Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #76
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Javier: which CPL are you using? Does it vignette at 10mm?
TIA

Peter

12-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Man you guys are making it hard to wait for my lens to arrive... Quit posting all these awesome pictures,,,especially of my Hometown that I haven't seen in 13 years Jamesm007...mine won't arrive till the 5th, 5 days before my birthday..
12-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Javier: which CPL are you using? Does it vignette at 10mm?
TIA

Peter
Peter,
I am using the Hoya thin CPL Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizer Super Multi-Coated | X77CRPL
Pricey, but worth it in my opinion, because of the harsh light in L.A.
It does not catch the corners which is good. My biggest complaint of the sigma 10-20 has always been that the hood is too small and the lens is sensitive to lens flare. The CPL fixed that. Other wise I am fighting with it. Proper exposer usually meant blown highlights but proper forefront exposer, or if I metered for the highlights, noise in the shadows. This cpl fixed that for me
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #79
Veteran Member

With NO CPL

With CPL.

12-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Javier,
Thanks for keeping this thread going. I'm finding out what a lot of you know already, its not the number of lenses one has that makes for good photography, its the ones you really know how to use. Especially these ultra-wides, a pretty radical lens i think.

Those chalk art photos are outstanding, especially that one done in dark shadows with 4 portraits - wow!!!

I don't have a cpl for my 10-20 but got a UV filter with it. But occasionally i get a teardrop of iridescent flare with it. Do you think that a CPL would help eliminate the teardrop type flare or should i just take the UV filter off for some shots?

Axl - really love that History Museum shot, what a great building, and those ghostly figures wandering around add to the mystique of the building IMO.

Jeweltrail, the one with the sun eating out the corner of the book is really impressive, and the red barn with the branch about to knock one's block off, you know how to draw one's attention in your images - congrats

James007, great architectural images that minimize distortion, well done!

others too numerous to mention, keep the pics coming, i'm finally learning how to use this lens
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Peter,
I am using the Hoya thin CPL Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizer Super Multi-Coated | X77CRPL
It does not catch the corners which is good. My biggest complaint of the sigma 10-20 has always been that the hood is too small and the lens is sensitive to lens flare. The CPL fixed that. Other wise I am fighting with it. Proper exposer usually meant blown highlights but proper forefront exposer, or if I metered for the highlights, noise in the shadows. This cpl fixed that for me.

Peter & Jarvier:

I bought a 77mm thin, B & W linear polarizer for my 10-20. I learned, in an old thread posted by Mike Cash, that Pentax DSLRs can use a LP, without problems to the auto focus--this is unlike most other brands of DSLRs. Linear polarizers are a lot less expensive than circular polarizers, but perform just as well. Thanks again Mike--if you visit this thread. And Jarvier, thanks for your suggestion that I buy a polarizer some months back.
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #82
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A pair of 10-20 images from late this summer

Attached Images

12-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
philbaum: I'm finding out what a lot of you know already, its not the number of lenses one has that makes for good photography, its the ones you really know how to use.
Yes, I could not agree any more with you!

QuoteQuote:
philbaum: Jeweltrail, the one with the sun eating out the corner of the book is really impressive, and the red barn with the branch about to knock one's block off, you know how to draw one's attention in your images - congrats
Thanks Phil

Jarvier, that Beatles chalk portrait is might coooooooooooooooooool.
12-31-2009, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #84
Inactive Account

my best buy(apart from the k-7)

12-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ f8, 10mm. 1/80th. ISO 100, with a little distortion correction, and a linear polarizer.

[IMG][/IMG]
12-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Javier,
Thanks for keeping this thread going. I'm finding out what a lot of you know already, its not the number of lenses one has that makes for good photography, its the ones you really know how to use. Especially these ultra-wides, a pretty radical lens i think.

Those chalk art photos are outstanding, especially that one done in dark shadows with 4 portraits - wow!!!

I don't have a cpl for my 10-20 but got a UV filter with it. But occasionally i get a teardrop of iridescent flare with it. Do you think that a CPL would help eliminate the teardrop type flare or should i just take the UV filter off for some shots?
Thank you very much. The UV filter certainly helps if it is a good one, but it is my belief that for the Sigma 10-20 a CPL or LP is a must for those sunny days. Here is a straight out of the camera Jpeg with a CPL and rezised only in CS3

These are the watts towers, where the L.A. 1965 riots originated from. I went here today and will share more tomorrow.
Right now I am tired and off to bed. Happy New Year all...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Towers
01-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jgredline: bY the way. With my lens on the K20D i need to shoot it about 1 stop over to get proper exposer. Does anyone else have this problem?
Jarvier, for some strange reason, the Sigma 10-20mm is the only lens I have shot with that exposes correctly on my K20d. Bizzare! All of my other lenses shoot underexposed--about 2/3rds to a stop so.

It is not a problem for me, because %95 of all my shooting is done in the manual mode anyway. But, for those moments when you want the camera to do the work, it is nice to know I can trust the metering system with this lens.
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Jarvier, for some strange reason, the Sigma 10-20mm is the only lens I have shot with that exposes correctly on my K20d. Bizzare! All of my other lenses shoot underexposed--about 2/3rds to a stop so.

It is not a problem for me, because %95 of all my shooting is done in the manual mode anyway. But, for those moments when you want the camera to do the work, it is nice to know I can trust the metering system with this lens.
I thought about switching to M mode myself, but I love AV mode and hence I keep going back to it. That and TAV mode. Still, I love AV.

I have heard and read that the Sigma 10-20's develop their own personalities. This is especially true in the Nikon world. Same issues I read with Pentax and Sigma are also true of the Nikon, so I imagine it true of canon as well. Does not matter really, as the end result is what matters.
01-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #89
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Peter,
It does not catch the corners which is good. My biggest complaint of the sigma 10-20 has always been that the hood is too small and the lens is sensitive to lens flare. The CPL fixed that. Other wise I am fighting with it. Proper exposer usually meant blown highlights but proper forefront exposer, or if I metered for the highlights, noise in the shadows. This cpl fixed that for me
thanks, one more Q though, do you have shot at 10mm with CPL with lot of sky?
01-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #90
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Peter & Jarvier:

I bought a 77mm thin, B & W linear polarizer for my 10-20. I learned, in an old thread posted by Mike Cash, that Pentax DSLRs can use a LP, without problems to the auto focus--this is unlike most other brands of DSLRs. Linear polarizers are a lot less expensive than circular polarizers, but perform just as well. Thanks again Mike--if you visit this thread. And Jarvier, thanks for your suggestion that I buy a polarizer some months back.
would you happen to have a link to this thread?
I know there was a lot of discussion on CPL vs LPL. General consensus was CPL. Is it now confirmed that LPLs work harmlessly with Pentax AF?

BR
Peter