Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #3526

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Please note that we cannot view the photo in its entirety and have to scroll. This looses the impact of the Sigma's wide magic.
Or is it a problem with my 4K laptop?
Not quite sure. If you click it it should take you to my Flickr page.

12-18-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #3527
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hand held the 3.5 version, @5.6:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-19-2015, 11:49 PM - 5 Likes   #3528
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirror in the morning

Cabbage Tree Creek, Shornecliffe, Brisbane

Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
@20mm, F11, 1/5s, ISO 80

Last edited by Tas; 12-20-2015 at 01:31 AM.
12-20-2015, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #3529
Pentaxian

Shot yesterday evening... K5-IIs + Sigma 10-20

12-24-2015, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #3530
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woody Point Jetty in Brisbane

12-24-2015, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #3531
Pentaxian

x-posted in b&w thread
12-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #3532

Summer fun

12-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #3533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're correct there are few places in the world like Lake Louise and the Glacier Ice Field in the Rockies
With respect to your lens it sounds like the lubricant used to lubricate the auto focus drive inside the lens may have become thicker with fine dust and has collected at the end of the gears at the infinity end. In cold conditions the lubricant would have become even thicker overpowering the drive motor in the camera but would work fine at room temperature after the lubricant warmed up and got thinner. I would suggest, where the lens is 5 years old, having the lens taken apart, cleaned the lubricant replaced and the drive checked for defects (wear). I would also check to see if the lens is still under warranty and Sigma may repair the lens under the warranty. I have the same lens bought in Canada and it came with a 7 year warranty
12-28-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #3534
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I haven't taken too many landscapes with this lens so I can't comment on issues regarding infinity focus.

Day out with the kids during winter break. I decided to experiment with the UWA zoom today instead of taking the Amigos like I normally would.

12-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #3535
Veteran Member

Thank you, NS_Sailor Sir & JibbaJab. That the lens needs a CLA is a foregone conclusion based on your observation of dust on the gears and the grease thickening. 5-years is a long time. Just that I have used this lens very carefully, avoid changing lenses outdoors and keep my gear very very clean. After each major tour I clean the lenses and camera body with a British make painters brush (not Chinese cheapo), a massive Rocket Blower, a soft tooth brush (especially on the rubber grips) and a Japanese Micro Fiber Cloth.
Since the lens alignment, centering and collimation are a prime concern on SWA Lenses it has to go to Sigma Japan.
Many years back while researching use of a SWA Lens I learnt: a) Fog & haze prevent auto focusing to infinity by reflecting back the light and not allowing it to travel through the haze to distant objects like a mountain range. So the lens never reaches the Infinity point.
b) Beyond the first few meters, ultra-wide lenses tend to take a guess at focus. So the lens may not reach Infinity and that doesn’t help with sharpness. Manual focus can often be a better way to go. The main thing is to decide on the visual centre, and focus on that. DOF takes care of the rest.

Lovely children, smart and photogenic too. Thanks for the post JibbaJab Sir.
Regards.
12-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #3536
Veteran Member

Lovely children, smart and photogenic too. Thanks for the post JibbaJab Sir.
Regards.
Thanks for the compliment, Nanhi ji, and for the very helpful info on focusing UWA lenses at greater distances. It's actually JibbaJab ma'am. I hope the English language develops a gender neutral honorific at some point in its evolution!
12-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #3537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Thanks for the compliment, Nanhi ji, and for the very helpful info on focusing UWA lenses at greater distances. It's actually JibbaJab ma'am. I hope the English language develops a gender neutral honorific at some point in its evolution!
My Compliments to JibbaJab Maam. I think I shall be a grandfather to your pretty children as I am a "Nana" to a pretty Anya, my daughter's daughter, and "Dada" to naughty Anika, my son's daughter.
We don't use a generic "Grandpa" in India. I spend a lot of time in North America - San Mateo, CA & Thornhill, Toronto, Canada. Where are you in California?
God Bless.
12-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #3538
Veteran Member

My Compliments to JibbaJab Maam. I think I shall be a grandfather to your pretty children as I am a "Nana" to a pretty Anya, my daughter's daughter, and "Dada" to naughty Anika, my son's daughter.
We don't use a generic "Grandpa" in India. I spend a lot of time in North America - San Mateo, CA & Thornhill, Toronto, Canada. Where are you in California?
God Bless.
Your granddaughters have such pretty names! Do they live here or in India?

I live in Orange County. We also spend time in Edmonton, AB and Kelowna, BC since my husband is from Canada. My family is from Thailand, and we don't have a generic "Grandpa" either - plus my mother's side is part Chinese, so one granddad can be called 4 different names, depending on which child addressing him.
12-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #3539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Your granddaughters have such pretty names! Do they live here or in India?
I live in Orange County. We also spend time in Edmonton, AB and Kelowna, BC since my husband is from Canada. My family is from Thailand, and we don't have a generic "Grandpa" either - plus my mother's side is part Chinese, so one granddad can be called 4 different names, depending on which child addressing him.
Hello JibbaJab, so kind of you to have responded. My daughter lives in San Mateo California and my son in Thornhill, Ontario, Canada. They are all citizens of the respective nations. I am an NRI, that is a Non Resident Indian, having worked abroad - USA, Scotland, The Middle East, North Africa & the Russian Federation. I retired as an Advisor, Nissan ME, N.Africa & CIS.
Here are some photos on our Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sxea46nwm03y2y7/AAA87EzC3PlgK3CfTjxBAEc-a?dl=0

From the one full family picture you will understand all the rest - Anamika (33): L to R - daughter Anamika, her daughter Anya, son in law Renchi, self Bipin, wife Madhuri, son Amit, his daughter Anika, daughter in law Namrata. And the girls holding hands in Los Angeles are Anya on the Left and Anika on the right.
No wonder you addressed me as "ji". How beautiful is our Asian culture. "JI" is used after a name for respected elders in India. Thailand, Bangkok, Singapore, Malayasia, Bali, Indonesia, Burma are all replete with Hindu Temples and Hindu culture and dances from our holy granth the Ramayan.
God Bless and take care.
01-01-2016, 03:15 PM - 5 Likes   #3540

My very first astrophoto.. and I loved it!

Pentax K-3ii, iso 800, 10 mm, f/4.5, 160 s

Last edited by Andep; 01-01-2016 at 03:46 PM.