Photos: Gallery | Albums
And here are four shots from the old version to keep things going:

BR
Peter

02-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Guys, anybody know how does the old (4-5.6) version compare to the f3.5 version optically? (shrpness!)

TIA
Peter
Peter, according to photozone, there's no difference when it comes to sharpness. I think it's a matter of needing a constant aperture speed of f3.5 at the 20mm end.
02-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Peter, according to photozone, there's no difference when it comes to sharpness. I think it's a matter of needing a constant aperture speed of f3.5 at the 20mm end.
According to photozone, at 10mm, the newer lens produces in the corners a "mushy blur." The review hasn't mentioned the curvature of field (photozone/Klaus does seem to pay attention to this sometimes)...
02-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #259
Veteran Member

Great shots guys - this lens is top of my wishlist - I have the 10-17mm fisheye but I'm preferring these images - I think I'll sell it to get some money together for this.

02-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #260
Forum Member

G'day
What fantastic shots here. I have this lens but not used it to the best of its ability and after looking at these photo's I will be out with it tomorrow. No where does anyone mention if they used a tripod. Did anyone use one? I am new to this forum and loving it. Thanks. Will post some eventually when I feel they are up these standards.
02-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #261
axl
Veteran Member

I used tripod for very few shots. I'd say 9 out of 10 are handheld though.
Good thing is that at 10mm you only need f5.6 for DOF between
0.5m and infinity. So it leaves plenty of light for handholding.
BR
Peter
02-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I used tripod for very few shots. I'd say 9 out of 10 are handheld though.
Good thing is that at 10mm you only need f5.6 for DOF between
0.5m and infinity. So it leaves plenty of light for handholding.
BR
Peter
Peter - very nice shots, like the street flavor very much! I see you don't have much perspective distortion in your images - do you make a real effort to keep the lens horizontal to the ground or do you use software to correct?

BubblesT - I use a tripod 80% of the time, but for Peter's street shots, handheld makes much more sense.

REgards field curvature. Read this article by "Chambers" guy who said that to tell whether softness was due to field curvature, manually adjust the focus. If the mushiness goes away on the border but then appears in the center. its field curvature and all lens have it to some degree. Also, a slight amount of misfocus can drastically increase field curvature problems. I've wondered since i read the article, how many good lenses have been lost to unfounded accusations of softness when its just field curvature. His advice: get to know a specific lens and what are the problem situations for it. Real life testing is the best - almost an exact quote.

Phil

02-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #263
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Peter - very nice shots, like the street flavor very much! I see you don't have much perspective distortion in your images - do you make a real effort to keep the lens horizontal to the ground or do you use software to correct?

...snip....
Phil
Thanks Phil.

With my architecture shots I do try to keep the lens horizontally as much as possible, but for some shots I use software. Mainly the perspective and distort functions in Photoshop's edit>transform menu.

For example in the last series, the first two shots are didn't have any software correction (2nd is bit cropped though). In third shot I used little bit of the edit>transform>distort function to straighten the far wall a bit. Couldn't do more or I'd have to crop off the leg (next time I'll have to be more careful with framing, but since I walk past this fountain every day or so on my way to work I'll have plenty of opportunities to reshoot it)

and the last shot of the musician getting ready is VERY heavy crop of image taken at 12mm. I'd say more than 50% crop so not much space for obvious distortion left

BR
Peter

Last edited by axl; 02-08-2010 at 03:06 PM.
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #264
Forum Member

Thanks for the info I will have a go with and without. My hands do shake naturally.
Cheers
T
02-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #265
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
bubblesT: G'day
What fantastic shots here. I have this lens but not used it to the best of its ability and after looking at these photo's I will be out with it tomorrow. No where does anyone mention if they used a tripod. Did anyone use one? I am new to this forum and loving it. Thanks. Will post some eventually when I feel they are up these standards.
Welcome to the forum--glad to hear you like it here. When I shoot landscapes with this lens, I use a tri-pod, even though I know I can usually handhold below a tenth of a second. When I shoot people or street shots, I handhold.
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #266
Veteran Member

I don't think I've used my tripod and this lens. its just so wide hand holding should be no problem. but considering I've been not too impressed with my "hyperfocal" images, perhaps its time to break out the gorrilla pod for some landscapes. This lens accounts for 27% of my images taken.
02-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #267
axl
Veteran Member

WAIT!

02-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #268
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
axl WAIT!
I like it Peter and suspect you did not need to bump ISO to compensate for subject movement.
02-10-2010, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #269
PFH
Veteran Member

K-7 and 10-20 f4-5,6
Attached Images

02-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread and for those who keep it going. I had relegated this lens to the backseat until this series caused me to go out and get closer with this lens.

10mm fl and F5.6. I may go back and try this one again at a smaller aperture as its a little soft away from the candle.