Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3031
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The only weakness of the Sigma, AFAICT, is that it tends to produce flare.
Flare? What flare?

That's right. Keep forgetting that is also one of the advantages the f/3.5 version has over the old one. Ok, Ok...There was actually one flare here. A tiny one near the tree on the left, obviously very easy to be dealt with. But still, it is shooting directly into the setting sun.

12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #3032
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Flare? What flare?

That's right. Keep forgetting that is also one of the advantages the f/3.5 version has over the old one. Ok, Ok...There was actually one flare here. A tiny one near the tree on the left, obviously very easy to be dealt with. But still, it is shooting directly into the setting sun.
Perfectly put dcBear78 Sir - What Flare?
The Sigma 10-20 is a superb lens. I read some 3-years ago on the internet about flare tests done on some 4-lenses using natural light, street lamps, neon signs, car headlamps etc, and the Sigma came out with flying colors.
This is the best lens for the money - period. Ofcourse every one will have their opinions, but I request you read up comparitive test results on the net.
And I am sorry for you if you have a bad copy - every lens has a manufacturing tolerance, and sometimes they go awry.
It takes some time to master and tame this lens - took me 5-months.
Happy shooting.
Regards.
12-09-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #3033
Veteran Member

Geebus, people, here I am making an overall very positive assessment of this lens, and people still feel the need to be aggressive despite that? There's even green flare visible in the last shot I posted above! dcBear78, you're not even shooting with the same model as I am, plus you admit you had flare in your shot...

FWIW, there was not a giant, iridescent fish in the water when I took this shot:

(The bottom rocks are simply OOF - I didn't have the tripod with me. BTW, I still love this multi-exposure shot!)

nanhi, I'm quite willing to and interested in reading this test you allude to if you care to be so kind as to provide a link. But reading comparative tests results - which I did a lot of before deciding to buy! - won't make the real flare in my real-world results, with a real lens, disappear. FWIW, my copy is otherwise fine and plenty sharp, and I love it. The color rendering is simply superb, IMHO, and I don't think it's a bad copy. Of course, claiming that makes it easy to discount other people's real world observations...
12-09-2013, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #3034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma 10 20 4.5

12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #3035
Veteran Member

Geebus, people, here I am making an overall very positive assessment of this lens, and people still feel the need to be aggressive despite that? There's even green flare visible in the last shot I posted above! dcBear78, you're not even shooting with the same model as I am, plus you admit you had flare in your shot...

FWIW, there was not a giant, iridescent fish in the water when I took this shot:

(The bottom rocks are simply OOF - I didn't have the tripod with me. BTW, I still love this multi-exposure shot!)

nanhi, I'm quite willing to and interested in reading this test you allude to if you care to be so kind as to provide a link. But reading comparative tests results - which I did a lot of before deciding to buy! - won't make the real flare in my real-world results, with a real lens, disappear. FWIW, my copy is otherwise fine and plenty sharp, and I love it. The color rendering is simply superb, IMHO, and I don't think it's a bad copy. Of course, claiming that makes it easy to discount other people's real world observations...
Doundounba Sir, I am unclear on your take on flare for the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC Lens. Do note, even the best lens in the world will demonstrate some flare if pointed to a bright light source. Only a comparitive testing demonstrates how much flare and what is acceptable.
As I said, I read the SWA Lens Flare Test some 3-years ago, but I will try to search for it. Xavier Guiterrez is an auyhority on this lens. Do Google.
I too get a color streak with my lens at certain angles to the sun - a rare phenomena, which I am told exists with SWA lenses. Also when this lens was released by Sigma, close to 50% had one problem or the other. Later Sigma tightened their Quality Assurance & Bench Test.
Regards.
12-09-2013, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3036
Pentaxian

*snip*
If it helps, the 3.5 flares as well if you're not careful. Its kind of hard NOT to get flare when you're shooting at an aperture that takes up half the sky.

In my experience, the hood is an absolute must-have to keep on the lens. It solves a bulk of the flaring issues that could crop up with the thing.

The nice thing is that just looking at the shots from it, you can tell flare could be so much worse if the lens wasn't built so well.

Flarrrrre... Then again, this was deliberately into the sun and stopped way, way down.

12-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3037
Veteran Member

Has anyone taken any good photos exploiting the distortion inherent in ultra wide lens closeups? I don't recall seeing any on here, but I know I've taken a few here and there for fun, but only with my nikon version so I won't post them here. (closeup of a scrabble game, my dog's nose, a punch bowl, etc). I'd love to see a few from the very talented people here -- do you take requests?

12-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #3038
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Has anyone taken any good photos exploiting the distortion inherent in ultra wide lens closeups? I don't recall seeing any on here, but I know I've taken a few here and there for fun, but only with my nikon version so I won't post them here. (closeup of a scrabble game, my dog's nose, a punch bowl, etc). I'd love to see a few from the very talented people here -- do you take requests?
I'm certainly not one of the talented people here but I did post a close up of my dog Ernie a few pages ago. It's post #3010 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club-201.html#post2600567 I have a few where his nose is too close to the edge of the frame and it's hilariously elongated. Looks fine in the center of the frame though. He really does have that huge crook in his nose too. It's not particularly distorted by the lens.
12-14-2013, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #3039
Pentaxian

x-posted
12-14-2013, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #3040
Pentaxian

So in the end I went with the 4-5.6. Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing properly.

12-15-2013, 10:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3041
Veteran Member

Cool shot and nice new lens!

I have taken a few shots in that exact spot with my 10-20mm f4.0-5.6

12-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #3042
Veteran Member

Both nice shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Cool shot and nice new lens!

I have taken a few shots in that exact spot with my 10-20mm f4.0-5.6

12-17-2013, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #3043
Pentaxian

So very cold... ugh. I hope this one was worth it...

EDIT: It was so blisteringly cold, I didn't even think to doublecheck the camera settings, and wound up only shooting in JPG. Made processing it a bit hairy, but I compensated as best I could I suppose.

12-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #3044
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
So very cold... ugh. I hope this one was worth it...

EDIT: It was so blisteringly cold, I didn't even think to doublecheck the camera settings, and wound up only shooting in JPG. Made processing it a bit hairy, but I compensated as best I could I suppose.
Glad you got up Jody. This image is stunning.

Tim
12-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #3045
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Glad you got up Jody. This image is stunning.

Tim
STUNNING ... Agreed. The only problem is I get cold looking at it.