Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3031
Veteran Member
dcBear78's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gladstone, QLD
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The only weakness of the Sigma, AFAICT, is that it tends to produce flare.
Flare? What flare?




That's right. Keep forgetting that is also one of the advantages the f/3.5 version has over the old one. Ok, Ok...There was actually one flare here. A tiny one near the tree on the left, obviously very easy to be dealt with. But still, it is shooting directly into the setting sun.

12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #3032
Veteran Member
nanhi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore, India
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 440
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Flare? What flare?




That's right. Keep forgetting that is also one of the advantages the f/3.5 version has over the old one. Ok, Ok...There was actually one flare here. A tiny one near the tree on the left, obviously very easy to be dealt with. But still, it is shooting directly into the setting sun.
Perfectly put dcBear78 Sir - What Flare?
The Sigma 10-20 is a superb lens. I read some 3-years ago on the internet about flare tests done on some 4-lenses using natural light, street lamps, neon signs, car headlamps etc, and the Sigma came out with flying colors.
This is the best lens for the money - period. Ofcourse every one will have their opinions, but I request you read up comparitive test results on the net.
And I am sorry for you if you have a bad copy - every lens has a manufacturing tolerance, and sometimes they go awry.
It takes some time to master and tame this lens - took me 5-months.
Happy shooting.
Regards.
12-09-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #3033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,219
Geebus, people, here I am making an overall very positive assessment of this lens, and people still feel the need to be aggressive despite that? There's even green flare visible in the last shot I posted above! dcBear78, you're not even shooting with the same model as I am, plus you admit you had flare in your shot...

FWIW, there was not a giant, iridescent fish in the water when I took this shot:




(The bottom rocks are simply OOF - I didn't have the tripod with me. BTW, I still love this multi-exposure shot!)

nanhi, I'm quite willing to and interested in reading this test you allude to if you care to be so kind as to provide a link. But reading comparative tests results - which I did a lot of before deciding to buy! - won't make the real flare in my real-world results, with a real lens, disappear. FWIW, my copy is otherwise fine and plenty sharp, and I love it. The color rendering is simply superb, IMHO, and I don't think it's a bad copy. Of course, claiming that makes it easy to discount other people's real world observations...
12-09-2013, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #3034
Senior Member
Fookus's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 134
Sigma 10 20 4.5



12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #3035
Veteran Member
nanhi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore, India
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 440
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Geebus, people, here I am making an overall very positive assessment of this lens, and people still feel the need to be aggressive despite that? There's even green flare visible in the last shot I posted above! dcBear78, you're not even shooting with the same model as I am, plus you admit you had flare in your shot...

FWIW, there was not a giant, iridescent fish in the water when I took this shot:




(The bottom rocks are simply OOF - I didn't have the tripod with me. BTW, I still love this multi-exposure shot!)

nanhi, I'm quite willing to and interested in reading this test you allude to if you care to be so kind as to provide a link. But reading comparative tests results - which I did a lot of before deciding to buy! - won't make the real flare in my real-world results, with a real lens, disappear. FWIW, my copy is otherwise fine and plenty sharp, and I love it. The color rendering is simply superb, IMHO, and I don't think it's a bad copy. Of course, claiming that makes it easy to discount other people's real world observations...
Doundounba Sir, I am unclear on your take on flare for the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC Lens. Do note, even the best lens in the world will demonstrate some flare if pointed to a bright light source. Only a comparitive testing demonstrates how much flare and what is acceptable.
As I said, I read the SWA Lens Flare Test some 3-years ago, but I will try to search for it. Xavier Guiterrez is an auyhority on this lens. Do Google.
I too get a color streak with my lens at certain angles to the sun - a rare phenomena, which I am told exists with SWA lenses. Also when this lens was released by Sigma, close to 50% had one problem or the other. Later Sigma tightened their Quality Assurance & Bench Test.
Regards.
12-09-2013, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3036
Veteran Member
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,949
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
*snip*
If it helps, the 3.5 flares as well if you're not careful. Its kind of hard NOT to get flare when you're shooting at an aperture that takes up half the sky.

In my experience, the hood is an absolute must-have to keep on the lens. It solves a bulk of the flaring issues that could crop up with the thing.

The nice thing is that just looking at the shots from it, you can tell flare could be so much worse if the lens wasn't built so well.

Flarrrrre... Then again, this was deliberately into the sun and stopped way, way down.


12-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3037
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,974
Has anyone taken any good photos exploiting the distortion inherent in ultra wide lens closeups? I don't recall seeing any on here, but I know I've taken a few here and there for fun, but only with my nikon version so I won't post them here. (closeup of a scrabble game, my dog's nose, a punch bowl, etc). I'd love to see a few from the very talented people here -- do you take requests?
12-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #3038
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 410
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Has anyone taken any good photos exploiting the distortion inherent in ultra wide lens closeups? I don't recall seeing any on here, but I know I've taken a few here and there for fun, but only with my nikon version so I won't post them here. (closeup of a scrabble game, my dog's nose, a punch bowl, etc). I'd love to see a few from the very talented people here -- do you take requests?
I'm certainly not one of the talented people here but I did post a close up of my dog Ernie a few pages ago. It's post #3010 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club-201.html#post2600567 I have a few where his nose is too close to the edge of the frame and it's hilariously elongated. Looks fine in the center of the frame though. He really does have that huge crook in his nose too. It's not particularly distorted by the lens.

12-14-2013, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #3039
Pentaxian
furryurry's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 779
x-posted
12-14-2013, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #3040
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,771
So in the end I went with the 4-5.6. Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing properly.


12-15-2013, 10:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3041
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,421
Cool shot and nice new lens!

I have taken a few shots in that exact spot with my 10-20mm f4.0-5.6





12-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #3042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 650
Both nice shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Cool shot and nice new lens!

I have taken a few shots in that exact spot with my 10-20mm f4.0-5.6





12-17-2013, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #3043
Veteran Member
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,949
So very cold... ugh. I hope this one was worth it...

EDIT: It was so blisteringly cold, I didn't even think to doublecheck the camera settings, and wound up only shooting in JPG. Made processing it a bit hairy, but I compensated as best I could I suppose.


12-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #3044
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,417
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
So very cold... ugh. I hope this one was worth it...

EDIT: It was so blisteringly cold, I didn't even think to doublecheck the camera settings, and wound up only shooting in JPG. Made processing it a bit hairy, but I compensated as best I could I suppose.
Glad you got up Jody. This image is stunning.

Tim
12-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #3045
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,124
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Glad you got up Jody. This image is stunning.

Tim
STUNNING ... Agreed. The only problem is I get cold looking at it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
15mm, boat, business, couple of weeks, daughter, district, falling, flickr, hour, iso, k3, k5iis, lens, night, night shot, pentax lens, person, photography, photos, post, ps, rendezvous, shot, shots, sigma 10-20mm, size, trip, version, water
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SIGMA 8-16mm CLUB ManhattanProject Lens Clubs 815 10-30-2018 04:56 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6, Sigma 170-500mm F5-6.3 davebest Sold Items 12 06-25-2009 02:48 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Lens Blowout; 50mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 400mm, etc. nufenstein Sold Items 13 03-30-2009 12:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top