Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #691
Forum Member

Sometimes, my best shots with this lens happen when I'm not even looking through it:

I find this strange, especially since ultra wide photography is highly sensitive to minor changes in position.

07-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #692
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that's a great shot IMO, and even better B&W conversion!
Well done
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #693
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Hello Photo: I find this strange, especially since ultra wide photography is highly sensitive to minor changes in position.
LOL--I agree. Nice shot, whatever you did.
07-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #694

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone have any comment on the non-HSM version of this lens? Is it optically equivalent to the HSM version? I cant seem to find any info online because everything is on the HSM version.

07-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #695
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
Does anyone have any comment on the non-HSM version of this lens? Is it optically equivalent to the HSM version? I cant seem to find any info online because everything is on the HSM version.
I might be wrong, but I think the confusion is that the Pentax mount version of this lens does not feature the HSM (the f/4-5.6 version), but it is present in the Canon and Nikon mount versions. However, the default designation for the lens refers to the HSM feature. I double checked mine, and no HSM as I thought. The Sigma web site lists the lens as non-HSM in Pentax mount.

Presume the lens is optically the same.

The newer f/3.5 version features HSM in Pentax mount.

Cheers
Kevin
07-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #696
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
KevinR:I might be wrong, but I think the confusion is that the Pentax mount version of this lens does not feature the HSM (the f/4-5.6 version), but it is present in the Canon and Nikon mount versions. However, the default designation for the lens refers to the HSM feature. I double checked mine, and no HSM as I thought. The Sigma web site lists the lens as non-HSM in Pentax mount.

Presume the lens is optically the same.

The newer f/3.5 version features HSM in Pentax mount.

Cheers
Kevin
Spot on analysis Kevin. In fact, when I bought my Sigma 10-20mm f4- 5.6 version over a year ago, it was sold to me as an "HSM" version at Abes of Maine. I called them and explained their mistake, but they continued to publish in error. Many people in photography can not see beyond their C & N nearsightedness. LOL

Here is a Maine shot, @ 10mm--a little HDR work--love what this lens allows in composition.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 08-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.
07-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #697
Veteran Member

K20D with the Old school Sigma 10-20

From the Pasadena Chalk festival. This is the largest chalk festival in the world.

07-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #698
Veteran Member

K20D with the Old school Sigma 10-20

07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #699
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
olenl:About "shooting into the sun".
It seems like da15 limited can shoot into the sun and still have usable picture, unlike this lens. Is this correct?

For example, can sigma 10-20mm do things like this?

in this picture, there's sun but most of the image around it is still usable, except for the rays. While with sigma 10-20mm, in most pictures with sun in it, the whole area around the sun is ruined, not just narrow rays.

So, is it only possible with da15?
I have some shots in my library with the Sigma 10-20mm which are directly into the Sun--no flare--the Sigma is impressive with flare. I have not taken time to meter a shot specifically to get the star effect you speak of here, but there are filters which generate this effect.

QuoteQuote:
jgredline: From the Pasadena Chalk festival. This is the largest chalk festival in the world.
Jarvier, those are great candid shots with lots of vibrant colors.
07-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #700
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one was taken in the rain--one hand on the shutter button, the other wiping the lens with a lens cloth--timing was everything to get a decent shot. The falls is over 70 feet high.

07-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #701
Inactive Account

Great Balls of Fire!

Mine arrived via UPS this afternoon. I immediately put it on my K20 and fooled around in my home "office", but was a little disappointed in the sharpness at nearly every focal length and aperture. After being in the hot UPS truck, I think that the heat affected the lens a bit, because it seemed to sharpen up considerably. I realize I have some learning to do with this shooter. I got it from Adorama and they included a 77mm Tiffen UV filter. I am not accustomed to using UV filters, but maybe will give it a try. I was very happy to find this "club" on the forum, and this was some time after I had ordered the lens. I am flabbergasted at the variety and beauty of the photos seen. I hope to be able to contribute after some period of practice. Thanks to all who have posted and commented on this lens.
07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #702
Veteran Member

Javier, I like those chalk shots. I especially liked the effect on the woman with the dreds. I just picked up a DA12-24 from another forum member primarily for use as a street lens.

Good inspiration. On the other hand, there is something about seeing street shots without the interesting 99 cent grit that doesn't seem like you.
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #703
Inactive Account

10-20 Overexposure problems

Hello fellow 10-20 fans. I also love my copy of the 10-20; however, recently I began noticing crazy overexposures when shooting at small apertures. This behavior isn't consistent. I have attached two images from a set of 15 photos I took Sunday, using identical settings on the lens and camera. The first 12 are so overexposed that I can't even recover the highlights, the last 3 are fairly well exposed. I am attaching the 12th and 15th of the series.

The attached images are all shot in with the K-7, RAW, Av Mode, ISO 100, Matrix Metering. The camera calculated a shutter speed of 1/80" for both images, which seems about right given the Sunny 16 rule but as you can see they are not even close.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Am I even posting this in the correct thread? Maybe I will post it over in a K-7 thread as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images

07-26-2010, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #704
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

and this one was taken with a B+W Circular Polarizer 82mm filter with a step down ring. besides being desaturated, no editing

Love this lens
07-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #705
Inactive Account

Beautiful shelby from a few weeks ago. It was stark white, very difficult to take a photo of in the sun without blowing out, was as good as I could get.

And I guess this was ok too.