокачке.
Мои ноги сухие.
07-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #1542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Finally, an HDR image that doesn't look like some tacky, glow in the dark acrylic paint over black velvet surface. Nicely done!

Why, it's called a self-portrait.

Thanks,
Thank you - I appreciate it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't believe that HDR is really hated at all. it is just the matter on how it is or how much is applied on the image. in other words, appropriation of HDR use. of course, people are free to do what they want, but not without criticism.
This is an important point. I think the next time I execute an HDR image, I'll try to keep it subtle and see if anyone notices.

Last edited by Designosophy; 07-05-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: avoid double-post
07-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #1543
Veteran Member

Thank you - I appreciate it!

This is an important point. I think the next time I execute an HDR image, I'll try to keep it subtle and see if anyone notices.
I've found with the K-5 that I can get away with two bracketed shots for HDR, although you can only autobracket three. I've got a user mode set up for it, and usually I keep the saturation down and the "glow" tight, and nobody notices.

With a little bit of experimentation, I found that I can replicate this (obviously HDR) image with just one exposure (using a K-5). If you roll the saturation down just a bit, it looks just like what I saw:

07-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #1544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I've found with the K-5 that I can get away with two bracketed shots for HDR, although you can only autobracket three. I've got a user mode set up for it, and usually I keep the saturation down and the "glow" tight, and nobody notices.

With a little bit of experimentation, I found that I can replicate this (obviously HDR) image with just one exposure (using a K-5). If you roll the saturation down just a bit, it looks just like what I saw:

This is the type of photo I'd like to create. It's not obvious to me that it is multi-shot HDR. If you had said it was one shot with fill light pushed in PP, I would have believed you. You really can pull some incredible details out of shadows with the K-5.
07-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #1545
Veteran Member

This is the type of photo I'd like to create. It's not obvious to me that it is multi-shot HDR. If you had said it was one shot with fill light pushed in PP, I would have believed you. You really can pull some incredible details out of shadows with the K-5.
Yeah, this was my test; I took the middle exposure from the K-5 bracket and adjusted it, and got it to look *exactly* like this. I'm not sure that will work in bright sunlight, but it certainly does in situations like this, where you're reaching for shadow detail.