Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #1426
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I've used the da 16-50, so have a little experience. do you think a graduated ND filter is indispensable for outdoorsy shots?
It's certainly good to have one readily available, but TBH I haven't used mine with the 10-20 yet.

16mm is comfortably wide, but get out there and shoot with the 10mm. If you don't pay enough attention, your toes will be in the shot. You will need to learn to put interesting things in the foreground (or keep them out as you wish).

05-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #1427
Inactive Account

Off Topic (sorry)

JVA59,
Have you been to Greece before? If not, go to my Webshots pages briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots and look for albums named GR1 through GR13 for my 2004 trip (shot with a Pentax Optio 33WR) and also named Italy-Greece07 for my 2007 trip (shot with a K10D and mostly a Sigma 17-70). It's a wonderfully photogenic place.
05-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #1428
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I've used the da 16-50, so have a little experience. do you think a graduated ND filter is indispensable for outdoorsy shots?
jva, my 2 cents (hope I'm not butting in) is the ND grad is great, whenever you have a composition with lots of sky and you do not want to blow the sky out (clip the highlights). Often, to preserve highlight detail in a sky, you need to underexpose the foreground to such a large degree that it is very dark, and uninteresting. The problem is most acute when the Sun is close to or in the composition (sunrises and sets), especially. If you are good with HDR, you can get around this, but I prefer the ND Grad. Until cameras can capture light with the dynamic range of our eyes, ND grads will have a place in my bag.

That said, I understand why calicojack has not used his yet: I do not use the 10-20 much with the sky in the composition.
05-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #1429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks for advice, everyone!

JVA

05-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #1430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks much for your comments, JT. Great shots Falke and Richard. Beautiful colors in your landscape, Ajaxmgr.

Three more from the abandoned hospital...

We Don't Need No Education Shot through an open window (I wouldn't step inside), showing a former classroom.

Unhappy Face

Boarded Up

05-20-2011, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #1431

A few when I was back home in MI last week:

Arctic Ring of Life exhibit at the Detroit Zoo:

The Horace Rackham Memorial Fountain (also at the zoo):

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island:
05-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #1432
Veteran Member

One from last year, Pentax K20D + Sigma 10-20mm

Turnberry | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

One from yesterday, Canon EOS 7D + Sigma 10-20mm

Squall on the summit of Dumyat | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #1433
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tamia: We Don't Need No Education Shot through an open window (I wouldn't step inside), showing a former classroom.
You sure do find some rather unique subjects! Also, you have used more sophisticated PPing in this series, and it works splendidly. I love the winking, "Unhappy Face," but must tell you it actually looks happy to me--not sure why, perhaps there is one of those Mona Lisa like things going on in this one. Simply great stuff!!!

QuoteQuote:
guinnessman: A few when I was back home in MI last week:
guinnessman: Is that "Artic Ring of Life" exhibit actually underwater? That is cooooool.

QuoteQuote:
Big G One from last year, Pentax K20D + Sigma 10-20mm
One from yesterday, Canon EOS 7D + Sigma 10-20mm
Both of these are very nice. Do you recommend that B & W 1000X ND? I'm amazed you can do an 88 second exposure and nail it like that. How many tries does it take to get the exposure correct? Do you do the math first, or are you proficient with these kinds of exposures? The squall is a real treat--amazing how much area is captured within that shot.
05-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #1434
Veteran Member

I would actually recommend going for a Lee Filter System and their 10 stop "Lee Big Stopper" as it's much easier to control / use along with graduated neutral density filters. As the B+W is a screw on filter, you need to 'guess' where to put a grad filter (if you can) where as with the Lee system you can line up a grad filter then slip in the big stopper. Additionally, the colour cast of the Lee Big Stopper is easier to correct than the magenta cast of the B+W.

With regards to exposure time, I generally just guess it; I've got enough experience with long exposures to get pretty close by judging the light level by eye and then firing off a shot. If I find that I've underexposed by half a stop to one stop, then I will make the aperture bigger (I usually start at f/11 to give me headroom to come down to f/8) and take it again for roughly the same time. If i'm already at f/8, then I may need to double up the exposure time, so if I took a shot at f/8 and found it underexposed by a stop after 60 seconds, I will take it again but run it for 120 seconds.

As most of my landscapes are around 10mm to 12mm, f/8 still gives plenty DoF and keeps the Sigma in the sweet spot for sharpness.
05-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #1435

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

guinnessman: Is that "Artic ring of Life" exhibit actually underwater? That is cooooool. :
Part of it, from the Zoo website:
QuoteQuote:
The Arctic Ring of Life is North America’s largest polar bear exhibit, which also houses arctic foxes and seals. This state-of-the-art, $14.9 million, interactive facility encompasses over four acres of outdoor and indoor exhibits.

The most unique feature of the Arctic Ring of Life is the spectacular 70-foot-long Frederick and Barbara Erb Polar Passage, a clear tunnel that winds through a vast underwater marine environment. This 12-foot-wide, 8-foot-tall tunnel takes visitors underneath diving and swimming polar bears and seals! The bears and seals are separated from each other by a transparent barrier but appear to share one aquatic environment. Visitors then arrive in an "ice world", passing through a frigid ice cave and finally entering the Exploration Station with
Arctic Ring of Life - Detroit Zoo

Here's a shot of a polar bear swimming overhead:
05-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #1436
Veteran Member

The Perfect Storm | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
05-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #1437
Forum Member

Perfect storm

Love this shot. Also went to your website and love the shot with the man on the end of the dock. What software did you use? Thanks for sharing.
05-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #1438
Forum Member

Sunrise over Old river, Cove Tx

05-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #1439
Inactive Account

Beautiful.
06-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #1440
Forum Member

Thank you Calicojack. Had fun taking this but the mesquitos almost carried me off. Thank goodness for spray