Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #2236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
I recently purchased this lens (the f3.5 variant) for $420 on eBay and am now in the market for a CPL filter. When I see some examples with CPLs, I notice little to no vignetting at 10mm. Would I be safe in purchasing a B+W slim CPL filter for this? Or could someone recommend me anything else?
Welcome to the club! I use a regular thickness linear polarizer with my 10-20. It was an experiment because it was a lot less expensive than a thin filter, never mind a thin CPL. I have been pleasantly pleased with the results (all the pictures in my earlier post here were shot with a LPL in conjunction with other filters). It must be said that I also use a protective UV filter all the time, and use a LPL over that. There will be vignetting in the wide end of the range, and I just account for it when framing my shots, then crop out the vignetting, or clone it out.

One thing to be alert to is that the front lens element is at risk of touching the filter (on my sample, anyway) if the filter is screwed down snugly. I created a shim with heavy-duty thread placed in the UV filter thread "valley" to prevent it being snugged too far down toward the lens.

Eventually I suppose I'll buy a thin CPL polarizer, though I'm not sure how much better my pictures will be with it than with the Tiffen LPL I use now.

05-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #2237

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Welcome to the club! I use a regular thickness linear polarizer with my 10-20. It was an experiment because it was a lot less expensive than a thin filter, never mind a thin CPL. I have been pleasantly pleased with the results (all the pictures in my earlier post here were shot with a LPL in conjunction with other filters). It must be said that I also use a protective UV filter all the time, and use a LPL over that. There will be vignetting in the wide end of the range, and I just account for it when framing my shots, then crop out the vignetting, or clone it out.

One thing to be alert to is that the front lens element is at risk of touching the filter (on my sample, anyway) if the filter is screwed down snugly. I created a shim with heavy-duty thread placed in the UV filter thread "valley" to prevent it being snugged too far down toward the lens.

Eventually I suppose I'll buy a thin CPL polarizer, though I'm not sure how much better my pictures will be with it than with the Tiffen LPL I use now.
Tamia, are you using the polarizer at 10mm to make the skies bluer? I've read from somewhere that it is not recommended as the polarizing effect would not be even throughout the sky because of the wide angle of view. What were your experiences on these? I'm not sure though if it applies to LPL, but what I've read seem to refer to CPLs. Thanks!
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #2238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
Tamia, are you using the polarizer at 10mm to make the skies bluer? I've read from somewhere that it is not recommended as the polarizing effect would not be even throughout the sky because of the wide angle of view. What were your experiences on these? I'm not sure though if it applies to LPL, but what I've read seem to refer to CPLs. Thanks!
Not any more. There was a time back in film days when I had a polarizer on my wide-angle lens all the time, but now I use one much more selectively, primarily when I want to reduce glare on water or obliterate reflections on water, and also to darken a scene so I can take a shot with a slower shutter speed (in effect, using it like a ND filter), such as when blurring water's movement.

Even without a polarizer, though, at 10mm I find that there is a gradient effect in the sky. In other words, the blue is darker nearer the edges. You can see it in the following two photos, the first shot in winter, and the second one today. No cropping on either one, and no polarizer. Resized and reduced for the web, some tweaks to curves and contrast. No sharpening.

Maple Tree Portrait

Spring Hills

05-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #2239
Pentaxian

Not any more. There was a time back in film days when I had a polarizer on my wide-angle lens all the time, but now I use one much more selectively, primarily when I want to reduce glare on water or obliterate reflections on water, and also to darken a scene so I can take a shot with a slower shutter speed (in effect, using it like a ND filter), such as when blurring water's movement.

Even without a polarizer, though, at 10mm I find that there is a gradient effect in the sky. In other words, the blue is darker nearer the edges. You can see it in the following two photos, the first shot in winter, and the second one today. No cropping on either one, and no polarizer. Resized and reduced for the web, some tweaks to curves and contrast. No sharpening.

Maple Tree Portrait

Spring Hills
I have the same sentiments with you Tamia.
Now I don't use CPL anymore. I find this lens when shot with blue sky, I got the gradients of the blue, darker on top.

Maple Tree Portrait is nice.

05-11-2012, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #2240
Pentaxian

A sunset sot with this lens.

05-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #2241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Ken. I particularly like that maple tree and am trying to capture it through the seasons. Lovely sunset of yours, as usual. Makes me want to see that part of the world.

Wildflowers are blooming here now. This is white trillium. I was as close as the focus would allow:

05-15-2012, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2242

Photos: Albums
Some shots i took on the lens...

05-15-2012, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #2243
Inactive Account

Today at Smith Rock

I wanted to see a wider view of Smith Rock. @10mm
Joe
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #2244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grahf, lovely photos. I especially like the first one. Rodin, your shot of Smith Rock is terrific. Love the colors.
05-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #2245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the pictures below are cross posted with the Project Urban Decay thread...

This is just a small shack I found in the woods, but it's a mystery. The only reason I found it was that an antenna rose above the trees, and I saw it from a clearing. Wondered what it was, and came on this:

Radio Shack 1 I labeled my pictures "radio shack," but really, I don't know what this place was used for.

Radio Shack 2 10mm makes the place look a lot bigger than it was.

Radio Shack 3

Radio Shack 4

Radio Shack 5

Radio Shack 6

Radio Shack 7 This is a crop from the previous picture, to show the antenna in case it's a clue as to the purpose of this building.

05-16-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #2246

Grahf, lovely photos. I especially like the first one. Rodin, your shot of Smith Rock is terrific. Love the colors.
Thank you for your kind words.

Here's another one, shot out my window this morning..

05-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #2247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahf23 Quote
Thank you for your kind words.

Here's another one, shot out my window this morning..

SNOW! Brrrr. Beautiful view there.
05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #2248

Thanks for your reply, Tamia. After your comment here, I have decided to skip the CPL for now and just go with a UV filter for protection. Although I might visit the CPL a bit later as I've been eyeing the B+W Kaesemann CPL (unfortunately- or fortunately for me since it'd deter me from buying it on impulse- it's stupidly expensive).

Some of the photos I've seen here truly inspires me to go out and use this lens.
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #2249
Inactive Account

Thanks Tamia,
It is a very beautiful place, especially when the sun comes up and gives the rocks a golden glow.
Joe
05-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #2250

Photos: Gallery

Maple Tree Portrait

Spring Hills
Tamia - Love that Maple Tree in snow and that second shot of the hills. Seems you live very close to nature.

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
A sunset sot with this lens.

Beautiful sunset shot as usual Ken!

QuoteOriginally posted by grahf23 Quote
Some shots i took on the lens...

Very nice! Where are these? Singapore?

QuoteOriginally posted by rodin5 Quote
I wanted to see a wider view of Smith Rock. @10mm
Joe
I am loving the light and shadow interplay on this one Rodin! Great shot!

Most of the pictures below are cross posted with the Project Urban Decay thread...

This is just a small shack I found in the woods, but it's a mystery. The only reason I found it was that an antenna rose above the trees, and I saw it from a clearing. Wondered what it was, and came on this:

Radio Shack 1 I labeled my pictures "radio shack," but really, I don't know what this place was used for.

Radio Shack 2 10mm makes the place look a lot bigger than it was.

Radio Shack 3

Radio Shack 4

Radio Shack 5

Radio Shack 6

Radio Shack 7 This is a crop from the previous picture, to show the antenna in case it's a clue as to the purpose of this building.
Great edgy stuff particularly number 6 shot of the window!