Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #1021
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
10mm with Hyperfocal Distance

Chapel Pond--ADKs

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.
01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #1022

This is a very good lens. Excellent value for money.
01-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #1023
Veteran Member

Original Poster
11mm @ 5.6--no crop

The rock serves to define the tree's submission to gravity: reminding us all.

01-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #1024
Veteran Member

One more from Lisbon then

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hi Anders--I hope not to come across as too selfish, but I sure would love to see more of Portugal if/when you can do that.
Hm, lets see ... snapshot, snapshot, snapshot, friend making goofy face, snapshot, ... here's one. Looks like the world's smallest street festival.

11mm, f9.

Regards,
--Anders.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #1025
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Hm, lets see ... snapshot, snapshot, snapshot, friend making goofy face, snapshot, ... here's one. Looks like the world's smallest street festival.

11mm, f9.

Regards,
--Anders.

Lovely Anders--I have not seen a shot of Portugal I did not like--something telling me to visit there. Those narrow streets look picture perfect for the 10-20mm.
01-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #1026
Veteran Member

Original Poster
10mm no crop. I posted a shot earlier in the thread from this series, but this is different in its own right--I think.

01-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #1027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, Jeweltrail, Chapel Pond. I used to climb there. Love your trees photos, whether standing or downed. Anders, I too would like to see more photos from Portugal. Beautiful shot!

Got this one yesterday, shot at 10mm, 1/90s, f16. The temperature was in the single digits (F degrees), and we had sun for the first time in weeks. Cropped out about half the foreground because my lens (filter) fogged from being inside my jacket when I was snowshoeing.

Energy

01-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #1028
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tamia: Ah, Jeweltrail, Chapel Pond. I used to climb there. Love your trees photos, whether standing or downed. Anders, I too would like to see more photos from Portugal. Beautiful shot!
I hope you did not disturb the Peregrines up there? That is vertical climbing---you must be seriously fit! Up 73 and over to 86, before the Gorge, there is another great place to climb, whereby you must hang upside down and rappel, horizontally, across the Ausable, to get to trailhead--have you done that too?

Amazing, the sun can provide energy, even through a beautiful photo--nice metering.
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #1029
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you did not disturb the Peregrines up there? That is vertical climbing---you must be seriously fit! Up 73 and over to 86, before the Gorge, there is another great place to climb, whereby you must hang upside down and rappel, horizontally, across the Ausable, to get to trailhead--have you done that too?

Amazing, the sun can provide energy, even through a beautiful photo--nice metering.
My climbing on the outcrops at Chapel Pond was along the edges, more scrambling. No peregrines that I knew of then, about 30 years back, but I'd like to see them to photograph them these days. No, I've not done any technical climbing over by Wilmington. I did do geological research at High Falls Gorge, and that required poking around on the rocks of the river and slopes there.

Thanks. I normally wouldn't shoot electrical lines and towers, but the juxtaposition of the sun and the lines seemed symbolic, and there's even a jet contrail heading toward the left pole of the nearest tower.
01-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #1030

I'm considering to buy this lens, and I want to know if you use any filters on it?
01-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #1031
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by missbrojensen Quote
I'm considering to buy this lens, and I want to know if you use any filters on it?
Yes, I use a regular (not a thin) UV filter on all my lenses. I also bought a LINEAR Polarizer (instead of a Circular Polarizer) for the Sigma 10-20mm as an experiment. Haven't had a chance to try the polarizer yet.

A note is in order about using the UV filter: I got the regular rather than the thin UV because I wanted to be able to keep the filter on all the time for protection of the lens element. The thin filters have no outside threads, as I understand it, so a lens cover wouldn't clamp on.

Also, and more importantly, as I first screwed on the UV I watched carefully and thought I saw the hint of contact between the lens element and the UV filter. I pulled off the filter, and knotted heavy duty sewing thread around the filter thread which is closest to the glass. I put on two wraps and used a toothpick to be sure the sewing thread was snug inside the screw thread closest to the glass. Then I screwed on the filter, watching with my hand lens as I snugged the filter in place. No contact between lens element and UV, because the sewing thread offers a barrier to over-tightening.

Sorry for the long-winded answer to your question, but I am concerned that some filters might contact the front elements of some of these wonderful Sigma lenses and thought I should describe what I did about it.
01-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #1032
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
missbrojensen:I'm considering to buy this lens, and I want to know if you use any filters on it?
I do not use any filters on this lens at all. I do, sometimes, use a polarizer (linear).
01-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #1033
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tamia: No peregrines that I knew of then, about 30 years back, but I'd like to see them to photograph them these days. No, I've not done any technical climbing over by Wilmington. I did do geological research at High Falls Gorge, and that required poking around on the rocks of the river and slopes there.
The Peregrines sometimes nest there. When they do, any trails, techinical or hiking, which go anywhere near the nests are closed.

Downstream from High Falls Gorge, behind the NY DOEC campground, there is a wild, scenic, but smaller gorge which is home to a very large and forceful falls. Awesome to explore, it is free of grooming for the purpose of generating revenue, unlike the Gorge upstream. Do you know where I mean?
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #1034
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Peregrines sometimes nest there. When they do, any trails, techinical or hiking, which go anywhere near the nests are closed.

Downstream from High Falls Gorge, behind the NY DOEC campground, there is a wild, scenic, but smaller gorge which is home to a very large and forceful falls. Awesome to explore, it is free of grooming for the purpose of generating revenue, unlike the Gorge upstream. Do you know where I mean?
It's good to know that the peregrines are making a comeback and that the trails and cliffs are closed when they're nesting there.

I have never been in that campground, but believe I remember it. You must be talking about a gorge upstream of the Flume, or perhaps the Flume itself. The Flume is not far from 86, downstream of the horribly commercialized High Falls Gorge (at least it was when I was last there). I was able to scramble around the Gorge and environs without paying a fee, and was there in the off-tourist season, so it was deserted and attractive.
01-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #1035
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tamia: It's good to know that the peregrines are making a comeback and that the trails and cliffs are closed when they're nesting there.
Agreed!

QuoteQuote:
Tamia: I have never been in that campground, but believe I remember it. You must be talking about a gorge upstream of the Flume, or perhaps the Flume itself. The Flume is not far from 86, downstream of the horribly commercialized High Falls Gorge (at least it was when I was last there). I was able to scramble around the Gorge and environs without paying a fee, and was there in the off-tourist season, so it was deserted and attractive.
Well, here is a shot, with my Sigma 10-20mm, of the falls to which I refer--immediately after these fallls, is the "gorge" I speak of. Perhaps it is what you mean when you say "Flume," though I thought it was a gorge. Anyway, these falls are right behind the NY DOEC campground. I took this shot to compare the Sigma to my Tamron lens--the falls is better done @ slightly larger focal lengths, which is where the Tamron 17-50 picks up. No crop or filters 20mm