Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cb750r Quote
I don't think I've used my tripod and this lens. its just so wide hand holding should be no problem. but considering I've been not too impressed with my "hyperfocal" images, perhaps its time to break out the gorrilla pod for some landscapes. This lens accounts for 27% of my images taken.
That is odd. How are you setting up your hyperfocal settings?

02-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #272
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thank you to the OP for starting this thread and for those who keep it going. I had relegated this lens to the backseat until this series caused me to go out and get closer with this lens.

10mm fl and F5.6. I may go back and try this one again at a smaller aperture as its a little soft away from the candle.

Phil,

I really like it!
Almost like a painting. Very intriguing IMO.
Great great shot!

BR
Peter
02-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #273
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One more reason why I love this lens.
Attached Images

02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #274
Veteran Member

Nowhere as good as the shots posted here recently.. .but here goes!

02-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #275
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
philbaum: 10mm fl and F5.6. I may go back and try this one again at a smaller aperture as its a little soft away from the candle.
Phil, that is a cool shot--very creative!

Andi Lo, I like your 3rd image most.

PFH: Awesome perspective!

Here is a slice of Beantown, @ 10mm, f8, 250 ISO, 1/50th, handheld, little distortion correction w AE8 & B & W Linear Polarizer.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 07-30-2010 at 10:21 AM.
02-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #276
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I've come to bump the thread, rescuing it from "relative obscurity," as one of our posters in the Takumar club likes to say.
F10, 10mm, 1/50th,ISO 100, tri-pod, unfortunately, on this hike, I did not yet own a polarizer or ND grad

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 02-21-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add exif
02-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #277
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Well, let me tell you then. You have, in a nutshell, removed the stigma from the Sigma, which, unfortunately, accompanies it, IMHO, merely because it is such a fantastic bargain that many believe it too good to be true.

You have shown, as is the case with so many lenses out there, that the determination of how well a lens shoots is still in the hands of the photographer, not in the price of the lens. "A picture speaks a thousand words" how many pictures have you posted Axl, how many words.
Jewelltrail, I should thank you as well for translating so well my sentiment about axl and the related contibution!

02-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #278
Veteran Member

Great bump. If I can get out today, I will take mine out today.
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #279
Veteran Member

A couple of indoor shots.

Church of the Presidents, Quincy, MA. The ceiling is a very short (approx. 4 feet) dome that looks much taller when you are standing under it. Very difficult to capture the illusion with a camera. Since the son unit lives there I'll probably get other chances to try.

A really big vandegraaf generator @ the Boston Museum of Science. Hand-held-jammed-into-the-corner-between-wall/glass/handrail 7 second exposure.

Certainly not up to the standards set here, but I'm still learning to use this thing.
02-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #280
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nezih: Jewelltrail, I should thank you as well for translating so well my sentiment about axl and the related contibution!
Thank you! But, it was so easy to translate--Axl makes music with this hunk of glass. Ya know?

QuoteQuote:
jgredline: jgredline Great bump. If I can get out today, I will take mine out today.
Yes! Sure hope you made it out.
02-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #281
Veteran Member

Well, I did manage to get out for about an hour or so. I went to pick up some fresh strawberries at the farmers market down the street from my house. I decided to take the K-7 to test the new firmware Upgrade and of course the Sigma 10-20...Nothing great, but keeps the thread going.

It is a dark gloomy day...Really cold out at 60deg. Looks like more rain on the way.

Flowers

A couple of the regulars.

But this is my favorite stand.

Cash for berries

Way to stick that cam in there Amazing. I am so nonchalant, no one seems to notice me.
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #282
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
bimjo: A really big vandegraaf generator @ the Boston Museum of Science. Hand-held-jammed-into-the-corner-between-wall/glass/handrail 7 second exposure...............Certainly not up to the standards set here, but I'm still learning to use this thing.

Bimjo, do my eyes deceive me, or are you a Zen Buddhist monk who can simultaneously meditate and shoot a DSLR!!!!! Holy mackerel, are you saying you took a 7second exposure--HANDHELD??? You are correct, this is not up to the standards here; rather, it is up to Olympic standards though.

For that very difficult first shot you took, which is indoors, it is essential to bear in mind with UWA, you must keep the camera level, otherwise you introduce perspective distortion to the scene.
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Bimjo, do my eyes deceive me, or are you a Zen Buddhist monk who can simultaneously meditate and shoot a DSLR!!!!! Holy mackerel, are you saying you took a 7second exposure--HANDHELD??? You are correct, this is not up to the standards here; rather, it is up to Olympic standards though.

For that very difficult first shot you took, which is indoors, it is essential to bear in mind with UWA, you must keep the camera level, otherwise you introduce perspective distortion to the scene.
Not hardly, I was waaaayyyyy cheatin'!

I had my shoulder jammed up against the wall, both hands on a wooden handrail with the camera sitting on my hat on the rail & the lens hood jammed up against the glass panel in front of me. Seemed to work ok.

Yeah, I really need to remember to keep the camera level with the 10-20. Takes some getting used to.

Thanks for the comments & tip.
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #284
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jgredline: It is a dark gloomy day...Really cold out at 60deg. Looks like more rain on the way.
Oh really, well it is hard to feel bad for you. Let's just say, if we had a Farmers' Market here, it would be called the Frozen Farmers' Market.

QuoteQuote:
jgredline: Way to stick that cam in there Amazing. I am so nonchalant, no one seems to notice me.
You sure are--amazing how you transform UWA into people shooting--love the 2nd to last shot!
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #285
Veteran Member

Sigma should link to this thread from their corporate web site. Good job, guys.